Not My Classic

I love the 39 Steps..........but it HAS to be the Kenneth More version - lost count of how many times I've watched it !

I've watched the original, starring Robert Donat, and the later one with Robert Powell. I know they're both closer to the original book, but the 60s version brings the story to life more, for me anyway.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some stories translate better to audio or film........and some never translate well to other media. All quiet on the western front is a classic case.......the book pisses all over the cinematic v

To my list, I'd add The Beatles. Im expecting angry mobs with pitchforks any minute, but I can't stand them ! In fact, I'll tell you how much i dislike them......   There's a Xmas ad wi

I was that prick sat in a building site porta cabin canteen with a copy of Ulysses cracking on like I'd actually understood the last 50 pages!  

As someone else said , the Beatles . I like the song "come together" but can't stand the rest . I reckon they were only big because they were the only thing like then back then. 

The film Deadpool was a let down for me.  Looked amazing In the trailers but the film I felt was pretty basic 

2 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

As someone else said , the Beatles . I like the song "come together" but can't stand the rest . I reckon they were only big because they were the only thing like then back then. 

The film Deadpool was a let down for me.  Looked amazing In the trailers but the film I felt was pretty basic 

It was me - and that's my gripe with them - overrated ! Apart from "Eleanor Right" ( which I have to admit liking), their songs are nothing special - most of them could have been written by any averagely talented songwriter.

I think this thread has gone a bit out the way of Accips original point.......which was which of all those books you are “meant” to read disappointed you.......

And what I’m getting from this thread is.......he was the only c**t daft enough to beleive you really were “meant” to read them:laugh:

On 23/11/2017 at 10:15, Accip74 said:

I was that prick sat in a building site porta cabin canteen with a copy of Ulysses cracking on like I'd actually understood the last 50 pages!  :laugh:

That’s one of my faves 

i tried to talk my wife into calling my son Ulysses, no chance 

I like threads like this , I personally believe there is a tossers starter pack you can buy it contains 

DVD’s of  lord of the rings, scarface/Carlitos way/ godfather trilogy 

cds of oasis / stone roses/ Liam Gallagher/ the Beatles/ guns and roses / ed sheeren 

books birdsong / Russel brand  

f***ing breaks me, I was  once told “fools must be challenged “ and whenever some one you know writes on twitter Facebook etc. 

“Can’t wait to see Liam Gallagher at Newcastle, idol” 

politely remind these Johnny come latelys pretenders that they listened to happy hardcore at school and they soon dry up! 

Additionally two of my favourite bands are g n r and the pogues , but you’ll never hear sweet child of mine or fairy tale of new York at our house , 

it’s lIke seeing girls in AC/DC t shirts when they’re out, they’ve never heard back in Black , scumbags 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, WILF said:

I think this thread has gone a bit out the way of Accips original point.......which was which of all those books you are “meant” to read disappointed you.......

And what I’m getting from this thread is.......he was the only c**t daft enough to beleive you really were “meant” to read them:laugh:

Not quite. I originally said book, film or music etc. Basically anything deemed a 'classic' that you didn't 'get' yourself. I think most people got the point.

As an aside. 20 odd years ago Loaded magazine for lads started which turned into total shit within a few years, but the first year or so was good, fresh & different. There was a small section every month called 'Sophistication Station' & in that a bloke would recommend a book, film & record that you SHOULD own & I have to say, for me, it was normally bang on, but every now & again you'd think "what the fcuk?"..........after you'd just spent £14 in Virgin records!!  :laugh:

..........the days before checking out everything on line first    :thumbs:

Edited by Accip74
11 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

That’s one of my faves 

i tried to talk my wife into calling my son Ulysses, no chance 

I like threads like this , I personally believe there is a tossers starter pack you can buy it contains 

DVD’s of  lord of the rings, scarface/Carlitos way/ godfather trilogy 

cds of oasis / stone roses/ Liam Gallagher/ the Beatles/ guns and roses / ed sheeren 

books birdsong / Russel brand  

f***ing breaks me, I was  once told “fools must be challenged “ and whenever some one you know writes on twitter Facebook etc. 

“Can’t wait to see Liam Gallagher at Newcastle, idol” 

politely remind these Johnny come latelys pretenders that they listened to happy hardcore at school and they soon dry up! 

Additionally two of my favourite bands are g n r and the pogues , but you’ll never hear sweet child of mine or fairy tale of new York at our house , 

it’s lIke seeing girls in AC/DC t shirts when they’re out, they’ve never heard back in Black , scumbags 

Thank fcuk one of you had some sense!

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Not quite. I originally said book, film or music etc. Basically anything deemed a 'classic' that you didn't 'get' yourself. I think most people got the point.

As an aside. 20 odd years ago Loaded magazine for lads started which turned into total shit within a few years, but the first year or so was good, fresh & different. There was a small section every month called 'Sophistication Station' & in that a bloke would recommend a book, film & record that you SHOULD own & I have to say, for me, it was normally bang on, but every now & again you'd think "what the fcuk?"..........after you'd just spent £14 in Virgin records!!  :laugh:

..........the days before checking out everything on line first    :thumbs:

What movies would you call classics?

Imho, a classic movie will actually be maybe 1 to 6 classic scenes.......of even 12 lines of dialogue.

So take “Platoon”.......if that was a book it would be shit, but 2 scenes and 1 line of dialogue make it a memorable movie.

