Why have SbS shotguns gone out of fashion.

Nothing carries as nice as a sxs.

Friend of mine just bought a boxlock ejector for £60! Bargain.

Only ever bought two super imposed, won't bother again.

Personally I don't think they have gone out of fashion. Just that the market is getting smaller, most cabinets in the country side will have a double gun with the barrels fixed the correct way.

Only poor shots and people full of excuses don't use side by side guns :-)

U.

• Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been after a decent side by side for a while picked this up this evening  AYA Yeoman no 4 it's in tip top condition the barrels were like glass well chuffed now got to get a day off to try it out

For me it is always a sxs hammer gun for both game shooting and pest control  using both nitro and black powder. Feltwad 20 bore  sxs by Smythe  of Darlington

I am not advocating any sort of gun because I've got all sorts but I kind of get the feeling that for some reason some guns are looked down upon as if they of no use whatsoever. It's like short barrel

Posted Images

Apart from my other guns i have a 12 bore AYA no3 sxs, a 20 bore AYA no4 sxs and a cracking little spanish .410 sxs. I quite like to shoot them aswell. Our syndicate captain runs a .410 only driven day once a year with the proceeds going to a local kids charity hospice. A lot of local shooters want to come and do this day as it is great fun, i use my .410 sxs on it and really enjoy shooting it. 

Now I don't mind shooting anything she, o/u, pump, single but a bloke I know is a real SBS fan. He doesn't even want to have a go with one of my O/U's when we get together with mates on our yearly friends clay shoot. He has amongst quite a few, a Holland and Holland sidelock made for Payne Galway back in the 1800s and a Very pretty 12 bore made on a 16 bore size action. All he shoots is 21 and 24 grm. Usually Hull comp X.

Ok why then does it seem that no one wants to buy in SbS's?

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 22:27, Meece said:

Now I don't mind shooting anything she, o/u, pump, single but a bloke I know is a real SBS fan. He doesn't even want to have a go with one of my O/U's when we get together with mates on our yearly friends clay shoot. He has amongst quite a few, a Holland and Holland sidelock made for Payne Galway back in the 1800s and a Very pretty 12 bore made on a 16 bore size action. All he shoots is 21 and 24 grm. Usually Hull comp X.

Ok why then does it seem that no one wants to buy in SbS's?

I understand this person how he feels about sxs I am the same with me I  started shooting  68 years ago when sxs were the thing you only rarely saw a o/u in the field

Feltwad

Most people learn to shoot at a clay ground these days and are taught using an o/u. The sight picture is different  on a sbs so the vast amount of people stick with what they know which invariably will be o/u. This makes sbs gun users a minority so consequently the gun shops cater for whatever sells the most. 

Nothing looks as in keeping with field shooting as a SxS. Frankly I think I'd prefer to have one over my Silver Pigeon. Only reasons holding me back really are OUs will handle recoil better and I'm not really that bothered to go to the hassle of chopping. Multi chokes and single triggers I don't see as an advantage.

To be perfectly honest, given the freedom I'd use a half choked semi over either for everything.

2 hours ago, ianm said:

Most people learn to shoot at a clay ground these days and are taught using an o/u. The sight picture is different  on a sbs so the vast amount of people stick with what they know which invariably will be o/u. This makes sbs gun users a minority so consequently the gun shops cater for whatever sells the most. 

I know a lady that rejected a super imposed and chose a sxs instead for clays, recently, double triggers too.

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

I know a lady that rejected a super imposed and chose a sxs instead for clays, recently, double triggers too.

I can choose and operate the barrel i want to fire faster on a double trigger sbs than i can on a single selective trigger o/u. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ianm said:

I can choose and operate the barrel i want to fire faster on a double trigger sbs than i can on a single selective trigger o/u. 

Nothing in it for me. I've selected which barrel I want before the gun is in my shoulder and it happens at the same time the safety is flicked off. It's easier to change your mind once mounted with double triggers but personally that never happens for me. So I don't really think one has any advantage over the other in this respect. Switching between double triggers or operating a selector becomes second nature in both cases I think.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Nothing in it for me. I've selected which barrel I want before the gun is in my shoulder and it happens at the same time the safety is flicked off. It's easier to change your mind once mounted with double triggers but personally that never happens for me. So I don't really think one has any advantage over the other in this respect. Switching between double triggers or operating a selector becomes second nature in both cases I think.

Well, I was out with someone who felt the same until he shot a duck with one shot, opened the gun and shut it again on the one unfired cartridge due to two geese approaching. Click, no recoil, no second barrel either! Beretta need recoil to switch barrels for the single trigger.

On that occasion my sxs with two triggers dropped both geese!

U.

• Like 2
Just now, Underdog said:

Well, I was out with someone who felt the same until he shot a duck with one shot, opened the gun and shut it again on the one unfired cartridge due to two geese approaching. Click, no recoil, no second barrel either! Beretta need recoil to switch barrels for the single trigger.

On that occasion my sxs with two triggers dropped both geese!

U.

Not an issue if you are switched on and select the second barrel. I've done exactly that more than once. It just requires you to be mindful of it.

Every time I'm mounting the gun, my thumb is slipping the safety and I'm making a decision which barrel I want first. If you shoot enough and drill yourself to always use the safety it becomes second nature.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2017 at 20:20, FLATTOP said:

I've been after a decent side by side for a while picked this up this evening  AYA Yeoman no 4 it's in tip top condition the barrels were like glass well chuffed now got to get a day off to try it out. IMG_0995.thumb.JPG.b669f8eec8e1492f255bbd6c5072e7fc.JPG

AYA are good guns, however it will either be a yeoman or a no4 they are different guns. I have had a yeoman in the past and i currently own a no3 12 bore and a no4 20 bore.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ianm said:

AYA are good guns, however it will either be a yeoman or a no4 they are different guns. I have had a yeoman in the past and i currently own a no3 12 bore and a no4 20 bore.

It's a No 4 ejector 26" barrels double trigger I think I picked up the yeoman bit by doing a lot of research on them yeoman kept popping up and it stuck in my mind I was looking at the 20 bore nice guns.