Jill’s wanted .. Yorkshire

22 minutes ago, neil b said:

My mistake then I thought I had read somewhere he got a white hob off you?????

He did mate..I gave him a couple of kits from Kens Jill..the Jill Ken gave to me. etc etc. But not from my Hob etc

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yorkshire ferrets lol they've only got to go down a foot in them soft easy Yorkshire warrens ... bring them down to the 12 foot chalk warrens of the south and see what their like lol ........

Thanks very much to chap who sorted me these 2 Jill’s.. and only 20 mins away.. top lad Dave my young en is over the moon so thank you very much. 

As title says.. looking for a Jill or 2 to add to our little team if anyone knows of any I’m near pontefract but don’t mind traveling within reason.. cheers sesku 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

Vin  what made you go hobs only on the dales just out of curiosity 

I don't want to start a ferret war etc..but we found that unless it was a very very good strong jill, it would struggle to hold a big buck rabbit down below and before you had dug a couple of foot down to it etc,there would be movement from mr bunny and then another hole would have to be dug to retrieve the bunny..This could happen a few times a day with smaller Jills and small hobs also. 

Then there's the factor that even when they're great jills etc , on a busy day down below ground by dinnertime they are asleep in the box and ready for bed. In contrast to the hobs still scratching away to get out of the box and go.

I like to have a good strong hob that can hunt his prey down and bolt it or kill it with no messing about.If the bunny hasn't bolted in a couple of minutes, I get the disco carrot out and have a look where he is..if he,s stopped for more than 30 seconds he is probably killing something or has it balled up a stop end, Sometimes it happens so fast that the spade is constantly on standby.Fortunately, most of our permissions are high up on the tops and the warrens, for the most part, are not very deep.

I've had some great working jills but 2-3 good jills would struggle to keep up with 1 of my hobs...I've tried them all in past few seasons...all shapes and sizes and for what type of ground I work the hobs suit perfectly.

27 minutes ago, vin said:

I don't want to start a ferret war etc..but we found that unless it was a very very good strong jill, it would struggle to hold a big buck rabbit down below and before you had dug a couple of foot down to it etc,there would be movement from mr bunny and then another hole would have to be dug to retrieve the bunny..This could happen a few times 

I like to have a good strong hob that can hunt his prey down and bolt it or kill it with no messing about.If the bunny hasn't bolted in a couple of minutes, I get the disco carrot out and have a look where he is..if he,s stopped for more than 30 seconds he is probably killing something or has it balled up a stop end, Sometimes it happens so fast that the spade is constantly

When I was a kid my mate had a little old blind poley hob which he used to just follow with the locator and mark an X every time he stopped for over ten seconds and then dig them out afterwards. Ive never seen a ferret kill as fast as that thing and luckily it was peat we were digging in not stoney ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't after starting anything vin  was just curious and thankyou for your answer the best ferret I have owned was a blind hob sadly no longer with us but would go all day whether bolt or kill he always stuck to his task and far better suited to bigger warrens than  Jill's I had I was just curious that's all whether you do the bigger warrens that are up there or just stick to the tight ones 

Edited by blackmaggie

It's all in the breeding lads I've Jill's here that will work for 10 hours a day a few days in a row they are relentless... their the same in the court constantly on that fukcing ferret wheel lol  ... I've also got two jills that kill rabbits in minuets without leaving a mark on them ... they've learned the kill zone where the neck meets the skull and bang its goodnight Irene ... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gnipper said:

When I was a kid my mate had a little old blind poley hob which he used to just follow with the locator and mark an X every time he stopped for over ten seconds and then dig them out afterwards. Ive never seen a ferret kill as fast as that thing and luckily it was peat we were digging in not stoney ground.

we have hobs like that mate... 30 seconds some days. I stick markers all over and when he's finished evacuating or killing I dig the dead out.. Sometimes you wouldn't know if you weren't following them about with the locator because it happens so fast and often without a noise from the bunny.

24 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

I wasn't after starting anything vin  was just curious and thankyou for your answer the best ferret I have owned was a blind hob sadly no longer with us but would go all day whether bolt or kill he always stuck to his task and far better suited to bigger warrens than  Jill's I had I was just curious that's all whether you do the bigger warrens that are up there or just stick to the tight ones 

I know that matey.. I meant I didn't want to start an argument with everyone else on the merits of working ferrets.

Its horses for courses all over the country and on different land people use different ferrets.

I will add that we use our hobs everywhere on any type of ground also..We do hedgerows down south and local and I do paid pest control regularly.They go down and hunt bunny wherever it may be.On any type of ground.My theory is they go at it with such tenaciousness and ferocity that the bunnies bolt out of sheer fear at the onslaught.

Anyway, lads, I feel we have Highjacked this thread.. has anyone got a spare Jill for the man ? 

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:52, s.e.s.k.u said:

As title says.. looking for a Jill or 2 to add to our little team if anyone knows of any I’m near pontefract but don’t mind traveling within reason.. cheers sesku 

94411DE6-B7B5-49DE-9104-E2E4DBC93C8A.jpeg

Pity you are on the other side of the world I would of given you a couple got a few atm. 

• Like 1
On 14/11/2017 at 23:30, vin said:

we have hobs like that mate... 30 seconds some days. I stick markers all over and when he's finished evacuating or killing I dig the dead out.. Sometimes you wouldn't know if you weren't following them about with the locator because it happens so fast and often without a noise from the bunny.

Our young hob seems to be doing this.. ferreting an old pit stack yesterday morning .. 2 separate digs and a couple of bolts in no time..keeping me fit lol

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 06:14, s.e.s.k.u said:

The young  hob in the pic is from a mate at Wakefield ??He’s doing great. Looks like a trip to Highgate on a Saturday morning see if we can drop on a couple 

Did you get the hob from Rob off Lupset mate.