22-250 vs. 223

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

223 would be my choice but that's just an opinion. I personally for hunting would avoid a varmint barrel purely from a weight point of view. After all they were used in the field for shooting pra

Seriously Decker I've read quite a few posts of your over the year's and this reinforces what I already knew that your a bit of a clever c**t.

The 243 comment Was because I know several people who have gone the 243 route because the 243 has got a lot more punch and wind riding ability out at range. Just because the 243 is more powerful you d

6 hours ago, allydog said:

I have a slot on my ticket for a. 22 cf which one should I choose both howa 1500 varmint barrel rifles . 223 or 22-250........

•  
Posted 8 hours ago, allydog said:

Why would this concern you? Your reply is not conducive to my original post so not helpful in the slightest. 

You seem to have an odd attitude about you, how can anyone possibly give you anything like a useful response without you telling us what you want to do with it!

"What do you want to do with it and why do you want a Varmint barrel?"

Which part of that isn't constructive and if you allegedly have experience and decided on a Varmint barrel why are you asking advice about the calibre?  A .22CF is an unusual grant as it is so wide ranging, the regions tend to be a bit more specific, it was a sensible and reasonable question to ask, and now you are suggesting you want a .223 or 22-250 for "pest control" which is hardly helpful for informed responses either.

Edited by Deker
5 minutes ago, Deker said:

You seem to have an odd attitude about you, how can anyone possibly give you anything like a useful response without you telling us what you want to do with it!

"What do you want to do with it and why do you want a Varmint barrel?"

Which part of that isn't constructive and if you allegedly have experience and decided on a Varmint barrel why are you asking advice about the calibre?  A .22CF is an unusual grant as it is so wide ranging, the regions tend to be a bit more specific, it was a sensible and reasonable question to ask, and are now suggesting you want a .223 or 22-250 for "pest control" which is hardly helpful for informed responses either.

Seriously Decker I've read quite a few posts of your over the year's and this reinforces what I already knew that your a bit of a clever c**t.

• Like 2
On 25/11/2017 at 10:24, allydog said:

I have a slot on my ticket for a. 22 cf which one should I choose both howa 1500 varmint barrel rifles . 223 or 22-250 that 8s the question

Both of those caibres as you know will do the job for pest control, only you know the land and ranges that you will be shoting over.

The 22.250 will do everything the .223 will and out to a greater range, if you intend to shoot in excess of 300mtrs I would opt for the 22.250

ATB...........Del

• Thanks 1
Just now, delswal said:

Both of those caibres as you know will do the job for pest control, only you know the land and ranges that you will be shoting over.

The 22.250 will do everything the .223 will and out to a greater range, if you intend to shoot in excess of 300mtrs I would opt for the 22.250

ATB...........Del

Thanks for that much appreciated that's the kind of response I was after unlike Decker!!! 

8 hours ago, allydog said:

Thanks for that much appreciated that's the kind of response I was after unlike Decker!!! 

If you have the cash get both, use the .223 as a lamping set up and the 22.250 for long range day time work, but if you do get both start home loading :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

I would just make sure you get a fast twist in either calibre as it gives you greater choice in bullet weights from say a 75 amax to a 55g blar blar , I have a desire for a 1/8 twist varmint 22.250 :drinks:

At the end of the day its what you prefer . bang flop is a bit further with the bigger round ..  

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, allydog said:

I no longer want to hunt deer so no longer require a deer caliber rife I've had a 22-250 before and enjoyed it, I've never used a. 223 I believe that they are much softer shooting round and much less barrel wear so just wanted some input before I make my choice 

The 243 comment Was because I know several people who have gone the 243 route because the 243 has got a lot more punch and wind riding ability out at range. Just because the 243 is more powerful you don't have to drive the tool at full chat. A Ferrari doesn't have to be driven flat out. The blokes that I know who use the 243 use light loads and bullets in the 55grn range. I have 222, 223, 243 and 270. I have a super accurate light load for the 270. I usually use the 223 because I like it but I would use the 270 also if the fancy took me. At most sensible ranges that a target is identified and engaged any of the 22cf's will do the job. The closest that I have shot a fox is the other side of an apple tree and the longest out to 300 and that was only because it had been identified at closer range before it went away. The weight thing is a big consideration if you have to operate on foot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Outback 1 said:

I would just make sure you get a fast twist in either calibre as it gives you greater choice in bullet weights from say a 75 amax to a 55g blar blar , I have a desire for a 1/8 twist varmint 22.250 :drinks:

At the end of the day its what you prefer . bang flop is a bit further with the bigger round ..  

Can you get 250s in 1:8? I didn't know that. :thumbs:

.223 is the better allround calibre ( my opinion )

.22-250 would however give an advantage in knockdown power and trajectory and wind drift if you were regularly shooting past 200 yards on a night. 

If you shoot different areas land types then go .223.if your land consists of huge wide open fields then the bigger calibre would be useful so go .22-250

I use the .223 90% of the time with 40grainers. When it’s windy on the bigger fields  I use the .243 with 75 grainers but I find the .223 a very quiet , cheap and effective round to shoot.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...