Airbags

Glad Trish is Ok buddy, Pass on our best from Lisa and I.

Modern cars are pretty clever about what they can do in an accident. It might not of needed to fire the air bags in that situation. As has already been said, quite often breaks the drivers nose when they fire off (better that, than brain damage I guess)

I remember seeing a Fifth Gear episode where Tiff was explaining how far car safety had come. They crashed a Volvo 440 into a little Citroen with NCAP 5* rating at about 20mph each (so 40mph combined speed). head on, driver to driver.

Everyone thought the Tank of a car will plow through the little car. After the accident the Volvo didn't look too bad at all but you couldn't open the drivers door and the pedals had been shoved up into the driver. The little Citroen looked a wreck with every panel bent/broken where it had sent the force of the impact around the outside of the super structure. When they analysed the results the Citroens computer hadn't thought the crash significant enough to fire the Airbags but had moved the drivers seat back and into the centre console and also tightened the seat belt tensioner.

The crash test dummies showed the Volvo driver with multiple broken bones and hemorrhaging and the Citroen driver would of had slight bruising.

• Like 1

Glad the wife is ok.

i would have guessed by the description they would have gone off, but I don't know enough to really say that in all tRuth.

what age is the car, as that also makes a difference.

the comment about bumpers been nudged to set off airbags and open doors was correct, a good few yrs back, am sure they learnt a lesson from that and things have been addresed since then.

cars are designed to crumple around you in any impact, the car is classed as sacrificial first, crumple zones, which is very annoying in a tiny shunt as it can costs thousands replacing bumpers, wings, grills etc etc, old days of solid tin and metal are long gone, and in the event of a hefty shunt it's a good job too.

• Like 1