Pirlo, worthy of a mention

Yes I agree it's a personal thing as much as anything. BUT despite what we like to see on a pitch, for example players like Rui Costa, Edgar Davids, Rivaldo on their day were fantastic to watch. But for a full career being at the top and winning trophies along the way is what defines the best of the best and keeps them in your memory.

Edited to add, players like the first Ronaldo, Micheal Owen etc could have been classics but they peaked too early and fell by the wayside with injuries etc, that's what makes Ronaldo and Messi so remarkable IMO.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Andrea Pirlo retired this week, I just thought the retirement of such a great player was worthy of a mention. Probably one of the greatest examples of how football is played with your brain as mu

Paul Scholes is the best example of a player and midfielder ever....period ! 

I’ll stick my neck out here and say the 98 World Cup was a pivotal moment for football.....so many good players, so many good teams showing just what can be achieved if you get the youth systems right

Ronaldo was the best centre forward I personally have ever seen.

His running off the ball was class and with the ball at his feet he was as fast and strong as you will see......not bad for a fat lad.

And he did it in Holland, Spain, Italy and on the international stage.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jukel123 said:
  • There's a guy by the name of Bobby Moore that a certain gentleman forgot. The man was majestic. Anybody think Ruud Van Nistelroy was world Class?

As much as Bobby More holds a place in the heart of every West Ham and England fan the fact is they just could not have coped the last 25 years.......f**k me, they were at the full English over the cafe match day mornings!!

Bonzo was second to none in keeping himself in shape and did so well into his 40s.

Van Nistleroy was class, but is he up there with the great No.10s.......I don’t think so.

• Like 1

I think how cristiano  Ronaldo looks puts people off him where as in reality he works harder and longer than anyone else in football , that's a fact , he's taken his genetics and worked his arse off to improve constantly . 

Additionally he's not only a great player , but a great human, look at his charity work, he batted off 5 million To the Nepalese earthquake fund  without even a second thought , what a guy 

mine would probably be a mixture of two 

one for serious ness

buffon 

carlos Ferdinand Ramos cole 

beckham gattuso scholes bale

ronaldo Henry 

you could make a decent united Chelsea or arsenal team from the prem era , Keane , petit, viera, drogba , overmars, r v n , van persie, bergkamp who'd be a struggle for anyone 

and one for my guilty pleasures 

Van der Saar 

maldini puyol heinze

lambert

laudrup hagi   stoichkov overmars

romario batistuta 

on the bench, 

inzaghi 

enzo scifo

del pierro

• Like 1

I'd also argue about rvn being world class 

at times, he was absolutely unplayable , I think one of his best games was at basle in the champions league 

they were a decent side and gave unite real stick but he popped up late and knocked two in he had no right to even get to, 

if I remember right he was a prick to Ronaldo at united and fergie shifted him on asap 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I think how cristiano  Ronaldo looks puts people off him where as in reality he works harder and longer than anyone else in football , that's a fact , he's taken his genetics and worked his arse off to improve constantly . 

Additionally he's not only a great player , but a great human, look at his charity work, he batted off 5 million To the Nepalese earthquake fund  without even a second thought , what a guy 

mine would probably be a mixture of two 

one for serious ness

buffon 

carlos Ferdinand Ramos cole 

beckham gattuso scholes bale

ronaldo Henry 

you could make a decent united Chelsea or arsenal team from the prem era , Keane , petit, viera, drogba , overmars, r v n , van persie, bergkamp who'd be a struggle for anyone 

and one for my guilty pleasures 

Van der Saar 

maldini puyol heinze

lambert

laudrup hagi   stoichkov overmars

romario batistuta 

on the bench, 

inzaghi 

enzo scifo

del pierro

Which Inzaghi?.......not that spoilt little prat that was offside 99% of his playing career ? Lol 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Behave !!! 

If george best was world class what does that make dalgliesh and souness? 

Well I think he was. You c**ts are ganging up on me so I'm taking my ball inside. :p Play by yourselves.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2

Again , le tissier was a conundrum, apparently he wouldn't leave Southampton, he liked it there, but what did he really achieve? 

All well and good being a legend in a small team, but he can't really be judged except his amazing goals, also had the tendency to drift in games for extended runs at a time 

but , as again, England never really used him as another country might have , arguably sheringham was more productive .

sutton was another I always felt underused by the national side, esp. when Heskey was out of sorts.