Getting fed up

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the same here. Just think though lads the places where your going and struggling to catch the last couple of rabbits what are you gonna catch next season when there's no breeding stock?

I've got to say: I was convincing myself that numbers were down after reading stuff like this but actually, numbers are just down in the places that I have been looking. I spent last few weeks trying

Hasn't been rabbits in my area for 25 years but pockets are appearing back again until some clowns go out and spend every day for 3 weeks ferreting them out . Old boys too in their 60,s wouldn't you t

down in my part of the south west we haven't got huge numbers anymore but so far it's been steady as long as you only go after them for a couple of hours 2/3 times a week.

up to now me and a mate have had about 80.my pb so far this season is 11 in an hour.that was early season so decided to leave the rest for another time.usually pick up 6/7 then come back.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sean09 said:

Il start from the begining. Im from Ireland been hunting the past 20years and recently moved to England, the north west to be precise. I have gained a little bit of perm here and there over the season nothing too much.

I have never seen anything as bad in my life, i have spent the past few weeks going lamping looking for new ground to possibly ferret and pick a few bunnys up on the lamp but there is literally no numbers here in this part. Its extremly frustrating theres maybe a few here and there but nowere near enough to satisfy 2 young dogs busting to get the work in this country.

Example i set off friday night to a bit of perm i got a few bunnies ect, i mean a few think i got 3 runs. Out for 8/9hours scouting about then i done the same last night literally out from dusk till dawn. If that was back home in ireland i would have gotten plenty.

Does anyone else struggle to get any kind of work with the dogs? Surely it cant be as bad as it is!! I done well over 400miles in 2 nights and not a bloody thing. Its very disheartining.

Where you living now? Im from nw and moved to ireland. More rabbits in nw. Get yourself in cumbria plenty about.

• Confused 1

Hasn't been rabbits in my area for 25 years but pockets are appearing back again until some clowns go out and spend every day for 3 weeks ferreting them out . Old boys too in their 60,s wouldn't you think they would have sense to  let them recover and only have a couple of days out.? The only way you will live a busy hunting life  in some areas is to drift from one form of hunting to another i.e. Rabbiting/foxing/stalking/ rough shooting and a bit of fishing in the off season. At least you are still getting out.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Dinosaurs said:

Same on my perms went out thurs  nt & last nt saw 1 rbt sat on hedgerow & soon as lamp on it it jumped in !!! Very sad times. Dogs not had a run down here in weeks!! Atb

Its sad times mate. I cant put it together back home i know at least 30+ lads that be out lamping ferreting digging shooting getting decent numbers and season after season tbe population doesnt seem to be effected. Go figure....

Edited by sean09
7 minutes ago, sean09 said:

Its sad times mate. I cant put it together back home i know at least 30+ lads that be out lamping ferreting digging shooting getting decent numbers and season after season tbe population doesnt seem to be effected. Go figure....

maybe mate you have to move back  to ireland  , its crap here in england, ok ive had good bags over the years  , but by fook have i traveled   done   8 hours driving to put game in front of my dogs when i was young, fit , keen , the big word   lol , gone out  8pm   got back home 8am   thats a long shift for  40 rabbits and couple of foxes in a night , no mate lamping for some reason getting popular, and owning a lurcher  , and with this feckin BAN  it mad it alot harder for the lamper bloke or woman deff .

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, bird said:

maybe mate you have to move back  to ireland  , its crap here in england, ok ive had good bags over the years  , but by fook have i traveled   done   8 hours driving to put game in front of my dogs when i was young, fit , keen , the big word   lol , gone out  8pm   got back home 8am   thats a long shift for  40 rabbits and couple of foxes in a night , no mate lamping for some reason getting popular, and owning a lurcher  , and with this feckin BAN  it mad it alot harder for the lamper bloke or woman deff .

You have to laugh though mate the antis dont realise it but the ban has only resulted in more game being killed. Its made the sport blowup as you say its more popular than ever but with less quarry to go out at. The antis are tbeir own worst enemys.

Numbers definitely down local to me.. We are only interested in taking a couple here and there so we still doing ok .. always took it for granted when numbers were high even myxi didn’t knock numbers too badly but dogs and ferrets having to work hard for a few just lately. 

My mates got a perm in fields right next to farmers house & only access is through farm yard so confident no one else been on it. Last year we were shooting ( farmer hates dogs & wont allow any on his land) 15-20 most nites we went there. We only went every few weeks & left enough on land to keep goin back. Been twice this season & only seeing 1 or2 so left them hoping they recover. Farmer thinks weve done one hell of a good job But rabbit decline not down to us!! Atb 

• Like 1

Bugger all round here,only talking about it last week.

I truly believe the rabbit could become a bit of a scarcity in the uk, look at the population boom of buzzards,badgers foxes etc

then airgunners ,summer lurcher hunters they can only go on for so long.

thats without Mixy an the other disease?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Travelling in wrong direction mate

I most definitly am mate. I think the next few weekends could be spent going up round the north a bit more.

3 hours ago, FKOF said:

Rifle men do a good job in the north west !!!

Has to be part of the problem. They wipe out everything where as being a lurcher man i can safely say i would always like to keep a healthy population.