Airbags

Mrs W had a fairly heavy front end crunch in her car yesterday. She had nearly stopped but the bellend coming the other way just ploughed into her. I think the car is written off as it's done the bonnet, front valance, bumper, grill and both wings. It's definitely bent something underneath too.  None of the airbags went off, so how hard does the impact need to be to set them off?

2 minutes ago, walshie said:

Mrs W had a fairly heavy front end crunch in her car yesterday. She had nearly stopped but the bellend coming the other way just ploughed into her. I think the car is written off as it's done the bonnet, front valance, bumper, grill and both wings. It's definitely bent something underneath too.  None of the airbags went off, so how hard does the impact need to be to set them off?

I take it she's ok? It's a good question, obviously they shouldn't just go off with a bump, but it sounds like they failed in your wife's case?

• Like 1

She's fine thanks. Just a bit shook up.

Now she's going down the "what-if?" route. IF she had stopped for diesel when she was going to then that wouldn't have happened. Maybe not, but it could have been a tractor coming that way 10 minutes later and it would have been a lot worse. 

They can fix a car. 

Just now, scothunter said:

Yea hope she isnt to shook up walshie. 

Dunno about airbags. I thought they would have went off with you're description of the car.what model qas the car mate?

Just a small Citroen thing. Bit smaller now. 

I had a similar experience. I was genuinely injured.First thing my GP asked me was whether the airbags had activated.I got the strong impression he was trying to discover whether I  was a compensation seeker or genuinely hurt.

I was driving a Honda Civic. I was def travelling faster than 14 mph and the other driver hit me at fairly high speed. Both cars written off. My airbags def never activated. It was in 99 so no chance of investigation now.

I'm glad your missus is ok Walshie :thumbs:

As already said, they don't usually need a big impact to go off.

I've seen one go off when a car bumped the one in front while traffic was crawling along at less than 10mph.

If the car was bought used, it's possible that the previous owner had them disabled - some airbags can be proper nose breakers - not what you'd want in a minor collision.

• Like 1

an easy way of gaining entry to a locked car was to simply drive up to it and give it a little bumper tap this would trigger the airbags and unlock all the doors, so that should be all the force needed to set them off I would imaging, if you are going to complain or seek some compo they will say it broke in the crash and was fine before the impact standard get out clause,  as you say your wife's fine and car can be replaced so that's the most important thing, 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, walshie said:

Sounds like they should have gone off mate , I was at a deer call out a few moths ago the fella had only clipped it with one wing and his air bag went off , which then shuts down the car .Glad Trish is ok , that’s the main thing , especially as you can’t cook ..:whistling:

• Like 1