Not My Classic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some stories translate better to audio or film........and some never translate well to other media. All quiet on the western front is a classic case.......the book pisses all over the cinematic v

To my list, I'd add The Beatles. Im expecting angry mobs with pitchforks any minute, but I can't stand them ! In fact, I'll tell you how much i dislike them......   There's a Xmas ad wi

I was that prick sat in a building site porta cabin canteen with a copy of Ulysses cracking on like I'd actually understood the last 50 pages!  

9 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Not read the book . Just the film. Also anchorman . Didn't find it funny.

I rate the book far higher. :thumbs:

I'm nearly always let down by comedy.

• Like 1

On The Road by Jack Kerouac, own it, for several years now, I tried, I really tried, just can not get through it, nauseating would be a good description for the writing.

Can not get anywhere with anything by John Steinbeck. 

Not much enamored by anything written by politicians, though apparently it is a MUST for all "correct" persons to read such crap. Fortunately for me I am far from being "the new worlds' idea of being a correct person". Politicians lie enough on the telly, and in the news, and on the radio, I don't have to go chucking good money to wind to get to know them any better than they display to me freely every day.

Tony Blair’s biography was good, I totally detest him and his ilk but it was a great insight to how clever these people that are f***ing up our world are.

They are thinking so far ahead and so outside the box it’s breath taking !! 

Read the mind of your enemy and you never look at the established order of things the same way again. 

Just now, Rusty_terrier said:

Got to disagree good film and an evem better book imo

That's a fair one. I think it was well written but I just didn't get it. Read it twice to make sure I hadn't missed what everyone was raving about. The film I cannot comment on because the book soured me on it so I've never seen it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Tony Blair’s biography was good, I totally detest him and his ilk but it was a great insight to how clever these people that are f***ing up our world are.

Read the mind of your enemy and you never look at the established order of things the same way again. 

Good point. I never quite that about it in that way.

'Kama Sutra'... waste of time, discovered all those moves by myself:laugh:. Correction myself and my Mrs.:laugh:

'The Bible'. It was all about this geezer who got to be reincarnated, whose mum was a virgin and he had a little book where every human being's sins were noted.  If you had too many sins you were condemned to everlasting flames when you died.  But he loved you? and the book was holy. So I tried praying on it, but the person I was praying for died. So I gave up reading it. Very much overrated.

'Fifty Shades of Grey'.... had a sneaky look at the good bits in a bookshop. Bit weird if you ask me. If you want to have sex  have f****n have sex. Whats all this torturing and bondage about?

Pretty much most fiction is a disappointment. If the characters don't grab me in the first few pages I just lose concentration. Non fiction, particularly biographies, I can read till it comes out of my ears. Biographies make me a bit sad though, because they make me  realise what a little life I have led.:fool:

Edited by jukel123
2 hours ago, WILF said:

Still not grasping this one are you mate?  

Edited to say.....now realise you were replying to Lynn   :icon_redface: :D

Edited by Accip74

now this  is a classic  in film / book   Oliver Twist  , the film with  Bill Newton    Bill sikes  and old bullseye    down by the canal   just class , feck knows how they trained that pit in that film  .  and the book was Brill , so was the musical :yes::thumbs: 

2 hours ago, bird said:

now this  is a classic  in film / book   Oliver Twist  , the film with  Bill Newton    Bill sikes  and old bullseye    down by the canal   just class , feck knows how they trained that pit in that film  .  and the book was Brill , so was the musical :yes::thumbs: 

I'd have to agree that old Ollie Reed was terrific in the musical film........genuinely menacing.