Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

Siegfried Sassoon

IMG_1225.JPG

Edited by pesky1972
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Great grandad was killed in the first month on the war along with 5000 others... Classed as missing in action at the time

He was the post master in a Northumberland village he was repaid by having his wife and seven kids kicked out onto the street and any money stopped as he was Mia

Always remember my grandmother telling me about my greatgrandfather who on returning from the battle of the some with a bad shoulder injury who was then beaten up badly by two of earlfitzwilliams gamekeepers for poaching a few rabbits some time after made me realise some things never change.Those who have fought for their country but now find themselves on the streets is one that comes to mind.

Edited by tatsblisters
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, jacknife said:

Great grandad was killed in the first month on the war along with 5000 others... Classed as missing in action at the time

He was the post master in a Northumberland village he was repaid by having his wife and seven kids kicked out onto the street and any money stopped as he was Mia

Thats my major thing with this place,ee got eastern European s,young unemployed lads,govt spending on the most insane studies,inquirys,etc,,,yet war heroes get badly treated.at least the nepali familys got some good outcome

I sympathise as much with recent war victims equally as those from the WW1 era.  That said, I remember growing up as a child in the 60's in Brum and my lovely old next door neighbour telling me how lucky she'd been to find a man to marry and have a family with, as her sister and some friends never did as there weren't many men left from her age group..Food for thought.