Getting to old !

Out early this morning , slight north westerly , cold but very clear , stalked through the bottom woodland to try and end up coming up on onto the bottom paddocks were I glassed a few deer as I drove down at first light .Trying to get anywhere quietly was impossible with all the dry chestnut leaves on the ground , sounded like I was walking on bags of crisps ...I eventually got on to a grass ride and made my way along to the field only for the dog to stop , nose in the air scenting , got the gun on the sticks just in case , a couple of minutes went by and I couldn’t see anything and was just about to move on when I glimpsed the tail of a fallow doe ..45 yds to my left in among the chestnuts it dropped to the shot ..

gralloched I headed home ...4 hours later I’m back in one of the seats and out walked a poor pricket , just a couple of buttons on his head and he was added to the cull ..a shot from a pal in another seat added another one and just as the light was going a yearling Doe came out to my left , 160 m she jumped as the 129 gr 6.5 hit home , run a circle to disappear back into the scrub from where she had come out , gave it ten minutes , confident in the strike I took the dog down to where she was hit and she followed the circle and found the Doe dead 15 m into the scrub ..in the chiller at 64lb 75lb 66lb and 61 lb ...I’m nackered and my back aches ...

5D360014-FF78-4226-8691-0D2C0ED3136F.jpeg

72176EB0-2836-4B7A-827D-9B87CFD1D05F.jpeg

• Like 3

A hard days fun you’ve had there Rich. A nice hot toddy in front of the fire and those aches won’t feel quite so bad?.

Saying that my mate who dragged that 40lb roe deer a few meters up a hill was walking like he’d been hit by a car this morning?

• Like 1

Time to move to a roe only area mate and leave those donkeys to a younger man lol.When you are young ,you can't comprehend the aches and pains that go with the increased years .I use to take the piss relentlessly at work but now I'm one of them lol.Bad back ,knees and aching shoulders and that'sjust getting out the truck . 

Good going Rich ,you've a few more years in you yet mate .

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...