Air pistol hunting

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know each forum has it's own rules, so, we abide by those rules or don't use the forum - fair enough. The pm thing sounds sneaky though.   There are some very good forums - a few of the bi

I used to take the occasional rabbit with this years ago. It was a very task specific tool though . Only used at a particular location that was semi-derelict industrial land. In parts heavily overgrow

Yes it was me that got banned on the airgun forum for pistol shooting rabbits.   They thought it gives the wrong image and thought I was doing it to flame them. I made it clear that it

Posted Images

Yes they worked for every other generation within their capability  in days gone by, why not Today?   Or is that just one more thing to be erased from history in Today's World? 

Used professionally every day in London and all around the Country for pest control.  So Yes it can and will do the job as other Air Weapons can and do within their capability. In just my opinion that is.

All the very best for one and all

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I have been thinking of something similar for shooting tree rats off branches,you know when they just run up to a low oak branch and sit there scolding you,

i did wonder about a crosman 1377 or ratcatcher,

also for dispatching cage trapped rats in the back garden.

what pistols have you been considering moxy.

For me it would be the old webley range. Either the hurricane or the tempest which I do use for dispatching cage trapped rats and squirrels. 

The HW45 or BSA scorpion are serious contenders although the BSA isn't looker, I knocked down some gear with one as a kid.

i think there has to be serious consideration taken when looking at some of the co2 and gas ram types

A lot are shite with poor output. I have a Beeman here which my lads use for plinking in the garden. It would barely put a  hole in a rice crispy let alone flatten something living.

I do believe a member on here was booted from another forum for sharing pictures of his pistol hunting exploits. 

Although perfectly legal, ethically it's frowned upon by some. 

1 hour ago, moxy said:

For me it would be the old webley range. Either the hurricane or the tempest which I do use for dispatching cage trapped rats and squirrels. 

The HW45 or BSA scorpion are serious contenders although the BSA isn't looker, I knocked down some gear with one as a kid.

i think there has to be serious consideration taken when looking at some of the co2 and gas ram types

A lot are shite with poor output. I have a Beeman here which my lads use for plinking in the garden. It would barely put a  hole in a rice crispy let alone flatten something living.

I do believe a member on here was booted from another forum for sharing pictures of his pistol hunting exploits. 

I’ve shot a large rat with my Webley senior .22, I was sat in my truck and the rat was just a few yards away on an embankment. Hit it at the back of the head low down and it went with a shudder. Also shot a pigeon many years ago with the Webley. It took off, flew around in a circle and fell at my feet, dead as a dodo. That shot hit the bird in the breast and entered the heart/lung area. Testing the same pistol on a dead squirrel, I found that I could strike three hits on its head at about ten yards, but the pellets had merely stuck in its scalp, not breaking the skull. Probably would have killed it though,had it been alive when I shot it. So,as for shooting vermin, the Webley is marginal. I reckon you need very close to the full 6ft lbs to do the job even at close range. And of course, hitting the right spot is above all, the most important thing to consider here. Just my opinion though. I also have a Webley tempest .177 but the .22 senior is definitely harder hitting than the tempest.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, moxy said:

There used to be some decent USA squirrel vids on YouTube.

3 hours ago, moxy said:

Yes, that was Underdog on AGF - a few members roasted him because he took a couple of rabbits at close range with a pistol.

10 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Yes, that was Underdog on AGF - a few members roasted him because he took a couple of rabbits at close range with a pistol.

I know pal ?

Without getting into an interforum bitching session. What was the problem? 

No laws were broken 

2 minutes ago, moxy said:

I know pal ?

Without getting into an interforum bitching session. What was the problem? 

No laws were broken 

No worries mate - that sort of carry on doesn't interest me either :thumbs:

I got the impression that a couple of the more self righteous members took exception with the way Underdog likes to try new things and test his abilities.

......... because they didn't like it, it's not right.

As I say, it wasn't the forum, just some of the members.

• Like 1

Thought as much. 

Ive been sat on this for a while. Well since UD got booted and I received a PM questioning if this forum allows such images and topics to be shown. 

Its legal so why not. Certainly not cause for banning someone. 

I can see the thought though. Some folk couldn't shoot a rabbit at point blank with a rifle. Let alone a pistol. 

2 minutes ago, moxy said:

Thought as much. 

Ive been sat on this for a while. Well since UD got booted and I received a PM questioning if this forum allows such images and topics to be shown. 

Its legal so why not. Certainly not cause for banning someone. 

I can see the thought though. Some folk couldn't shoot a rabbit at point blank with a rifle. Let alone a pistol. 

I know each forum has it's own rules, so, we abide by those rules or don't use the forum - fair enough. The pm thing sounds sneaky though.

There are some very good forums - a few of the bigger ones have a mixture of competition shooters and hunters ..... there seems to be a funny ol' divide between certain shooters sometimes where different sorts don't agree with others.

Indeed, I know a couple of target shooters that don't agree with hunting and, I know a chap who owns rifles and shotguns that thinks I have no business shooting animals with my 'toys'.

I like this forum because it's a hunting forum - I get to read about everything from dogs to catapults.

Also, some of the characters and comments on here would have seen instant bans elsewhere but, they've had me absolutely pissing myself - I hope that never changes.

For what it's worth to those on other forums, I've yet to see anyone on here advocate anything other than a swift clean kill :thumbs:

• Like 6