SGC and working away

Hi guys,

Had my interview today and it went better than  I could've hoped so hopefully I'll have my certificate this side of Christmas, which is all good.

I was chatting to my brother about it afterwards and he said he was doubtful that he'd be granted one as he works away abroad for 3 months at a time. I said I would imagine that he'd be ok and could, possibly, store any guns he had at an rfd or put them down as shared with either myself or my dad so we could keep them looked after while he was away.

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of this or could offer up any solutions?

Thanks,

Gaz 

There's no legal requirement for a certificate holder to be in the country 12 months of the year....BUT if the FEO gets snotty about it then as you say put the guns down as shared with you and bung them in your cabinet. Could get pricey lodging them with an RFD for months at a time.

Cheers Walshie, thanks for the advice.

I take it the best course of action would be for him to apply and just ask his FEO and see what their opinion is. There seems to be a lot of variation depending on where you live in the country when it comes to getting your certificate. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 23:11, Rabid said:

I can't see why they would ask if you was away for a few months in the first place.

I've been asked multiple times by FEOs. I think they're more concerned about the house being left unattended than the certificate holder not being present though which means if the gent in question has family at home while he is away he might be alright with the issue.