You couldnt write Tom Berenger delivering the line....”Death?.....what do y’all know about Death?”

Or Willem Defoe throwing his hands up in the air as he losses his fight to survive......

Appocolypse Now.......

Great character actors and 3 or 4 passages of dialogue make that a great movie......

”I wanted a mission......and for my sins, I got one and after that......I’d never want another”

”Charlie don’t surf !”

And, imho, the greatest bit of dialogue ever delivered in a movie:
Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with Special Forces... seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

What movies would you call classics?

Imho, a classic movie will actually be maybe 1 to 6 classic scenes.......of even 12 lines of dialogue.

So take “Platoon”.......if that was a book it would be shit, but 2 scenes and 1 line of dialogue make it a memorable movie.

You couldnt write Tom Berenger delivering the line....”Death?.....what do y’all know about Death?”

Or Willem Defoe throwing his hands up in the air as he losses his fight to survive......

Appocolypse Now.......

Great character actors and 3 or 4 passages of dialogue make that a great movie......

”I wanted a mission......and for my sins, I got one and after that......I’d never want another”

”Charlie don’t surf !”

And, imho, the greatest bit of dialogue ever delivered in a movie:
Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with Special Forces... seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us.

Classic is a very overused description. That's kinda the point of the thread, not what I think are classics.

Yeah I pretty much agree on Kurtz lines. That had a profound effect on me when I watched it all those years ago. You're not letting your genocide point go, are you mate?  :laugh:

• Haha 1

Well, everyone will like different things based on their own personality.......what I consider classic you may consider shite.

I f you are trying to find out if reading war and peace was a totally pointless exercise well I can tell you with almost total certainty...yes, it was! 

• Haha 1

In an inversion comparable to wilfs post reference his thoughts on platoon, I find the film jarhead a mediocre film to watch , but the book is fantastic ! 

A great read which shows the mundane reality of war , long periods of boredom bookended by sudden violence. The book is worth a read alone for a fantastic metaphorical story of the protagonists lost Japanese love whose memory is awakened by a pear dropped in the Iraqi sand . Also a large part of the book is missing from the film , most notably the death of his friend in a car wreck at the end. This is a huge part of the book with the deceased’s parents umbrage with his military kinship . 

A very realistic insite into the mind of the average soldier, the birdsong for the 90s generation 

I think of what I must look like to the late - night walker peering through the basement windows: the movie cliché, the mad old warrior going through his memorabilia, juicing up before he runs off and kills a few with precision fire. But, no, I am not mad. I am not well, but I am not mad. I'm after something. Memory, yes. A reel. More than just time. Years pass. But more than just time. I've been working toward this - I've opened the ruck and now I must open myself.

I open a map of southern Kuwait. Sand falls from between the folds.

Still, my vision was blurred - by wind and sand and distance, by false signals, poor communication, and bad coordinates, by stupidity and fear and ignorance, by valor and false pride.

I remember most of the names and faces of my platoon mates. I remember the names and faces of some of their girlfriends and wives. I think I know who cheated and who stayed faithful. I remember who wrote letters and who drove their men mad with silence. I remember some of the lies and most of the questions. I remember the dreams and the naïve wishes, the pathetic pleas and the trouser - pissing horror.

I remember some of the sand, but there was so much of it, I should be forgiven.

I remember being told I must remember and then for many years forgetting.

We are afraid, but that doesn't mean we don't want to fight. It occurs to me that we will never be young agai

I think of what I must look like to the late - night walker peering through the basement windows: the movie cliché, the mad old warrior going through his memorabilia, juicing up before he runs off and kills a few with precision fire. But, no, I am not mad. I am not well, but I am not mad. I'm after something. Memory, yes. A reel. More than just time. Years pass. But more than just time. I've been working toward this - I've opened the ruck and now I must open myself.

Still, my vision was blurred - by wind and sand and distance, by false signals, poor communication, and bad coordinates, by stupidity and fear and ignorance, by valor and false pride.

I remember most of the names and faces of my platoon mates. I remember the names and faces of some of their girlfriends and wives. I think I know who cheated and who stayed faithful. I remember who wrote letters and who drove their men mad with silence. I remember some of the lies and most of the questions. I remember the dreams and the naïve wishes, the pathetic pleas and the trouser - pissing horror.

I remember being told I 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

In an inversion comparable to wilfs post reference his thoughts on platoon, I find the film jarhead a mediocre film to watch , but the book is fantastic ! 

A great read which shows the mundane reality of war , long periods of boredom bookended by sudden violence. The book is worth a read alone for a fantastic metaphorical story of the protagonists lost Japanese love whose memory is awakened by a pear dropped in the Iraqi sand . Also a large part of the book is missing from the film , most notably the death of his friend in a car wreck at the end. This is a huge part of the book with the deceased’s parents umbrage with his military kinship . 

A very realistic insite into the mind of the average soldier, the birdsong for the 90s generation 

We are afraid, but that doesn't mean we don't want to fight. It occurs to me that we will never be young agai

I remember being told I 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzz.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

In an inversion comparable to wilfs post reference his thoughts on platoon, I find.dm jarhead a mediocre film to watch  , but the book is fantastic ! 

I remember being told I 

I read a good book Last year mate "the forgotten highlander" he was caught by the japs  and its his story of the years as a pow. Really good read.

@accip yea i Know its not the subject of the thread lol 

• Like 1