Indian runner ducks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got 3 Indian Runners in my yard, 2x female 1x male, had them for 9 years now, no bugs or mice in the yard, no grass either now as they love anything green. They do make a mess with poop if contai

Nah, rain is never the problem if they have water, if there is a low spot gathering water that is where they will be, if drainage is good they will look for the low spot and go paddling. Get a pa

Pie-eater, you will have the raise the pool, else you will just create a bog around it. If you raise it on blocks, you can plumb in a system that is movable, so just re-direct as the ground gets

Posted Images

On 11/25/2017 at 09:34, pie-eater said:

I have a nice size garden, it's about 45 metres long 15 wide so I was hoping with a largish area they wouldn't completely destroy the grass. I'm going to buy a dozen eggs online if I hatch a few ill sell some and keep a pair to start. I'm glad they stand up to cats the neighbours have a couple. Was thinking about getting a big paddling pool fitting a plug and digging a big soakaway underneath so it can be drained and cleaned easily. 

Pie-eater, you will have the raise the pool, else you will just create a bog around it.

If you raise it on blocks, you can plumb in a system that is movable, so just re-direct as the ground gets wet.

Mine drain into compost heaps to deter rats. I can move the pipe if one area is getting too saturated.

When you get ducklings, you will have to restrict their access to water. They can get trampled by the others and drown, so it is best to leave the suspended baths for adults to fly to, or make a ramp that you can move as required.  Start with dishes and very shallow containers for ducklings.

I have a safe house to keep the ducklings separate from the others and especially predators - magpies, rats - till they are big enough to hold their own.5a1f4208bc8ef_DuckBathplumbing.jpg.fd2303d62d07569c39fae473d31b02a0.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah South Australia is like that, we had rain the day before LOL and it looks like a desert the next.

Is it the same there?Indian Runner Ducks lay around the beginning of spring and thru spring into the start of summer over here, but even if you get some that are a year old, they are different to chickens.

The feeder is a great bonus, saves a lot of work, weatherproof and portable, an other way is to use a 'bump' stick so as they bump the stick it drops a little grain and when the ducks are full there is little left for rats etc. They will quickly learn to use it.

Use a tin rubbish bin or a tin 20 - 40 litre bucket with lid, plastic will do but you need the heavier plastic like my drums, you can get those in a smaller drum too.

Great idea offered to run the drain into a compost heap from a raised water trough/bath and keep it portable :thumbs:, the shallow dish for ducklings you can fill with pebbles so if the ducklings walk in it they cant get deep enough to drown - I do this for young birds like finches and budgies.

• Like 2
On 29/11/2017 at 23:27, PeskyWabbits said:

Pie-eater, you will have the raise the pool, else you will just create a bog around it.

If you raise it on blocks, you can plumb in a system that is movable, so just re-direct as the ground gets wet.

Mine drain into compost heaps to deter rats. I can move the pipe if one area is getting too saturated.

When you get ducklings, you will have to restrict their access to water. They can get trampled by the others and drown, so it is best to leave the suspended baths for adults to fly to, or make a ramp that you can move as required.  Start with dishes and very shallow containers for ducklings.

I have a safe house to keep the ducklings separate from the others and especially predators - magpies, rats - till they are big enough to hold their own.5a1f4208bc8ef_DuckBathplumbing.jpg.fd2303d62d07569c39fae473d31b02a0.jpg 

Sounds a good idea, I've got a ditch running a few feet from my back garden maybe I can pipe it into there.

On 30/11/2017 at 23:04, 17hornet said:

Yeah South Australia is like that, we had rain the day before LOL and it looks like a desert the next.

Is it the same there?Indian Runner Ducks lay around the beginning of spring and thru spring into the start of summer over here, but even if you get some that are a year old, they are different to chickens.

The feeder is a great bonus, saves a lot of work, weatherproof and portable, an other way is to use a 'bump' stick so as they bump the stick it drops a little grain and when the ducks are full there is little left for rats etc. They will quickly learn to use it.

