Badger Cull

Watching country-file and there was a debate on the badger cull reguarding TB , all the scientific research seemed to show it works , then up pops a bloke who IMO didn't have any real facts just doesn't agree with the cull , I've spoke to farmers over here (isle of man) and where TB free and ironically badger free . . We've had TB in the past but they where through imported cattle as the testing before importation where lax whereas now it's tight , but as a rule where TB free according to people in the know so that in itself maybe tells you something. .  Badger Free & TB Free !! 

• Thanks 1

I caught the tail end......they wouldn't admit culling was working would they!?!? 

Ianesra..... We once pm'd on here about mink hunting, on my previous profile (lost log on details). I got sorted with plenty of hunting, let me know if you are ever over ?

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I caught the tail end......they wouldn't admit culling was working would they!?!? 

Ianesra..... We once pm'd on here about mink hunting, on my previous profile (lost log on details). I got sorted with plenty of hunting, let me know if you are ever over ?

To be fair they said it could be working along side other efforts. Which basically would be correct. Not just one action will stop the spread of bovine tb.

Cheers mate appreciate that , I'm in Lancashire next weekend ironically , only a flying visit to Burnley to watch the Arsenal  (Pride of North London after yesterday ?) , They took the opinion of a bloke who put facts and figures up which made sense then the opinion of a brian May clone who had no facts and made no sense , I like some topics they do but basically country file don't like to admit any form of culling or hunting with running dogs , terriers or hounds works , which is a joke considering it's a programme based in the countryside , I wish 1 day they'd ask those who actually live & work in the countryside what's there opinion . . I think I know the answer and that's why they won't ask !! 

12 hours ago, Accip74 said:

If the figures are correct. How does it cost over 24 million to kill a bunch of badgers over 4 years?? Wtf?? That's if those figures were correct?

I didn't watch the programme and neither can I verify that figure but I know a couple of contractors so can elude a bit to what it involves.

For starters to my knowledge it's privately funded by the landowners. Thermal spotting scopes have to be bought for every marksman and traps have to be bought to lend out to every trapper. Smart phones have to be provided to everyone. Training course for the proposed contractors have to be run for every area. Every badger has to be bagged tagged and disposed of as though it was livestock. Then there's special ammunition for trappers to use. There's also obviously logistics and a command running and logging every contractors actions and police involvement. And finally there's a small fee paid per badger to the contractors.

Way to over-complicate wildlife management!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I didn't watch the programme and neither can I verify that figure but I know a couple of contractors so can elude a bit to what it involves.

For starters to my knowledge it's privately funded by the landowners. Thermal spotting scopes have to be bought for every marksman and traps have to be bought to lend out to every trapper. Smart phones have to be provided to everyone. Training course for the proposed contractors have to be run for every area. Every badger has to be bagged tagged and disposed of as though it was livestock. Then there's special ammunition for trappers to use. There's also obviously logistics and a command running and logging every contractors actions and police involvement. And finally there's a small fee paid per badger to the contractors.

Way to over-complicate wildlife management!

Obviously that figure may not be correct, but I'm sure the police involvement would account for a nice chunk of the budget for what, like you say, could of been a much simpler process.

Just now, Accip74 said:

Obviously that figure may not be correct, but I'm sure the police involvement would account for a nice chunk of the budget for what, like you say, could of been a much simpler process.

So would the training courses, carcass disposal and risk assessments at a guess etc.

A nation of utterly pathetic fannies has led to this imo. The government are so terrified of anything going wrong and the bad press they have over-engineered the shite out of it.

On a slightly different note, I'm more interested to see what the studies show the effect on hedghog and lapwing (etc) populations is than TB.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Both of those creatures are in serious,serious decline. I love the call of the lapwing , but I have to travel to hear it now.  It's a long time since I heard a hedgehog shuffling in a hedgerow  too. Very sad.

I'm lucky to see fair numbers of lapwing and in some badger-less areas hedghogs, mostly retrieved by my terrier (unharmed). Leverets, English Partridges and of course Bees should benefit too. I'm quietly optimistic that there will be a solid conservation argument to back up a sustained national badger control policy.

Edited by Born Hunter
22 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I'm lucky to see fair numbers of lapwing and in some badger-less areas hedghogs, mostly retrieved by my terrier (unharmed). Leverets, English Partridges and of course Bees should benefit too. I'm quietly optimistic that there will be a solid conservation argument to back up a sustained national badger control policy.

The last couple of springs I've enjoyed Lapwings. They seem to arrive around march. Not that many, but a few pairs spend their days on the fields behind my house. The arial displays, the calling & the distinctive sound of their wing beat is pure magic as I walk the dog. Plenty of hedgehogs as well. There are no badgers found in this area. 

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1