HW 100 KS stock,- which oil should i apply lads ?

If it is walnut use walnut oil from Tescos. Simple is as simple does. Just make sure it is 100%walnut oil as it does not go rancid. A little rubbed into the stock, polished and left overnight to oxidise does bring out the best in walnut! Also protects, waterproofs and tastes nice in salad dressings....

• Haha 1

That oil looks like it works wonders iv always stained and used true-oil.

Next week I'm refinishing an old side by side stock, and doing my first hand rubbed oil finnish. Which oil would make the wood the darkest?

Sorry for interupting mark!

6 hours ago, tomburras said:

That oil looks like it works wonders iv always stained and used true-oil.

Next week I'm refinishing an old side by side stock, and doing my first hand rubbed oil finnish. Which oil would make the wood the darkest?

Sorry for interupting mark!

Right Tom its the stain that makes it darker not the oil .

i normally water the stain down ,and apply a few coats until iv got it where i want to be with it

but if its a dark stock you want put a coat of stain on the way it comes out of the bottle let it dry

and spit on your finger and run it over the stock this will give you an indication of what the stock will look like once its oil,d 

if its not the way you want it put another coat of stain on and repeat until your happy with it then put the tru oil on .

if its a beach stock .

If its a walnut stock then use tung oil on it first one good coat let it stand for an hour then wipe the excess off then leave to dry until the next day once it is dry use BALLISTOL this drys darker you may need to put a few coats on mind it stinks

lol

plus it can be used on all of the rifle ie,,,bluing as well

its good stuff.

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Ps,, im going to do the hw100 in the morning just using the ballistol to see what it comes out like

ill put some pics up for you so you can see what its like Tom

• Like 1
On 11/17/2017 at 15:01, mark williams said:

Which oil, if any, should be applied to a stock like this lads, please ?

IMG_0790.JPG.2e4542625d45511b5d806874bf7b7605.JPG

Mark the stock looks a bit plain so i save,d it and blew the pic up

its got some nice strait lines in it that would look good if the stock was darker its got a nice thick band half way up that runs through the cheek peace starting from the butt pad then under the cheek peace is dark as well but not as dark as the band half way up

and above the stippling on the forehand just above the stippling its nice and dark there to and it looks like it runs through the stippling .

or is it just the way the pics have turned out .

whats the other side like Mark

would be nice to get the dark spots darker and leave the light parts light

Fecking wish i lived closer mate id be at your door knocking it down to do it for you

love it when i get a plain stock and turn it into some thing special

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

atvbjimmy

P150411_12.51_[01].jpg

P100411_11.18.jpg

P150411_12.49_[02].jpg

P150411_12.52_[01].jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...