dave platts' saracen

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had some great times with my Deerhound hybrids, back in the 1980s,...everybody had em...  

Here you are mick,sheps on the right I think,the one on the left is S.T's deerhound cross red?

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, edrd said:

there’s a lad I no with a big Deerhound type with just a touch of bull in him he’s done the lot singlehanded ?to many rosettes in those adds ?you be better wiping your arse way them ??✌?

Sounds like an interesting dog. .Tell me more please old chap... PM if you prefer. . . .   My old bitch is starting to swell slightly and I'm starting to think its now or never really.

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Ye breeding litter sky cat?

No. I lost the last of my rough coated line this year. Should have bred from Sparrow, but never did. Now I have only the two Airedale lurchers, and they're 7 1/2 years old now.  I might have been tempted to breed from Schuck, but it's getting so hard to find good homes for pups these days.

I'm looking for a traditional type of lurcher: Deer/Grey Collie/Grey type: it will be the last pup I rear, so wanted to end my days with a similar type to the lurchers I had for so long.  Something that's easy to live with, but from sound stock; just for a bit of mooching and lamping.

Tomo: thanks. I'll have a look.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

dont know his name mac....just his user name.....wich i wont mention on here...but i know skycat is on moochers so she can take a look...

i dont even know if hes a breeder...or just the odd litter every few years....but hes got to be worth a message...as he might know of somthing in the pipline

Charts pal tomo?

• Like 1

Trevor Cook Cooklands deerhound. He was on here. He bought Dohertys stock and has continued with it plus working outcrosses. They all work,but I don't think he has a first cross stud dog. Just pedigree working deerhounds. He is a genuine bloke.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, skycat said:

No. I lost the last of my rough coated line this year. Should have bred from Sparrow, but never did. Now I have only the two Airedale lurchers, and they're 7 1/2 years old now.  I might have been tempted to breed from Schuck, but it's getting so hard to find good homes for pups these days.

I'm looking for a traditional type of lurcher: Deer/Grey Collie/Grey type: it will be the last pup I rear, so wanted to end my days with a similar type to the lurchers I had for so long.  Something that's easy to live with, but from sound stock; just for a bit of mooching and lamping.

Tomo: thanks. I'll have a look.

What about a beddy greyhound  lol

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Not just now mate but hopefully in couple years an I’m seriously swaying towards the deerhound/wheaten/greys as iv seen couple an can’t fault em, couple kids still young an got young terrier pup here but my lurcher bitch is deffo gettin on an illl deffo need a pup at some point, few more seasons first I hope haha 

ps

cooklands is a dreaming peddler ain’t he?? I’m sure I know folk that live by him an they said he does nowt but feed an breed his dogs haha

Didn't you have a deerhound cross from Asha mate ? He bought his stock directly from Cook. 

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

What about a beddy greyhound  lol

If I was ever going to breed from Schuck I'd want to put something like Bruce over her, but, being totally honest, she has faults, bad feet being the worst, which she certainly didn't get from her sire who had the best feet I've ever seen in a coursing type. It was the Airedale who had feet as flat as pancakes, and a build that was never designed to stand up to years of hard work in the field: very straight in the stifle. I think the Airedale guys in the states must work their dogs differently to the way I worked Dill: maybe not as much, or on much softer ground. Who knows. 

1 minute ago, skycat said:

If I was ever going to breed from Schuck I'd want to put something like Bruce over her, but, being totally honest, she has faults, bad feet being the worst, which she certainly didn't get from her sire who had the best feet I've ever seen in a coursing type. It was the Airedale who had feet as flat as pancakes, and a build that was never designed to stand up to years of hard work in the field: very straight in the stifle. I think the Airedale guys in the states must work their dogs differently to the way I worked Dill: maybe not as much, or on much softer ground. Who knows. 

That's a pity about her feet bruce went over a beddy greyhound 2 weeks ago he has another 2 bitches to cover a bull cross then a beardie greyhound here's hoping he has swimmers lol good luck with your search 

9 minutes ago, skycat said:

Do you remember the member on here who imported an Aussie stag? He used it for tracking pigs. Would that dog not suit your purposes?

Oops ignore above. Just re read your post you are not breeding a litter. 

Edited by jukel123