dave platts' saracen

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had some great times with my Deerhound hybrids, back in the 1980s,...everybody had em...  

Here you are mick,sheps on the right I think,the one on the left is S.T's deerhound cross red?

Posted Images

I remember Red,he was a good dog in his own right,he came down from Aberdeen iirc. :thumbs:. The lad Jeff got Shep/Breck off is on here but does not keep Lurchers anymore. A lot easier back then the lurcher game than it is now.Red used to be ran up the top of Scotland regular at a mate of ours.A lad up this way at the moment has two pure Deerhounds that he imported from working stock and from a few reports they have threw some decent stuff when he bred them.Ive seen most of the stuff from Deerhound/Greyhound breeders back then on the job and ran on the proper stuff up the top of Scotland.I will still say the best pure stuff what I seen with my own eyes was the AW bred stuff .

Edited by MickC
sp
  • Like 1

I liked red,i think ST his owner ended up owning a tackle-shop?Shep was T's who was working down here for me only a couple of years back,J originally got them both from B?Then T bought shep off him.

• Like 1
On 07/12/2017 at 18:43, mackem said:

Two of the best all rounders I ever saw running were deerhound  lurchers bred in Gateshead in the very late 1980's?Litter brothers bought by two lads I used to work with,saw the dogs running on rabbit,hare,fox,couple of different species of deer,seen them working from Caithness and Sutherland down to Hampshire,big hauls of fox in London itself,running them several times a week in parks and rough ground in docklands,big powerfull jaws on them,very adaptable.

I owned them and bred them dogs i called them the kray twins lol shep was ruthless breck was clever and very fast (good hare dog)

• Like 1

Shep was a real mans dog  show him what you wanted bringing down and he would certainly put 100% effort into it red stags fallow  and fox had no chance once he caught it  the other dog on pic "red" was a damn good animal  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, ftm said:

Shep was a real mans dog  show him what you wanted bringing down and he would certainly put 100% effort into it red stags fallow  and fox had no chance once he caught it  the other dog on pic "red" was a damn good animal  

I got some pics of shep somewhere crunching fox,we used to get a few most nights,never saw him lose one once he had it,we were at a burger van in London on the edge of the road one night bit of waste ground beside it,heard a scuffle round the back and the pair of them were finishing off a fox,they caught a few without the lamp,C's tarn was roughly the same time,another good fox dog,i will see if I can dig some old pics up of shep.

Edited by mackem
  • Like 5
22 hours ago, ftm said:

I owned them and bred them dogs i called them the kray twins lol shep was ruthless breck was clever and very fast (good hare dog)

Were they second cross deer/greys? Or did they have other blood as well?

30 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Were they second cross deer/greys? Or did they have other blood as well?

Im sure  they were Collie/Grey x Deer/Grey.

Tarn was a prolific fox dog,Hancock bred 5/8 and so was the owners brothers dog Eli another 5/8 Hancock but that broke its front leg and was pts.Then he replaced it with Socks another Hancock 5/8 that was a good dog but that also broke its leg iirc and was also pts .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, MickC said:

Tarn was a prolific fox dog,

and deer,i know he took a lot of fallow,i think the most single was 4 in a day but when they were down here C was out most suitable days,i know he took over 100 fox a season,a lot of that was down to C though as he was very focused,he is into BOP's now,excellent guy.

15 minutes ago, MickC said:

Im sure  they were Collie/Grey x Deer/Grey.

Tarn was a prolific fox dog,Hancock bred 5/8 and so was the owners brothers dog Eli another 5/8 Hancock but that broke its front leg and was pts.Then he replaced it with Socks another Hancock 5/8 that was a good dog but that also broke its leg iirc and was also pts .

Mick is correct in the breeding i put glen (very good fox dog) 1st x collie gh to 1stx deerhound gh