.25 Air Rifle Power FAC recommendations.

Ive decided to try the .25 calibre in FAC , and am looking into which model to purchase. 

Some manufacturers clearly display the power output and fps and some don't.

Bsa for example state a speed of 665 fps from their R10 .25 cal FAC model on their website. I've ran this through the apps and its giving up to around 30 ftlb dependant on pellet.

I hear many lads recommending a muzzle velocity of close to 900 fps for .22 and .25.

Id appreciate a few opinions and suggestions from .25 FAC users on whats best as the power output of the calibre will dictate which rifle to purchase.

Thanks.

I have an FX Impact .25 running at 47fpe using Air Arms Field pellets, 25.4gr which I find to be an excellent combination for producing tight groups and loads of killing power out to 90mt taking rabbits up to this range with no problem.

The Impact also has a 16 shot magazine which is very handy at night.

I just love using this gun.

Hope that helps.

Phil

I shoot a .25 Vulcan running at 50 ft/lb. 

same pellets as phil above. 

Stupidly accurate but because it's a bullpup type the action is so close to your ear it's deafening. 

No cheek piece rest either. 

Very compact and handy for shooting out of the motor. 

Cheers for the replys  :thumbs:

its looking like the power needs to be around 45-50 fps to get best results then.

Cant understand why Bsa run it at 33. Possibly limited to bottle size or working pressures maybe ?

Im liking the fx impact, looks great and very compact but I'm finding many people having issues with them when looking at them on net. Also today for example, my lad slipped and his bsa ultra stock ended up in the sloppiest bit of muddy crap in the field, just wiped it over in the sink when we got back home.

If that had been me with the impact then no doubt since many of the working parts are at the rear it would have been a full strip down job and clean up, probably would have to knock shooting on the head in case all the crap got the barrel, mag, or air inlet. I like the short size and style of the impact but there does seem to be loads of places for dust and mud to get stuck in.

One I've been looking at is the FX Royale 500 with synthetic stock. Ive had a go of the Royale 400 in .22 fac and was surprised how light it was.

Only downside is its quite long in .25

Intrigued with the .25 cal though. hopefully it will do nicely where the lr is too bouncy. Out of curiosity what are you zeroing at ??

Heyup mate, @Premier Pistol can modify a BSA FAC version to give you more power, just needs a longer barrel fitting and some tweaks if you go down that route.

I like the FX rifles now, but the Daystate Wolverine looks interesting also..

Also check out the FX Boss or save for a Crown !!!

With my .25 Impact I zero way shorter than most at 25mt because on one perm the shooting is very close so are the rats at another perm and my local RFD has a 25mt indoor range so it is handy. At 60mt I am half a mildot holdover so not really an issue but on my Rapid .22 fac, I zero at 40mt as the pellet flight is nowhere near as flat as the .25.

Phil

I have access to a cricket in .25 and a Vulcan in .25, and a matador in .25, I use all these 3 rifles regularly when we go out, all are running between 43lb (Vulcan) and 50lb cricket, and all of them shoot incredibly flat for the heavy .25 lead.

my shooting buddy had a rapid .25 at 30lb. and he had massive trajectory, ok once you learn it, but limited the range for him due to lack of mildots on the scope.

bsa limit the fac versions to around 30 as the accuracy goes terrible if it's pushed out much more than that.

• Like 1

I read a lot of American Air rifle tuning web sites , the general line of thought for air rifle pcp power pellet weight ratio for an air efficient rifle is twice the pellet weight in .25 cal i.e 25grn x 2 = 50 fpe .

I run a .22 using 21.14 grn at 40 fpe 920 fps , so a .25 cal to be air efficient would be in the 49 /50 fpe . after that if your not worried about shot count go 30 + grn and push up the power to 900 to 960 fps .

ATB

6 hours ago, Deker said:

dixyhmr  

Out of interest why a .25 at 50ft lb.    Every single calibre out there has a use, but, for example, why the .25 over say a .22 @ a bit less power?

Cheers

To be honest deker, just purely and totally to try something a bit different.

No logical or long winded reason. Just fancy something different. The .25 seems to sit on the edge of the heavy side.... once you get up over the trajectories get loopy but its got plenty of punch and not too much penetration from what I can gather.

Ive never shot the .25 and I fancy giving it a go. not planning on long range stuff, just bunnies out to around 50 and squirrels.

To be honest I've got plenty of tools for different jobs and im sure that either the .22 or the .25 will fill my needs. I just want to have a play with something totally new..... a step into the unknown.

11 hours ago, IanB said:

Heyup mate, @Premier Pistol can modify a BSA FAC version to give you more power, just needs a longer barrel fitting and some tweaks if you go down that route.

I like the FX rifles now, but the Daystate Wolverine looks interesting also..

Also check out the FX Boss or save for a Crown !!!

You know me Ian, just hate scratching nice wood stocks. Maybe its the joiner in me :laugh:. even my shotguns are plastic !. ( just been round Pauls tonight and he's got that grs bolt horn stock.... very nice ) tempted myself now 1

Itl be synthetic most probably although it does limit my options slightly.

8 hours ago, dixyhmr said:

To be honest deker, just purely and totally to try something a bit different.

No logical or long winded reason. Just fancy something different. The .25 seems to sit on the edge of the heavy side.... once you get up over the trajectories get loopy but its got plenty of punch and not too much penetration from what I can gather.

Ive never shot the .25 and I fancy giving it a go. not planning on long range stuff, just bunnies out to around 50 and squirrels.

To be honest I've got plenty of tools for different jobs and im sure that either the .22 or the .25 will fill my needs. I just want to have a play with something totally new..... a step into the unknown.

:thumbs:

Mine does a smidgen over 45ft lbs at 890 fps. I can get 25 really consistent shots out of it. Best ammo for this gun is JSB Exact 25.39g

Worth thinking about getting a scope which is parallax adjustable - works for me!

One downside is it's a heavy set up!

days9.jpg      

days7.jpg