Air pistol hunting

A frowned upon topic by some but let's have it. 

In the right hands are air pistols a suitable tool for the job? 

Are they fit for purpose for shooting live quarry at distance or should they be kept for dispatching cage trapped pests.

Are some better than some?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know each forum has it's own rules, so, we abide by those rules or don't use the forum - fair enough. The pm thing sounds sneaky though.   There are some very good forums - a few of the bi

I used to take the occasional rabbit with this years ago. It was a very task specific tool though . Only used at a particular location that was semi-derelict industrial land. In parts heavily overgrow

Yes it was me that got banned on the airgun forum for pistol shooting rabbits.   They thought it gives the wrong image and thought I was doing it to flame them. I made it clear that it

Posted Images

I hear a lot of good things being said of the HW 44. ( mini HW 110)

Personally, pistol hunting is not my cup of tea but hey, why not ? The challenge sounds awesome.

In the right hands I think the 44 would make a hunting pistol.

Distance shooting with just 5 ft/lbs at the muzzle ?

At a guess 20 yds/ 25 yds max`( head shot only )

My mates at the club say the 44 is capable of this ?

:hmm:

• Like 2

Personally for me I think dispatching small game is their forte rather than hunting for them although I did see a magpie dropped clean with a headshot from a beeman p17 in .177 from my pals conservatory at about 13 yards at a guess.

Not a shot I would have taken but he reckons he does rats at close range with it and was happy it was up to the job. 3 and a half ftlb at the muzzle isn't a lot though!

If someone is practiced enough and has the skill to do it, sure, why not.

Personally, I'm happier and more confident with a rifle :yes:

I've no doubt that this would be more than capable at 15ish yrds - Zasdar PP700sa. It produces 5.6ftlb at the muzzle.

....... I may hunt with it one day but, I need more practice first.

IMG_20171020_114530.jpg

IMG_20171112_095742.jpg

• Like 1

I have been thinking of something similar for shooting tree rats off branches,you know when they just run up to a low oak branch and sit there scolding you,

i did wonder about a crosman 1377 or ratcatcher,

also for dispatching cage trapped rats in the back garden.

what pistols have you been considering moxy.

10 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I have been thinking of something similar for shooting tree rats off branches,you know when they just run up to a low oak branch and sit there scolding you,

i did wonder about a crosman 1377 or ratcatcher,

also for dispatching cage trapped rats in the back garden.

what pistols have you been considering moxy.

Have a look at that PP700sa mate - it's a PCP pistol and, the whole set up was less than £250 :thumbs:

Just now, Rimfireboy! said:

How many shots per charge do you get Jon?

Around 30 shots gives full use of the green band from 22 down to 7 mpa (220 to 70 bar).

I haven't done a full chrono string yet but, it's pretty good on target through that range.

IMG_20171021_083730.jpg

There are a few guys on another forum who use the P700 for ratting on a regular basis not because it is anyway better than the rifle but simply as something a bit different. One of the has fitted a mod and extension stock a bit like a crossman ratcatcher.