As a NiteSite user, I am able to use my normal holdover scope settings for distances beyond my zero as of course we can on any 'add on' NV systems but as I am reviewing my NV set up after some good advice on here, I have no idea how you establish a holdover system on units such a Pulsar, ATN and Photon although I know there is a method within the software of ATN's X- Sight to adjust for different distances but on small targets such as rabbits, perhaps not a method I would use.

So the question is, how do you establish correct holdover on fixed NV units.

Words of wisdom please chaps.

Phil

Pulsars have various reticules on the dedicated units with hold over points, also the yukon. So you can just put targets at various ranges and see how they relate to the units reticule which should never change as its a fixed magnification unless you change the pellet/bullet type or power your using..

I use a rear NV add on, on a ray scope with separate rangefinder so I can utilise the scopes hold over points I already know..

Although I have put a Trail XQ50 on my FAC FX royale now, pretty deadly on the rats!!

The ATN X-Sights and MARS thermal scopes all have the same three options.

1) Choose a reticule with aimpoints and learn what they relate to the same as with any day scope. The reticule acts as though it is in the second focal plane, ie stays the same size as you zoom the image, so you need to allow for the same way you do with a SFP day scope.

2) Once you have input your ballistic coefficients, scope height etc, you can input the distance you have estimated the target to be at and the ballistic calculator with move the aim point accordingly.

There is also an option to aim to the top and bottom of you target and have the scope calculate the range according to the angle each time, but that relies on you knowing or estimating your target size.

3) As method two, but use the ATN rangefinder. Just range the target and the rangefinder tells the scope via Bluetooth and the scope adjusts the aimpoint for you.

And to make method three even more effective, attach the rangefinder to the side of the scope and allign it with the scopes aimpoint. That way you never need to look through the rangefinder, simply aim the scope and press the rangefinder button.

Anyone who wants to try this is welcome to give me a call.

Thank you both for that feed back. On you tube footage, I have only seen recticules that have no mildots ( for want of a better term) and thought there would be some method used that I was unaware of.

I do have a NiteSite rangefinder fitted to the NV which could easily be used in another set up. I really like the NiteSite on my FX Impact .25 fac for my ratting being very comfortable to scan the farm buildings and prefer that to any other......................................................until of course I get another which may well change my outlook. The rabbiting is where I feel a better NV would come into it's own and think I will set my new .22 rimfire purely for that purpose, hence my enquiry. 

Price is really important as I am retired so have to watch the cost but will be happy to save up once I know the route I will take and don't mind second hand if the product is in good order.

Thanks again chaps.

Phil

Phil get a rear mounted add on like a Ward for your existing scope and one of these fitted to a weaver rail attachment http://www.customriflescopes.com/shop.html#!/Weapon-mountable-laser-rangefinder-5-800m-shock-wproof-NV-compatible-MK-V4-1z/p/72132906/category=13698432 

I use mine from 15yds to 350yd shots, either with  solaris laser for air rifle/rimfire/hmr  or Dragonfly laser on the .223/.243.

I must confess that does sound a good route Ian whilst keeping the overall gun weight down and using the normal scope during the day. I know you said your head position remains the same when the Ward is fitted but I can always fit a bisley butt pad or similar with different thickness pads for use with / without the add-on.

The Custom Rifle rangefinder is very similar to my NiteSite unit and I am sure I would be able to use it on both set ups with a bit of thought as it works very well indeed.

Phil

20 hours ago, IanB said:

Cliff, I'm not being funny but the ATN products are guff in terms of NV and design.

Phil I will post some videos showing some setups later in the week.

It's really easy to say anything you like on line, so an argument is pointless, but anyone who likes is welcome to come and look at the complete range.

If they want to bring down any other manufacturers products to do a comparison I am also happy with that.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cliff Ray said:

It's really easy to say anything you like on line, so an argument is pointless, but anyone who likes is welcome to come and look at the complete range.

If they want to bring down any other manufacturers products to do a comparison I am also happy with that.

Your about the only bloke I have ever heard offer this, most companies don't want to know unless it involves parting with your hard earned first.

22 hours ago, philpot said:

Thank you both for that feed back. On you tube footage, I have only seen recticules that have no mildots ( for want of a better term) and thought there would be some method used that I was unaware of.

I do have a NiteSite rangefinder fitted to the NV which could easily be used in another set up. I really like the NiteSite on my FX Impact .25 fac for my ratting being very comfortable to scan the farm buildings and prefer that to any other......................................................until of course I get another which may well change my outlook. The rabbiting is where I feel a better NV would come into it's own and think I will set my new .22 rimfire purely for that purpose, hence my enquiry. 

Price is really important as I am retired so have to watch the cost but will be happy to save up once I know the route I will take and don't mind second hand if the product is in good order.

Thanks again chaps.

Phil

Phil, unsure if this is of interest to you, but I have a pulsar n550, it came back from the manufacturers a few months ago after been sent in for a full check over, I've not used it since as I bought the n870lrf whilst waiting for it to come back (takes months dealing with pulsar).

scott and country tell me he thinks they have fitted complete new internals inside my case, apparently they don't bother with older units for repair, they charge a set fee £195 in my case and just fit new internals.

i won't be needing it, and it may as well go, if it interests you.

18 hours ago, Rabid said:

Phil, unsure if this is of interest to you, but I have a pulsar n550, it came back from the manufacturers a few months ago after been sent in for a full check over, I've not used it since as I bought the n870lrf whilst waiting for it to come back (takes months dealing with pulsar).

scott and country tell me he thinks they have fitted complete new internals inside my case, apparently they don't bother with older units for repair, they charge a set fee £195 in my case and just fit new internals.

i won't be needing it, and it may as well go, if it interests you.

It is of interest although it does look rather heavy but right at this moment I am trying to get payment from a young lady who smashed into my car as we agreed to settle outside the insurance ....................

Perhaps you would be good enough to pm me what price you want and I will try to find out some info on the 550 as I am not at all knowledgeable on Pulsar.

Phil