dave platts' saracen

30 minutes ago, PJCaswell said:

A lot of nonsense is talked on here about Dave Platt and his dogs.

He is a genuinely interesting character, and he’s really honest about what he is trying to do - which is to produce what he somewhat eccentrically refers to as an ‘English’ deerhound.  His dogs pretty much look the same and have similar temperaments. Essentially smaller more robust deerhound type dogs. Have spoken to a fair few people who own a dog with a ‘Platt’ in it and they all say the same thing - they are incredibly slow to develop but when they do they are big biddable dogs that are really happy to work but aren’t obsessive killing machines. Am sure this puts a lot of people off both Dave and his dogs.

Obviously people will have different opinions on dogs and those that bred them, and that’s fair enough, but without obsessives like Dave there isn't really a future.    

Your right pal a lot of noncence Is talked on here.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had some great times with my Deerhound hybrids, back in the 1980s,...everybody had em...  

Here you are mick,sheps on the right I think,the one on the left is S.T's deerhound cross red?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, morton said:

Ive been looking for nearly 2 years for a decent bitch or whelp of that type Penny and ive found zilch worth feeding,its an absolute travesty that such an honest breeding as been allowed to slide because the folk suited to that cross are growing old and leaving the game,the vast,vast,vast majority of newcomers would,nt know how to enter or educate such a cross.The biggest travesty is that my lad is going to put his over a Wheaten bred lurcher because the two of us cannot source anything better.

That's the most genuine talk  and in all probability very true. Has for obsessive behaviour breeding performance animals fa work at times needs an out xes from purity,.  D platt I don't think would even consider this fa me the Wheaton blood would do wonde s fa the deerhound grit and prey drive and constitution would lend itself amongst other qualities to the xs .the need fa  earlier maturity his necessary ithevworking dog man knows where they week just that we mainly prefer to work jukels not play tittle title geneticists.two three grand a nest of welps usually does make a peddler obsessive ,but that be fa coin,and not always fa the best of a performance breed.atb bunnys

Seen a lot of different Deerhounds and crosses out working on the hill doing a proper job early 90s-2000s and the best ones I seen were bred by AW just a pity he no longer keeps them. If I were after a Deerhound it would be dogs bred down from his stuff I'd be looking for,somebody will still have it somewhere .

11 hours ago, billhardy said:

That's the most genuine talk  and in all probability very true. Has for obsessive behaviour breeding performance animals fa work at times needs an out xes from purity,.  D platt I don't think would even consider this fa me the Wheaton blood would do wonde s fa the deerhound grit and prey drive and constitution would lend itself amongst other qualities to the xs .the need fa  earlier maturity his necessary ithevworking dog man knows where they week just that we mainly prefer to work jukels not play tittle title geneticists.two three grand a nest of welps usually does make a peddler obsessive ,but that be fa coin,and not always fa the best of a performance breed.atb bunnys

Am sure Platt wouldn't go near a Wheaton. But that's the point. He is doing his thing - rightly or wrongly, to try to keep the working deerhound lurcher alive using greyhounds and deerhounds. That's his thing, might work, might not. But I wish there were more people out there trying to do something similar with a type of running dog they love. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, PJCaswell said:

A lot of nonsense is talked on here about Dave Platt and his dogs.

He is a genuinely interesting character, and he’s really honest about what he is trying to do - which is to produce what he somewhat eccentrically refers to as an ‘English’ deerhound.  His dogs pretty much look the same and have similar temperaments. Essentially smaller more robust deerhound type dogs. Have spoken to a fair few people who own a dog with a ‘Platt’ in it and they all say the same thing - they are incredibly slow to develop but when they do they are big biddable dogs that are really happy to work but aren’t obsessive killing machines. Am sure this puts a lot of people off both Dave and his dogs.

Obviously people will have different opinions on dogs and those that bred them, and that’s fair enough, but without obsessives like Dave there isn't really a future.    

had a dogs from dave over the years,and they were all he said they would be, always found him to be honest and a gentleman, regarding his dogs,and i was genuinely  happy with his stock, dave has dedicated a lot of years and hard work into recreating the english deerhound,alot of bad comments are made by folk who have never run or owned dogs bred by dave,and who listen to hearsay by others,he has been breeding deerxgreys along time now ,and still sends them all over the world, so that speaks for itself,good job people with the obsession of dave are still within the lurcher world.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, grompz said:

had a dogs from dave over the years,and they were all he said they would be, always found him to be honest and a gentleman, regarding his dogs,and i was genuinely  happy with his stock, dave has dedicated a lot of years and hard work into recreating the english deerhound,alot of bad comments are made by folk who have never run or owned dogs bred by dave,and who listen to hearsay by others,he has been breeding deerxgreys along time now ,and still sends them all over the world, so that speaks for itself,good job people with the obsession of dave are still within the lurcher world.

Is there such a dog called the English deerhound ?

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, morton said:

Ive been looking for nearly 2 years for a decent bitch or whelp of that type Penny and ive found zilch worth feeding,its an absolute travesty that such an honest breeding as been allowed to slide because the folk suited to that cross are growing old and leaving the game,the vast,vast,vast majority of newcomers would,nt know how to enter or educate such a cross.The biggest travesty is that my lad is going to put his over a Wheaten bred lurcher because the two of us cannot source anything better.

Morton what happened to the rest of the litter you bred? why doesn't your lad put his big dog up for open stud and wait and see what comes up, you never know somebody might want a bitch lined that you think is worth feeding, then you can line breed back to a bitch that's from your sons big dogs litter at a later date.

25 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Is there such a dog called the English deerhound ?

read the write up colonel david hancock,and no not the lurcher breeder of the same name, did on the english deerhound a number of years ago, you might get an insight into what daves breeding program is about,just google english deerhound.

Just now, grompz said:

read the write up colonel david hancock,and no not the lurcher breeder of the same name, did on the english deerhound a number of years ago, you might get an insight into what daves breeding program is about,just google english deerhound.

Is that the one where he said the English deerhound also known as a lurcher ?