Big Cat Spotters etc .

Well, up until a couple of years ago I would have been with all the nay Sayers, they didn't exist in the wild in the uk unless it happened to be an escaped one from public/private collection and even then it was for weeks rather than years, and most certainly not breeding in the wild, in fact, I still have my doubts about it happening or been true.

But, I was heading home fairly early evening a couple of winters ago, about 6-30 ish, think it was in October but can't be sure, and I saw something, I didn't see it for seconds or minutes, just merely a glimpse, from the verge something jumped a small roadside ditch and went through a sparse hedgerow into fields beyond.

Now I'm not a crackpot, I've lived country all my life, I am pretty good, well actually very good at seeing things and what goes on around me, I just spot stuff others walk past, that's fact.

what I saw that evening made me stop in my tracks, I've never seen anything like it in the wild before or since, it wasn't a deer 100%, wasn't a  badger or fox 100%, it didn't look or move like any dog I've ever come across, it was too long in the body for a dog, the general size/height proportions were just all wrong, (unless it was some mental massive sausage dog) it did have a long tail, and I swear by god it moved just like a cat would, I didn't get a good clear look at it, I wish to feck I had, I saw it on my peripheral vision and it made me look, at which I saw the back end of 'something' disappearing, but I know what little I did see was like nowt I can pin down to been a native wild uk animal, I don't go round bleating about what I know I saw, because I cannot be certain, I have no proof of it happening, and folk just think your mad, like I always thought for many years when I have heard the stories, but by feck I saw something I cannot explain, I struggle even now to say it was a big cat as it sounds so bloody ridiculous, but it sure as feck moved the same way as an ordinary cat, only the size of a big dog.

I know the dark can and does play tricks with the mind, or rather the mind plays tricks on yourself in the dark, but I've spent most of my life out in the dark in fields and woods, and I've thought I heard things etc etc, 5 seconds later I dismiss it, but this was no imaginary thing, no trick of my mind, I was wide awake driving with main beam lights on, and I cannot erase what I saw from my mind, wish to god I had something more concrete as I'm pretty sure I know what I saw that night, but as always, without concrete eveidence, I refuse to believe it myself.

so no longer do I dismiss them all as mad or crackpots, although I believe most of them probably are,  I also think most of them wouldn't know the difference between a badger and a goat, so lots of mistaken identity must happen, but I have this nagging doubt in my mind, maybe, just maybe..............

To answer the original question, I think most of the sightseers need to be put on a crash country course so they can actually recognise most of what is living in the wild for a start ! That would cut 50% of the sightings down at least

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, up until a couple of years ago I would have been with all the nay Sayers, they didn't exist in the wild in the uk unless it happened to be an escaped one from public/private collection and even

Nothing to do with cats but that reminded me of a story I read a couple of days ago,maybe sometime soon a big cat and the farmers skeletons will be found.................  

Dunno about medical help. Maybe a crash course on photography might help though lol 

Posted Images

your sighting is dead normal mate, but there are some on here that would have you believe that in the 5 seconds you saw what you saw they would have got there tripod out set up the GoPro then took a perfectly placed head shot and produced the body for all to marvel at there great countryside skills and hunting ability, then there are a few people like yourself who actually go outside for real and know in there mind exactly what they saw FairPlay to you 

• Like 2

Headline says body found,fantastic.However,underneath the pic there's a question........Has the body of a big cat been found?So which is it,yes?Or No?And as scot said,its would have been flying around.........waiting with bated breath.

Edited by mackem
41 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Bollocks   there would be a pic on there facebook pages or a call to newspaper.  Be a f***ing tarp of a lorry or a sheep.if it even happened.

Is every one you know a total bullshitter ?? I can't imaging for one minute that a bloke driving a Lorry for a living suddenly thinks I no what will make me really popular I,m going to contact the paper  and make an outrageous claim I just saw three men loading a big cat into a van on the roadside, I know there are hoax,s and cases of mistaken I.d but really,,, I put a vid on one of the other threads of a bloke with a photo of a dead leopard in the gutter and a pelt of a leopard taken from a roadkill carcass it's not all lies. No matter how many times you shout  bollacks it does not make your case any stronger,  you would be better off contacting the council and demanding the info you require under the freedom of information act, if you ask for a digital copy they can't charge you, there is as much a place for pessimists in this as there is for people like me and I am happy to hear there reasons for doubting it but you have to come up with more than just shouting bollacks and calling everyone a liar  

On 11/15/2017 at 10:29, forest of dean redneck said:

Years ago there was a documentary on uk big cats and there was a southwest  slaughterman walking the corn fields with couple of terriers and a huge revolver strapped to his hip.

micky hibbard,he lived in my street growing up.when his revolvers wasn't strapped to his hip he left them on his car passenger seat.he had about 6 of them.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

3 blokes struggling ffs 

you see fellas carrying feral pigs on their backs for miles.

4 foot leopard would three guys struggle or maybe there's a little artistic licence.post-1930-0-42966900-1503906984_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Is every one you know a total bullshitter ?? I can't imaging for one minute that a bloke driving a Lorry for a living suddenly thinks I no what will make me really popular I,m going to contact the paper  and make an outrageous claim I just saw three men loading a big cat into a van on the roadside, I know there are hoax,s and cases of mistaken I.d but really,,, I put a vid on one of the other threads of a bloke with a photo of a dead leopard in the gutter and a pelt of a leopard taken from a roadkill carcass it's not all lies. No matter how many times you shout  bollacks it does not make your case any stronger,  you would be better off contacting the council and demanding the info you require under the freedom of information act, if you ask for a digital copy they can't charge you, there is as much a place for pessimists in this as there is for people like me and I am happy to hear there reasons for doubting it but you have to come up with more than just shouting bollacks and calling everyone a liar  

Talking a good yarn is equally as numbing with no backup to speak of .Why don't we let it lie until a pic is available ,time stamped ,taken in UK, then we will listen .Bollocks from either side from where I'm sitting with no forward momentom .

If they are out there mate ,your the kiddy to find it so relax ,chill and go find one .

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Talking a good yarn is equally as numbing with no backup to speak of .Why don't we let it lie until a pic is available ,time stamped ,taken in UK, then we will listen .Bollocks from either side from where I'm sitting with no forward momentom .

If they are out there mate ,your the kiddy to find it so relax ,chill and go find one .

If anyone is interested I believe there is a program on radio 4 at 9pm regarding leopards and bigcat sightings