Not My Classic

Had a bout of insomnia last night & ended up watching Big Sur, a film about Jack Kerouac, until 4 this morning. Not a particularly great film, but it did remind me how disappointed I was when I read On The Road. A 'must' read.

When I was a young bloke I was eating up any modern literature, film or books that were regarded as classic's or 'must' read/see/hear. On The Road by Jack Kerouac was one such 'classic', only I didn't really like it or think it was that great, but I thought I should?

So what are the supposed 'classics'? be it book, film or record that everybody tells you should like, but you think are rubbish!  :laugh:

This threads probably gonna kill me, because I used to be one of the worlds worse for telling folk what they should be liking......:D

• Haha 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some stories translate better to audio or film........and some never translate well to other media. All quiet on the western front is a classic case.......the book pisses all over the cinematic v

To my list, I'd add The Beatles. Im expecting angry mobs with pitchforks any minute, but I can't stand them ! In fact, I'll tell you how much i dislike them......   There's a Xmas ad wi

I was that prick sat in a building site porta cabin canteen with a copy of Ulysses cracking on like I'd actually understood the last 50 pages!  

One that I really like is Birdsong Sebastian Faulks if you haven't read it give it a go, I normally go for autobiographys of people I like, Clarissa Dickson Wrights spilling the beans is exceptional I also learnt by reading that book was that her father was the Queens Surgeon.

• Like 1

To my list, I'd add The Beatles.

Im expecting angry mobs with pitchforks any minute, but I can't stand them ! In fact, I'll tell you how much i dislike them......

There's a Xmas ad with a lovely song by Elbow - a quick search revealed it to be called "Golden Slumbers"............the same search revealed it to be originally by the Fab Four - now I hate the song !

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

To my list, I'd add The Beatles.

Im expecting angry mobs with pitchforks any minute, but I can't stand them ! In fact, I'll tell you how much i dislike them......

There's a Xmas ad with a lovely song by Elbow - a quick search revealed it to be called "Golden Slumbers"............the same search revealed it to be originally by the Fab Four - now I hate the song !

I'm more shocked you didn't recognise the original! :D Heard the elbow version yesterday, not bad.....

I knew this thread was a bad idea.....:laugh:

5 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

I'm more shocked you didn't recognise the original! :D Heard the elbow version yesterday, not bad.....

I knew this thread was a bad idea.....:laugh:

Why would I recognise it ? I can't stick them, so I don't listen to them..........

I think it's more McCartney than anything else - mind you, the Lennon hippy nonsense is annoying (bed peace FFS)  - oh, and Ringo couldn't drum if his life depended on it. Let's just call it 3 out of 4, then ! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you read what resonates with you, if a book don’t grab me in the first 3 or 4 pages I won’t persist.

It has to take flight off of the page and let me see, hear and feel it in my mind or I can’t read it.

Steven King is a prime example, probably the worlds best selling author and no doubt technically a master of his craft......but I couldn’t read one of his books if you paid me and god knows I have tried to get past page 3 !!

I dont have a particular genre that I like, I read what lives for me......some of my favourites include.

Sven Hassel

All quiet on the western front 

Shad (can’t remember the author)

George C Chesbro

Milligan

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Why would I recognise it ? I can't stick them, so I don't listen to them..........

I think it's more McCartney than anything else - mind you, the Lennon hippy nonsense is annoying (bed peace FFS)  - oh, and Ringo couldn't drum if his life depended on it. Let's just call it 3 out of 4, then ! :laugh:

Ok. I promised myself I wouldn't get emotionally involved with this thread.......so I'll leave it there   :laugh:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think you read what resonates with you, if a book don’t grab me in the first 3 or 4 pages I won’t persist.

It has to take flight off of the page and let me see, hear and feel it in my mind or I can’t read it.

Steven King is a prime example, probably the worlds best selling author and no doubt technically a master of his craft......but I couldn’t read one of his books if you paid me and god knows I have tried to get past page 3 !!

I dont have a particular genre that I like, I read what lives for me......some of my favourites include.

Sven Hassel

All quiet on the western front 

Shad (can’t remember the author)

George C Chesbro

Milligan

I was that prick sat in a building site porta cabin canteen with a copy of Ulysses cracking on like I'd actually understood the last 50 pages!  :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2