Air pistol hunting

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know each forum has it's own rules, so, we abide by those rules or don't use the forum - fair enough. The pm thing sounds sneaky though.   There are some very good forums - a few of the bi

I used to take the occasional rabbit with this years ago. It was a very task specific tool though . Only used at a particular location that was semi-derelict industrial land. In parts heavily overgrow

Yes it was me that got banned on the airgun forum for pistol shooting rabbits.   They thought it gives the wrong image and thought I was doing it to flame them. I made it clear that it

Posted Images

So.. for those skilled enough to ensure a clean kill with a pistol

Which calibre would be preferred? I reckon that most shots would be less than 15 yards or even 10 feet. 

If I could use one it would be rats scurrying across the Duck Run. Not always possible to manoeuvre a rifle.

So with this kind of range, would people prefer .22 or .177 and why? 

I am expecting that this would be 5 foot pounds or thereabouts.

Pesky

I think that's the age old debate, just on a smaller scale.

I suspect the answer will still be 'Personal preference'.

I've gone .177 with mine because I quite like to target shoot with it and, this calibre will give me the option to join the competition at the club again.

Also, if I do decide to hunt with it, it'll be used at closer ranges (rats in chicken sheds, birds/squirrels in the woods) but, I'm still happier knowing that I have a faster pellet with a flatter trajectory.

For what you're after, I reckon a .177 with hobbys will put a nice hole in a rat but, a lead diablo from a .22 will give them a nice heavy slap.

Either way, good luck with your choice :thumbs:

I used to take the occasional rabbit with this years ago. It was a very task specific tool though . Only used at a particular location that was semi-derelict industrial land. In parts heavily overgrown with thick gorse and bramble but with a very healthy rabbit population. An ideal place to let the dogs run off a bit steam..

All the planets had to be in alignment when a rabbit hoped out of cover. Most importantly I needed to be 100% sure of the location of the dogs so that there was no danger of them running in. Usually the rabbit that showed would not be the one that the dogs were hunting and be well ahead of them. Secondly, the rabbit needed to display incredibly stupid behaviour by stopping even though it was well aware of my presence and allow me to take the shot. Believe it or not this used to happen, hence having the HW45 in my "pocket".

Not something that I would do now. Even though I had made a point of befriending the lone security guard who sometimes accompanied me and enjoyed watching the dogs work I did not have permission from the land owner. Trespass with a firearm would be the charge today, as it was then, but more forgiving times then. Even the occasional police patrols ignored me. Very different times indeed. Not recommended today.

Secondly, even though the ranges were almost spitting distance I do not possess  the skills now to guarantee correct shot placement. That can only came with regular practice and I have not fired that, or any pistol for 20 odd years.

But at very close range the HW45 would put a pellet clean through a rabbits head. I never wounded. But if that had happened the terriers would of prevented an injured animal escaping and suffering.

The 2 most important rules, be legal and respect your quarry.

IMG_2078.JPG

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes it was me that got banned on the airgun forum for pistol shooting rabbits.

They thought it gives the wrong image and thought I was doing it to flame them.

I made it clear that it was a special little area that when the cover is just right I can get very very close.

Funny thing is photos of catapult kills were no problem!

For the record, I am nothing special.

I remember when we were trusted with real revolvers and pistols.

I lament that we cannot hunt with pistols that use powder of any type.

To pit my wit's and pick my shots with a pistol makes for a change. It makes for a good stalk more than fuels any misconception in a person's ability with a pistol, in fact it will humble anyone before it inflates their ego.

Regards calibre I have used 17&22 and there is nothing in it except with co2 22 is easier to get the power needed over 177.

Shot 1377 for a while and it was brilliant once the trigger was improved.

Never got on with the hw45! They are good but I could not use it.

The 2240 was ok but I felt it was worse than the 1377.

The brocock atomic was good too.

The SMK cp1 is very good.

I am tempted by the electro or the zociri thing.

What I would like is a decent springer I can shoot well but have not found one yet.

Ud.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 5
11 hours ago, villaman said:

Underdog ,you are not the only one who got banned .

That forum treats the members like twats and when you react like a twat you get banned , they lose  in the end 

Shame really, there is some good lads on there.

U.