Use a tin rubbish bin or a tin 20 - 40 litre bucket with lid, plastic will do but you need the heavier plastic like my drums, you can get those in a smaller drum too.

Great idea offered to run the drain into a compost heap from a raised water trough/bath and keep it portable :thumbs:, the shallow dish for ducklings you can fill with pebbles so if the ducklings walk in it they cant get deep enough to drown - I do this for young birds like finches and budgies.

No it's never that dry here, I've got slab stepping stones in my garden just so I dont make a muddy track. I like the feeder idea only dropping a small amount of food, there are a few rats about so I'll have to keep a few traps out permanently when I get the ducks, i have quail but they're raised off the ground so not had any problem with the rats getting at them. 

• Like 1

The Indian Runners are REALLY inquisitive and will investigate ANYTHING different or new in the entire yard.

Uncover or move something, step aside and they will jump in to check it out

They will sit over a mouse hole waiting for the fresh protein to stick its head out far enough to grab it, I have watched them do it - duck 1v's mouse 0.                                          I was wondering why they were excited and pushing at each other like teenagers.

So be careful with baits and traps, the ducks will have a good reach length with their necks and dont need a big hole to get their head into something.

• Like 1
On 02/12/2017 at 23:47, 17hornet said:

The Indian Runners are REALLY inquisitive and will investigate ANYTHING different or new in the entire yard.

Uncover or move something, step aside and they will jump in to check it out

They will sit over a mouse hole waiting for the fresh protein to stick its head out far enough to grab it, I have watched them do it - duck 1v's mouse 0.                                          I was wondering why they were excited and pushing at each other like teenagers.

So be careful with baits and traps, the ducks will have a good reach length with their necks and dont need a big hole to get their head into something.

Yeah didn't think of the length of their necks, i have a couple of fenn in tunnels which they could probably get into. I'll make some extra long tunnels when I get them just to be safe.

I keep my traps outside of the run.  Though I do put poison down the holes, but ALWAYS, seal off these with big stones. 

So far poison is always the most effective way to combat rats but I would prefer not to use it at all, with the risks to other wildlife.  Shooting comes second then way after.... traps.

The best way of controlling rodents, is to keep the food out of reach. No food, no rodents.

• Like 1

I should have said it before, forgot to, as Pesky said above poison is the most efficient but I always worry the ducks will get to a mouse that will die within reach when it is still above ground and wandering after eating poison. So I have relied upon traps. But happily poison other places that have no obvious wildlife or kids that can be hurt by accident.

I never find mouse holes in ground or structure that isnt already porous, but Pesky's idea of sealing a hole with a big rock is perfect.

Pie-eater, with all your considerations you will have happy, long lived ducks. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Or you can use a handy container.  I am too tight to pay £6 for a plastic box, so I improvise. I store mud in these for a while, to take a way the plastic smell before using them with bait. 

The poison is wired together, so the rodent can't secret it away. 

Rat Bait Stations 001.JPG

Rat Bait Station in position.jpg

• Thanks 1

pesky i have 2 boxes , 3 tunnels with fenns , 1live catch also a sausage stuffer ,2 nose to tail books and other bits if you pick them up

location: near leeds & bradford airport :thumbs:  forgot to say all free

Edited by CHEVINFOX
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, CHEVINFOX said:

pesky i have 2 boxes , 3 tunnels with fenns , 1live catch also a sausage stuffer ,2 nose to tail books and other bits if you pick them up

location: near leeds & bradford airport :thumbs:  forgot to say all free

Well, that is brilliant. I will PM you.

Thank you

Some good tips in this thread thanks. I've got some runner duck eggs, i know its late in the season and fertility apparently will be somewhere between low and non existent but I thought I'd take a chance. Got 8 in the incubator and another 6 coming. If I get a pair out of them I'll be very happy, if not I'll have another go in the spring. 

• Like 2