Not My Classic

11 hours ago, WILF said:

And, imho, the greatest bit of dialogue ever delivered in a movie:
Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with Special Forces... seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us.

Coppola allowed Brando to ad-lib most of his dialogue during the movie,I think that speech included.

• Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some stories translate better to audio or film........and some never translate well to other media. All quiet on the western front is a classic case.......the book pisses all over the cinematic v

To my list, I'd add The Beatles. Im expecting angry mobs with pitchforks any minute, but I can't stand them ! In fact, I'll tell you how much i dislike them......   There's a Xmas ad wi

I was that prick sat in a building site porta cabin canteen with a copy of Ulysses cracking on like I'd actually understood the last 50 pages!  

Love reading, cant stand any of the American classic literature, tried a few and they just don't sit right with me, that Catcher in the Rye was garbage imho, I struggled badly to find it remotely interesting, gave it too my son he loved it. Not overly keen on classic English literature either lol

Trainspotting the book will one day become a classic literature imho,  its always been cult fiction and also mainstream due to the popularity of the film, there's a few layers to that book and a good few others written by the same author, very good account of the times in question from a very unique set of aspects, that's what makes great literature is it not? Kes is exactly the same great book great film, genuine classic literature,  The Godfather is a Real American Classic much better book that it could ever translate to in two films, although the films are also classics, apart for the third one which is pants,

Stephen King real good writer, The Stand, Salem's Lot, Shawshank Redemption, Stand By me, the latter two becoming classic movies as well, American Psycho is another great book that could or should become an American classic, not a bad film either

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mackem said:

Coppola allowed Brando to ad-lib most of his dialogue during the movie,I think that speech included.

theres a movie about the making of the movie ive not seen it but just looking at who was involved I wouldn't imagine its a pretty watch lol

the speech is excellent as well anyone hell bent on winning a war would do well to study it carefully,

22 minutes ago, arcticgun said:

theres a movie about the making of the movie ive not seen it but just looking at who was involved I wouldn't imagine its a pretty watch 

I have been to baler where the Charlie don't surf scene was filmed,lots of stories floating around about the movie,the stars were drunk or stoned or snorting coke between scenes etc hopper and Brando didn't see eye to eye,Brando left the party early.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, arcticgun said:

theres a movie about the making of the movie ive not seen it but just looking at who was involved I wouldn't imagine its a pretty watch lol

the speech is excellent as well anyone hell bent on winning a war would do well to study it carefully,

It's well worth a watch mate. The making of the film is legendary 

• Like 1
On 11/24/2017 at 05:30, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

politely remind these Johnny come latelys pretenders that they listened to happy hardcore at school and they soon dry up! 

Additionally two of my favourite bands are g n r and the pogues , but you’ll never hear sweet child of mine or fairy tale of new York at our house , 

it’s lIke seeing girls in AC/DC t shirts when they’re out, they’ve never heard back in Black , scumbags 

This has never failed as a conversation killer when dealing with bandwagoneers!

I applaud your decision to continue to scuttle these conversations when they arise! :thumbs:

• Like 1
On 25/11/2017 at 00:44, scothunter said:

I read a good book Last year mate "the forgotten highlander" he was caught by the japs  and its his story of the years as a pow. Really good read.

@accip yea i Know its not the subject of the thread lol 

I read that as well, was he not a former football player?