anybody work on the railways

18 minutes ago, air gun ant said:

Sorry to here that mate, there was a few good people lost their lives that weekend. but I do believe lessons have been learned. I hope so anyway mate

Sorry mate it was the grayrigg one I'm on about. Her nan was the only one to die. Having been to the crash site while the train was still there and stood next to it I'm still amazed only one person died.

2 hours ago, gnipper said:

Sorry mate it was the grayrigg one I'm on about. Her nan was the only one to die. Having been to the crash site while the train was still there and stood next to it I'm still amazed only one person died.

I didn't think there was anybody on the train? But didn't want to say in case I remembered wrong. After a quick Google I do remember that! Rip to your relative mate. We all give shit about h&s but it needs doing and jobs like the railway are jobs that have "winged it" since day dot, although I believe it's a lot better now? 

Some here are getting ideas above their station......just looking for a platform to let off some steam, and I reckon they need a Rocket putting up 'em - they shunt do it ! Can't see the at-traction myself, but I don't want to take sidings...........that's the ticket !

(Coat, please !)

Just now, Blackbriar said:

Some here are getting ideas above their station......just looking for a platform to let off some steam, and I reckon they need a Rocket putting up 'em - they shunt do it ! Can't see the at-traction myself, but I don't want to take sidings...........that's the ticket !

(Coat, please !)

Pundalmentalism at it's finest! 

• Like 1

I've done 18 years which is nothing in Railway terms my colleague has done 45 years still going strong he's retiring in 18 months they say if you stay for five years your here for life, I love the job it's a way of life good banter out in the fresh air and countryside the public don't get access to, it's changed massively in my time we only used to wear hi-vis vests when I started now head to toe  in orange and if I started going on about the paperwork just to access the track I would be here all day.

• Like 1

I don't know where you live but railway people travel long distances to go where the work is there has been masses of OHL work on the cross rail project in the Shenfield area, also age is another factor if your young the  apprenticeship scheme is a good starting point or some of the youngsters use what is known as the graduation scheme all the information will be on the Network Rail website and there are multitudes of contract companies out there as well.

if you get a start on the overheads they train you up as you go along I used to operate and control Road Railers for them it's a tough old world they work in but a good living.

Good luck  

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/

Edited by FLATTOP