Personally, I hate messing around with PCPs - Springers, yes, all day long but, high pressure air gets me worried.

If you're determined and technically proficient, do your research, make sure the rifle is completely empty of air and, give it a whirl.

Good luck :thumbs:

In all honesty raptar. Its kinda mukky water. PCP tuning is very weird. 

Hear me out.

I could make my springers do 15 FPE, on my own, with stuff I have in my bits tin. No problems. Fine. But. I dont.

PCP tuning is slightly different, as one could potentially 'tune' there air chukka to throw lead at 25-30 FPE with ease if they know what there doing.

Its not often you get a PCP tuning thread for this very reason [As most dont want to tell you how to up the power of a PCP] and most jump on it for that very reason. However, I am not saying your wanting to do that, but once you know how to tune it, you know how to "properly" tune it if you catch my drift.

I dont know how to tune it though :)

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Rez said:

In all honesty raptar. Its kinda mukky water. PCP tuning is very weird. 

Hear me out.

I could make my springers do 15 FPE, on my own, with stuff I have in my bits tin. No problems. Fine. But. I dont.

PCP tuning is slightly different, as one could potentially 'tune' there air chukka to throw lead at 25-30 FPE with ease if they know what there doing.

Its not often you get a PCP tuning thread for this very reason [As most dont want to tell you how to up the power of a PCP] and most jump on it for that very reason. However, I am not saying your wanting to do that, but once you know how to tune it, you know how to "properly" tune it if you catch my drift.

I dont know how to tune it though :)

ah ok, thx anyway.

I am shooting rabbit, duck and pigeon but hoping to bag a goose with my mate, I can shoot ok at about 30-40 yards but he say's I need to be able to shoot a 5p at 60-70yards.

but I was thought that 50-55 yards was the max for an air rifle.

I have not fired at anything over 40 yards.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

• Like 1

Firstly, a goose has a huge amount of feathers and even shotgun loads don't always get through but more than this, geese are NOT a bird on the general list for air rifle shooting. I know geese have been shot with air rifles but you need to be very close taking a head shot but in all honesty..................................leave well alone.

It sounds like you need more experience to gain the accuracy rather than gun tuning and that means 'range time' to get to the level you want. Many of the members on here are able to hit a 10p coin at 60 - 70 yds but that doesn't mean they will shoot live quarry at that range although that range is quite possible but not without your own ability.

You need to be able to take head shots for ALL your live quarry, NO body shots.

It would be a help if you can tell us what power level it has by checking with a chrono. If you don't have a chrono, most gun dealers do and will test the gun while you wait either for free or a small charge. When you know this, the members will be better able to give advice based on the information you give us.

Phil

• Like 2

You can't shoot geese with an air rifle and, even if you could, 70 yards is "ambitious" for a kill shot, to say the least...............don't try it ,mate. 

Case in point - I was on a game shoot yesterday, and I had to let a couple of Canada's fly no more than 25 yards over my head as I was "only" shooting 27g loads through my shotgun !

• Like 1

You will find all you need on YouTube.  That is common knowledge and not a controversial statement.  If you are hoping to up the power to FAC without having FAC then you are in the wrong place in my opinion.   If that is not the case and you are having low power issue with you Rifle  then talk to SMK or you locale RFD.    As to hunting with Air Rifles the lads have given you Top notch common sense and advice.

All the very best

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 1