Dumb down for kids?

5 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

I have always talked to my kids like adults, the 4 month old may get the odd googoo gaga to make her laugh but in general doesn'. 

The 2 year old gets spoken to properly and I will not have the 'it' a doggie' ... no its a f***ing dog, don' talk to my child like a dinny! I refuse to teach my girls twice because people think you talk to kids like simpletons. 

We have kids programmes  on yes but only a select few that have some degree of education or that talk perfect English I won' have retards on the box because the kids will emulate them

I'm pretty much the same. I used to be awkward around other peoples young kids because I thought you were supposed to dumb down your way of talking? I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have had friends come here & completely change their speaking voice to talk to my boy, I'm like wtf?

I've been really strict on tv so far. Just select stuff for short periods. Not just sticking the tv on as a pacifier. I friend of mine bought an Ipad for his four year old last year just to keep him quiet.  

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ramblings and racism on thl surely not 

When channel 4 was first aired. Alternative comedy and those gay/lezzie/wogs getting top billing only cauae of colour not talent. Not being funny but we educated them on racism and then now they

My boys 7 and my favourite thing is peeking in his room and seing him playing with toys , giving them voices and storylines etc . Plenty of time for growing up when their older 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Accip74 said:

I'm pretty much the same. I used to be awkward around other peoples young kids because I thought you were supposed to dumb down your way of talking? I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have had friends come here & completely change their speaking voice to talk to my boy, I'm like wtf?

I've been really strict on tv so far. Just select stuff for short periods. Not just sticking the tv on as a pacifier. I friend of mine bought an Ipad for his four year old last year just to keep him quiet.  

My younger sis has a son,had him in later life,as a result he is spoilt and rules the roost,got an I-pad,games consol,TV is on constant,he is 4 years old now and his speech is terrible because he was goo-goo ga-ga'd all of the time,he has no manners because he gets his own way and is the alpha-male in the house as his dad is a drip.

• Sad 1

I'm really getting into Wind in the Willows again, a lovely bit of nostalgia    :cray:Plus the boy loves it that his dad wants to sit & watch something with him. I might have it on when he's at school  :laugh:

Watership Down in the post next...............................can stand all that Pixar shite!  :laugh:

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

I'm really getting into Wind in the Willows again, a lovely bit of nostalgia    :cray:Plus the boy loves it that his dad wants to sit & watch something with him. I might have it on when he's at school  :laugh:

Watership Down in the post next...............................can stand all that Pixar shite!  :laugh:

I wanna put watership down on for my kids but with my eldest only being 6 and a half i thought it might be a bit much....rabbits tearing chunks out of each other lol

8 minutes ago, dave88 said:

I wanna put watership down on for my kids but with my eldest only being 6 and a half i thought it might be a bit much....rabbits tearing chunks out of each other lol

Funny enough I talking to mum on the phone last night about this. She said she had read online reviews where people were complaining it's certification wasn't high enough?  :huh:

Apparently my parents took me to watch it at the cinema between 4-5 years old. I was obsessed with that film :laugh:

My boys not 5 yet, but he'll be watching it next week 

You are right Accip  (I lasted 24 hours by the way) never understood people patronising kids. They are just younger us. Nothing my grandsons like better than 3 generations " man talking" about fishing football etc . I think all this Attention Deficit Disorder is to do with the crash bang wallop of television and computer games. Kids never get a chance to think in silence.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

You are right Accip  (I lasted 24 hours by the way) never understood people patronising kids. They are just younger us. Nothing my grandsons like better than 3 generations " man talking" about fishing football etc . I think all this Attention Deficit Disorder is to do with the crash bang wallop of television and computer games. Kids never get a chance to think in silence.

Next time we can make it a challenge. See who can last the longest?  :D

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Just don’t forget guys, let kids be kids aswell as that’s just as important as being anything else 

My boys 7 and my favourite thing is peeking in his room and seing him playing with toys , giving them voices and storylines etc . Plenty of time for growing up when their older 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Don't get me wrong lads. I'd like to preserve that innocence for as long as possible. That's why as soon as I knew we were having kids I insisted we move out of the city into the country. I think country kids keep it a little longer? I just think mentally they can handle something a little more sophisticated than what's often on offer.

Mine watch scooby do and other kids TV , recently I've banned kids TV monday-thursday and they didn't really care . Just played in they're room that's all.  Most kids their age have TVs in their room but we won't allow it until he's in high school. Can't see the need for it . When they go to bed at half 7 they go their bedrooms and sleep easy and sent tired in the morning.  They've got a tablet each for Xmas last year but we've only allowed them when we gave them to them . Couple hours a week they'd play Minecraft or whatever on their tablets. At the moment my boy can't find his , it's been missing in the house for a month and he's not to fussed . 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Mine watch scooby do and other kids TV , recently I've banned kids TV monday-thursday and they didn't really care . Just played in they're room that's all.  Most kids their age have TVs in their room but we won't allow it until he's in high school. Can't see the need for it . When they go to bed at half 7 they go their bedrooms and sleep easy and sent tired in the morning.  They've got a tablet each for Xmas last year but we've only allowed them when we gave them to them . Couple hours a week they'd play Minecraft or whatever on their tablets. At the moment my boy can't find his , it's been missing in the house for a month and he's not to fussed . 

Loads of kids had tv's in their rooms when I was a kid. My mum didn't believe in it. I was irritated by that, but she was right.......though I was gutted I wasn't watching the Young Ones when a lot of my 11 year old class mates were.........:sad:

22 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Actually, we're looking at different mistakes......

It should read "...... they're thick, so their kids will be."

I know mate, I was playing devils advocate... however we have discovered something we have in common.

We both think Ginger is a tard ?

• Like 2