9 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

That stock has some nice grain in it Tom

I would use the tru oil on her mate

if you want a dark look just put the stain on the way i told you but keep wetting a little bit so you can see what its going to look like once its oil,d

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers Jimmy I keep thinking about  using tru-oil again iv done quite a few stocks with it and used rustins red mahogony stain on them first and they came up amazing. I'l do a test patch with hand rubbed oil and see what colour it is. For some reason I really want to try a hand rubbed oil finnish. Ill do a test patch first and if it's too light I'll go with the stain/tru-oil route.

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i LET IT STAND FOR AN HOUR THEN WIPED OFF THE EXCESS  

HERE YOU GO TOM LOADS OF PICS MIND LOL ATVBJIMMY

WHILE I WAS WAITING FOR THE OIL TO SINK IN I DID THE TX 200 AS WELL ATVBJIMMY

Posted Images

3 hours ago, si brown said:

ive filled the pores in like him tom only on walnut though when the pores grab me whiskers it gets on me tits!

didn't use linseed just what ever oil I was using to do the stock... only ever did the cheek pice though:thumbs:

atb si 

Cheers Si sounds good did you just do a light wet sand with oil to fill them?

When iv used tru-oil iv applied and buffed in tiny amounts over 7-10 coats after my initial couple of normal coats,  and filled them that way. They came up with a perfect glass smooth glossy Finnish after all these tiny layers. Took a long time tho.

That' the stuff iv used too. Iv always used the red mahogany as I like a red tinge but once I used both and it turned out the best stock I ever did on an aya.

I dunno what to decide on now lol I think I may strip it and see how the natural wood looks when wet.

Shall I start a topic when I do it?  Are shotgun stock refinishing topics allowed in this section with it  just been wood?  Or maybe I should start one in the shotgun and FAC section ?

1 hour ago, tomburras said:

Cheers Si sounds good did you just do a light wet sand with oil to fill them?

When iv used tru-oil iv applied and buffed in tiny amounts over 7-10 coats after my initial couple of normal coats,  and filled them that way. They came up with a perfect glass smooth glossy Finnish after all these tiny layers. Took a long time tho.

ive not got that much patience tom, I took fine wet and dry and dry sanded/rubbed to get the dust then hit it with the oil...

not a very authentic way but it worked!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, tomburras said:

That' the stuff iv used too. Iv always used the red mahogany as I like a red tinge but once I used both and it turned out the best stock I ever did on an aya.

I dunno what to decide on now lol I think I may strip it and see how the natural wood looks when wet.

Shall I start a topic when I do it?  Are shotgun stock refinishing topics allowed in this section with it  just been wood?  Or maybe I should start one in the shotgun and FAC section ?

It is only a stock Tom, so put it anywhere or both sections.

Phil

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...