22-250 vs. 223

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

223 would be my choice but that's just an opinion. I personally for hunting would avoid a varmint barrel purely from a weight point of view. After all they were used in the field for shooting pra

Seriously Decker I've read quite a few posts of your over the year's and this reinforces what I already knew that your a bit of a clever c**t.

The 243 comment Was because I know several people who have gone the 243 route because the 243 has got a lot more punch and wind riding ability out at range. Just because the 243 is more powerful you d

223 would be my choice but that's just an opinion.

I personally for hunting would avoid a varmint barrel purely from a weight point of view. After all they were used in the field for shooting prairie dog towns where getting the barrel hot was an issue, it is rare for that to happen in the UK other than at a range.

U.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I typed in a reply and it vanished !!!. As above post about weight with scope,  moderator, bipod and stuff. It's ok if you're operating off of a vehicle but it ain't much fun humping that load about. Unless you are shooting loads of rounds and heat of the barrel is an issue then you don't necessarily need a varmint barrel. Consider cost of ammunition and reloading ect. I don't know what the cost of bought ammunition is because I reported all of my ammo apart from 22lr obviously. Both Cal's are good but if I were going for the 250 I would ask for a 243 instead. Or consider a 222. There's a lot of whys and wherefores involved. Dead is dead and Charlie won't know the difference.

I have had both, currently I have a Ruger #1 in 22.250. For the actual shooting aspect, the rifle is the most important. I reload and

the 22.250 case is bigger, more robust and uses Large Rifle Primers, the .223 uses Small Rifle Primers,  I also have 2 larger calibre

stalking rifles, which (of course) use LR Primers as well, so purely on this basis the 22.250 is the choice for me.

On a practical level for foxing I have used both sorts extensively, and to be honest they are both the 'same' at least on my patch?

The only variance with mine was that the 223 performed best with 55gr Nosler Varmint, the 22.250 does best with 55gr Hollow Point Sierra's

but that's the rifle again.

• Thanks 1

I am quite a fan of Sierra and use the 55 bthp gameking in my 223. I load 4895 and the result is hot. They go over the chrono at 3400. I'm confident out to about 300 paces but eighty is more the norm for me because I can identify the target clearly.

Edited by Meece
On 26/11/2017 at 15:50, Meece said:

I typed in a reply and it vanished !!!. As above post about weight with scope,  moderator, bipod and stuff. It's ok if you're operating off of a vehicle but it ain't much fun humping that load about. Unless you are shooting loads of rounds and heat of the barrel is an issue then you don't necessarily need a varmint barrel. Consider cost of ammunition and reloading ect. I don't know what the cost of bought ammunition is because I reported all of my ammo apart from 22lr obviously. Both Cal's are good but if I were going for the 250 I would ask for a 243 instead. Or consider a 222. There's a lot of whys and wherefores involved. Dead is dead and Charlie won't know the difference.

I no longer want to hunt deer so no longer require a deer caliber rife I've had a 22-250 before and enjoyed it, I've never used a. 223 I believe that they are much softer shooting round and much less barrel wear so just wanted some input before I make my choice 

21 hours ago, Deker said:

What do you want to do with it and why do you want a Varmint barrel?

Out of interest what region gave you a slot for a .22CF?  There is a heck of a lot of difference between a Hornet and a 22-250?

Who wants a hornet? I never stated that in my post, I like the varmint barrel as I have found them more accurate (just my opinion) purely for pest control, Cumbria why do you ask? 

1 hour ago, allydog said:

Who wants a hornet? I never stated that in my post, I like the varmint barrel as I have found them more accurate (just my opinion) purely for pest control, Cumbria why do you ask? 

.22CF covers Hornet to 22-250 (plus anything else I may have forgotten), a range of power from circa 300 to nearly 2000ft lb.  So it is a little odd that any region would grant such a wide option with simply the term .22CF!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1