ruminations and ramblings

Is there more slow starting terriers around nowadays?  Now ill hold my hands up, I'm not right patient and certainly when younger I got rid of terriers far to early, but even now I like a good easy early starting pup. In fact its one thing I look out for in a stud dog and brood bitch, but increasingly I'm seeing dogs not starting until between two and three, even in lines that ten  years ago were going at allot younger. Is this a result of being patient then breeding of slow starters? or are the lines petering out and some natural fire is being lost?

• Like 1

I'd say the fly by night brigade, that expect every terrier to be an early starter, have passed through and the genuine men with patience and good understanding of a terrier have resurfaced.

Like my mate says, a terriers working career is a marathon not a sprint. Ease them in gradually and you'll have a life time of digging the dog.

It also depends on the man knowing the line well and knowing which things to look for in a terrier and to know when it's mature and ready. 

So in answer to your question, I'd say the late starter is becoming more prominent as the men breeding them have the above and are breeding from them.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 3

My thoughts exactly mate .One thing the internet does do is let those aspiring to the job know how other more patient men start youngsters .I've never been a rush type but I've known many who were in times  gone by  .Recent years has seen a more chilled approach for sure and long may it live .

• Like 4

Ours more or less want to go from the ages of 15 to 20 months. I see nothing wrong with this once taking it step by step fill em with confidence and let them know there winning.  Our yard if they usually don't want to go at that age it usually the same outcome 12 months later. That's only how our stuff acts everyone's different. Interesting too here from guys on here what's there ushall starting point in there dogs careers or is it at random ??

• Like 2

I myself have always held back till 15month+ but know a good handful of lads who enter from 8 month old. Call it daft, but its there line of dogs which they know well and the proof is in the pudding, majority of the dogs are flying. I think on the french digging thread it was mentioned they enter early too. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Liamboy said:

8 months is far to early Imo. But hey it's there dogs they can do as they please. 

Id say it is for most lines. Not seen many terriers mature at that age but theyre doing the business. Who am i to argue with them.

1 hour ago, rob284 said:

Id say it is for most lines. Not seen many terriers mature at that age but theyre doing the business. Who am i to argue with them.

Each to their own pal. Iv a young bitch here just over 13 months who's been keen to go from an early age but still hasn't been to ground yet. I just think you are doing them no favours by putting them in at that age. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Liamboy said:

Each to their own pal. Iv a young bitch here just over 13 months who's been keen to go from an early age but still hasn't been to ground yet. I just think you are doing them no favours by putting them in at that age. 

I agree, i wouldnt myself. But theyre of the opinion it is doing them favours, ive seen them work and by the time theyre normal starting age theyve gained lots of experience and working a treat. I suppose theres no set age but better later than too early.

• Like 1

When they are ready and your in the right place i think let them go.i started a young bitch 3weeks ago in a real handy spot shes just gone 12mnths and she done very well and her brother lay on the ditch with not a care in the world  but last Sunday he was looking in more interested at what was goin on.

Some i have started early as in 12months but they were ready physicily and after a nice handy 1st dig bring them on slowly all the time making sure not to over match them and keep them wining,5-6 easy digs 1st season depending on age is enough for them.Both young dogs that we recently got bavck actually need holding back they are that keen and they will see only a handfull of digs this season.I started a young bitch last season and through different things happening she was dug to 12 times and some right good digs thrown in but she stood the test and is flyiong again this season with 9 digs over her to date,she not long gone 2 year old,put the work in front of them and if they need time off give it to them,secret i find with young terriers is not to over match them and try and keep them winning as best you can,with most terriers its easy enough to get them started if the right ingrediants is in the mix but its even easier to spoil them when young by too much too soon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1