Pirlo, worthy of a mention

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Andrea Pirlo retired this week, I just thought the retirement of such a great player was worthy of a mention. Probably one of the greatest examples of how football is played with your brain as mu

Paul Scholes is the best example of a player and midfielder ever....period ! 

I’ll stick my neck out here and say the 98 World Cup was a pivotal moment for football.....so many good players, so many good teams showing just what can be achieved if you get the youth systems right

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

As for the player I'm alluding to, 

for the life of me, I'll never ever understand why Steven gerrard and frank lampard were the fulcrum of the England side when the greatest player of that generation was sat in Oldham looking at his league titles ...

Stupid managers shifting him out of position 

• Like 1

I was always a bit gutted that hoddle got sacked , of all the mangers I think he would have been the one to say 

" you know what? f**k the sun readers and let's build the team around scholes for a year" 

sadly we never have the strength in depth to do this, but to have him in a free role with a disciplined player Like lampard / car Rick/ Barry holding would we have done any worse? 

Who knows? 

The crying shame for England is that when we are blessed with a player Like paul scholes or god forbid an Andrea pirlo, we just didn't or wouldn't know what to do with them! 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I was always a bit gutted that hoddle got sacked , of all the mangers I think he would have been the one to say 

" you know what? f**k the sun readers and let's build the team around scholes for a year" 

sadly we never have the strength in depth to do this, but to have him in a free role with a disciplined player Like lampard / car Rick/ Barry holding would we have done any worse? 

Who knows? 

The crying shame for England is that when we are blessed with a player Like paul scholes or god forbid an Andrea pirlo, we just didn't or wouldn't know what to do with them! 

Always the way with England.  Always something stupid around the team.  Kane on corner for example . 

I still genuinely cannot understand why Hoddle was fired.For expressing unconventional views?  I thought his opinions on reincarnation and punishment were barking too. But WTF had his non footballing opinions got to do with his job? I'm bewildered. 

• Like 1

I agree. I rate Mourinho as a manager but he always buys for the present time and for himself, he has no interest in a clubs future or any youth players coming through. He buys the latest stars, wins a few trophies and fks off to the next club.

I hate to blow hot air up players arses but Loftus-Cheek looked fantastic against Germany the other night. Be nice to see him flourish.

• Like 2

Winners don't think long term 

Jose is perfect for a team needing success quickly, look at his record! 

Ironically he does nothing special, just increases the fitness and the rest works itself out , he has that Indian sign and other teams are intimidated by him, would he be as effective at stoke? 

Probs not 

but he'll never go anywhere less than a top side 

believe me no one hates united more than me but my 3 favourite players ever are Keane, scholes and the incomparable cristiano ronaldo 

36 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Winners don't think long term 

Jose is perfect for a team needing success quickly, look at his record! 

Ironically he does nothing special, just increases the fitness and the rest works itself out , he has that Indian sign and other teams are intimidated by him, would he be as effective at stoke? 

Probs not 

but he'll never go anywhere less than a top side 

believe me no one hates united more than me but my 3 favourite players ever are Keane, scholes and the incomparable cristiano ronaldo 

Right here’s one for you.......would you have C Ronaldo, THE proper Ronaldo or Berkamp ? 

Personally, Christiano Renaldo would not even be on the bench in my all time top team.

Edited by WILF

My dream team off the top of my head would line up something like this:

Nuer/Zoff

Zanetti     Keown/Stam/Blanc   Maldini/Carlos

Beckham. Scholes/Keane/Vieira. Giggs

Bergkamp/Di Canio/Maradona

THE Ronaldo/Batistuta/Ole Gunner Solskear  

• Like 1

I don't mean to undermine anyone. But how anyone could not put Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi in the best Xl is beyond me. It's easy to look back with rose tinted glasses but in generations ahead I think they'll look back at them two players and not believe what they've achieved, I think they take the edge off each other because they're both so good, no one else gets near them.

I'm too young to have seen all the older players but from what I've seen my best Xl would be-

Buffon

Carlos, Nesta, Cannavaro, Thuram

C.Ronaldo, Scholes, Zidane, Giggs

Messi, Henry.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I don't mean to undermine anyone. But how anyone could not put Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi in the best Xl is beyond me. It's easy to look back with rose tinted glasses but in generations ahead I think they'll look back at them two players and not believe what they've achieved, I think they take the edge off each other because they're both so good, no one else gets near them.

I'm too young to have seen all the older players but from what I've seen my best Xl would be-

Buffon

Carlos, Nesta, Cannavaro, Thuram

C.Ronaldo, Scholes, Zidane, Giggs

Messi, Henry.

Good calls there mate, I like it.

Like anything football and how it should be played/players you rate is a personal thing.

However much I watch Christiano I just can not bring myself to see what all the fuss is about.

I think his attitude is very questionable and to me, attitude is everything in football.

As Stiffmiester said, funny how people see different thing.

What I do think is true is that modern rules and refereeing allow mediocre players to look very good.