Dumb down for kids?

I've just received the original series of Wind in the Willows on DVD for my kids. I've been looking forward to this, as I was a fan as a child & I put it on for an hour this morning for my kids before we went out.

Fcuk me!!!! What the fcuk has happened to kids TV??? When did we decide we had to talk to young kids like fcuking idiots while dressed in all the colours of the rainbow?

First thing that struck me was the sophistication of the language used. Way above the station of the average adult fcukwit on the street & this is aimed at young kids don't forget! They even brought Latin into one episode!

It's really brought it home to me that today's kids tv is mostly retarded nonsense. I haven't allowed my boy to watch children's TV until recent months. He is 4 & half. I'm not sure of I'm right or wrong, but going by what I have seen him watch & todays viewing of classic british children's TV, I think I was right. This boy speaks 3 languages with perfect accent in each, interchanged through a conversation? do we really need to talk to kids in such a retarded way??

I googled 'Take hart' the other day. Tony hart was talkng to kids like adults about art. No patronising bollocks. What's changed? I thought we were supposed to have moved on?

Your thoughts?

• Like 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ramblings and racism on thl surely not 

When channel 4 was first aired. Alternative comedy and those gay/lezzie/wogs getting top billing only cauae of colour not talent. Not being funny but we educated them on racism and then now they

My boys 7 and my favourite thing is peeking in his room and seing him playing with toys , giving them voices and storylines etc . Plenty of time for growing up when their older 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Its not just kids. Politicians newsmen talk to us like we are 5year olds. 

Horrible  time ro live in if im honest.  Dunno if its cz im getting older but i seriously hark back to my childhood.  It was so much easier back then. 

Google wind in the willows mate & see the language they were using for young kids in the early 80's.......we are gong fcuking backwards!

Would the panel agree that at a point television provided education as well as entertainment and we reached a point where ratings became the only basis for programming?

For the rest, I can't really argue. We've gone from Latin in your example to the gibberish that the Tellytubbies spout... Question is where do you draw the line at education?

Its been a long time since it was educational.  Reality and folk who have no talent becoming celebs for no other reason than ratings. 

We have had so called celebs who are famous for being thick as f**k or winning some stupid cooking show or for sitting in a house talking pish.

i like to learn stuff if i watch tv. Like QI i think this had the potential to be a really educational thing.  However that talentless c**t alan davis ruined it for me. Every time they were explaining the topic he would talk over the host with childish nonsense.  If someone laughed he repeated the same line or action again and again.

Im afraid tv of the future will be even worse. 

1 minute ago, scothunter said:

Its been a long time since it was educational.  Reality and folk who have no talent becoming celebs for no other reason than ratings. 

We have had so called celebs who are famous for being thick as f**k or winning some stupid cooking show or for sitting in a house talking pish.

i like to learn stuff if i watch tv. Like QI i think this had the potential to be a really educational thing.  However that talentless c**t alan davis ruined it for me. Every time they were explaining the topic he would talk over the host with childish nonsense.  If someone laughed he repeated the same line or action again and again.

Im afraid tv of the future will be even worse.

Fully agree but do you think it's possible to pinpoint the time it went from at least partly educational to full on distraction?

I know the first world has become a place where a lot of homes need to two breadwinners. Also a lot of homes with one parent. Where do you reckon the line was crossed from educational to the babysitter?

• Thanks 1

I would take a guess at around the time when family break up and divorce became increasingly more common. That's when predators attack, when the flock is at its most vulnerable. 

And for the social engineers, that too would be the best time to get in and start manipulating the family audience, especially the children. In my humble opinion. Good topic.

When channel 4 was first aired. Alternative comedy and those gay/lezzie/wogs getting top billing only cauae of colour not talent.

Not being funny but we educated them on racism and then now they use it to get job positions and able to say what they like. If you want an example dianne abbot. Thick as f**k racist me mentally unhinged.  And in a job where she gets a huge salary. 

Now we come to schools.  My teachers were proper teachers. Teachers these days are liberal to the extreme. Drilling into kids heads what "they" think is right basically undermining the parents. 

Ah f**k it just depresses me tbh

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Bright colours, catchy ditties, an endless stream of bollox.......that's TV in general - the new opium of the masses ! And too many worship the thing that enslaves them........how many of us have a telly on for hours on end, when nobody's watching it ?

Do civilisation a favour and be the one who switches it off, but not the one who switches it on !

• Like 1

children's tv started going tits up with the introduction of all this dumb as shit american high school tv and shows like the kardashians.

the internet also has a big part to play in that where any dumb f**k can become a celebrity on you tube or whatever and can have access to millions of impressionable youngsters.

I have always talked to my kids like adults, the 4 month old may get the odd googoo gaga to make her laugh but in general doesn'. 

The 2 year old gets spoken to properly and I will not have the 'it' a doggie' ... no its a f***ing dog, don' talk to my child like a dinny! I refuse to teach my girls twice because people think you talk to kids like simpletons. 

We have kids programmes  on yes but only a select few that have some degree of education or that talk perfect English I won' have retards on the box because the kids will emulate them

• Like 1