Pirlo, worthy of a mention

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Andrea Pirlo retired this week, I just thought the retirement of such a great player was worthy of a mention. Probably one of the greatest examples of how football is played with your brain as mu

Paul Scholes is the best example of a player and midfielder ever....period ! 

I’ll stick my neck out here and say the 98 World Cup was a pivotal moment for football.....so many good players, so many good teams showing just what can be achieved if you get the youth systems right

18 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Respect to all hold carriers. Super fit blokes. Not a job to have when you are hungover.

Not the job to have when you have a short fuse for idiots and you get placed with 3 of them laying bricks who think it’s clever to “beast” the hoddy........apparently trying to cut their heads off with a shovel is against site regulations ! :laugh:

Must be p

3 minutes ago, WILF said:

Not the job to have when you have a short fuse for idiots and you get placed with 3 of them laying bricks who think it’s clever to “beast” the hoddy........apparently trying to cut their heads off with a shovel is against site regulations ! :laugh:

Must be poofy southern sites them mate.:p

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, WILF said:

You toughen up quick on the hod. I often enjoyed it in a perverse kind of way, especially when a gang was trying to break you! I've seen at least 2 hod carriers reduced to sobbing their eyes out & dozens of new starts walk off site before first break...:laugh:

I saw that experience as invaluable, because whatever jobs I had after hod carrying I knew no matter how bad they got, it could always be worse!  :laugh:

Edited by Accip74
  • Thanks 1

You meet some characters on building sites. The number of guys that would turn up, work three days, ask for a sub and you never saw them again! Really chaotic existence, living like that. I've worked with guys that would stop working as soon as the foreman's back was turned. I mean just stop and do nothing. They had to be supervised the whole time. Remember a guy that wasn't happy with his wages and turned three lorries on their sides as revenge. And the Irish, f**k me they can be somewhat different... shall we say. Worked with a group of Irish lads, really serious catholics.  When they hit the drink they went ape shit.Went out on a night with them, they were a serious liability. There's a lyric from Springsteen: "Some go looking for trouble/some go looking to get hurt". That was them. Sunday morning they were all at church with hangovers and black eyes.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

You meet some characters on building sites. The number of guys that would turn up, work three days, ask for a sub and you never saw them again! Really chaotic existence, living like that. I've worked with guys that would stop working as soon as the foreman's back was turned. I mean just stop and do nothing. They had to be supervised the whole time. Remember a guy that wasn't happy with his wages and turned three lorries on their sides as revenge. And the Irish, f**k me they can be somewhat different... shall we say. Worked with a group of Irish lads, really serious catholics.  When they hit the drink they went ape shit.Went out on a night with them, they were a serious liability. There's a lyric from Springsteen: "Some go looking for trouble/some go looking to get hurt". That was them. Sunday morning they were all at church with hangovers and black eyes.

I know lads that have built whole houses just from bunging the forklift driver or sub agent a few quid  :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

I know lads that have built whole houses just from bunging the forklift driver or sub agent a few quid  :laugh:

The thieving was brilliant. Mate of mine used to drive a lorry. He was paid to take soil/rubble away, so much per load. He used to go round and round all day with the same load to save time dumping it. Used to bung the tally man to change the weight a bit so it didn't look too obvious.

The foreman saw all the materials as 'for sale'. I used to make a few bob selling anything I could to the lorry drivers. They all had shopping lists. Used to bung the foreman a few bob for putting us down for overtime which we spent in the pub. I once spent all Sunday in the pub on double time.:toast: f****n great days.

• Haha 1

I remember a young bloke that was a fork driver and all of the subies were bunging him to move their materials. He was on about 5 times his wages in bungs. And another fork that was moving pallets of bricks off of site and down the road outside his house. The neighbours thought that he was building an extension or something. In reality he was advertising them in the local paper. He got caught out when he accidently dropped the keys of the forklift down the road drain and called a fitter from the plant hire firm out. The fitter turned up on site to get the machine going only for the bloke to take him down the road to his house. the fitter smelt a rat and told the site agent who told the contracts manager who called in the plod. It took about two days to get all of the pallets of bricks back to the site. There were so many bricks over that lorry loads were shipped off to another site. No one had noticed the quantities of materials that were being ordered. And another job where the contracts manager had the brickies working on other big jobs of his. He got caught out when his Mrs found out that he had been playing away and tipped off the company MD. The contracts manager was called in on the Sunday morning and summary dismissed, car keys removed and the plod called in. The blokes Mrs chucked all of his stuff out. Big fall to the gutter.

• Like 1

youve got me all nostalgic boys, 

i was barely 10 / 11 when this came out, I remember watching the first game shown on it, a three all draw between lazio and Parma I think . 

To me it was amazing, the exotic shirts of sampdoria , Roma and inter Milan. When I think of it now all I remember is 1 nil wins and nil nil draws played out in outdated stadiums, eighties architecture for the 90 World Cup, rainy stormy midweek games and end of season games with nothing to win played in Brescia, Atlanta and the other small sides 

and the players, 

gianlugi lentini , 13 m centre half Milan bought from Torino in a time when the transfer record in uk was 2.7 million for dean Saunders from Liverpool to villa 

donadoni

the super heroes in the Milan side of rikjaard, guillit, van hasten and jean pierre Papin 

the pantomime villains of inter led by darko panchev 

David platt , playing better than anyone in England for Bari , sampdoria and juve 

lombardo in the royal blue of sampdoria

Being completely underwhelmed by gascoigne at lazio but amazed by the fantastically ugly and skilful Giuseppe signori 

seeing players like Veron, winters, davids, del Pierro, Baggio, kluivert emerging and baresi , del Pierro , Baggio eventually  wane in they're careers 

There was also a young lad at my adopted Italian team Roma who was starting out who turned out not too bad either! 

Argh, jumpers for goalposts eh? 

Still easily the worlds greatest game 

• Like 2