road bowling anyone

Haha, that's a blast from the past Jigsaw.

Great sport and still very popular around Cork, Armagh and other small pockets around the country. They used to even play it around Dagenham, when Cork lads were working in Fords.

Some lunatics used to play and attend the scores, you wouldn't get them in a lucky bag, haha.

Some big money gambled both on the stake and on the road. I often saw thousands on a stake for the big scores and the same gambled on the road. And that was when a pound was a pound. They always started and finished scores at a pub, which was very handy for the alcoholic gamblers, haha.

Plenty of good bowlers up your side of the city Jigsaw as you well know, including a famous terrierman who was handy at it.

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

Haha, that's a blast from the past Jigsaw.

Great sport and still very popular around Cork, Armagh and other small pockets around the country. They used to even play it around Dagenham, when Cork lads were working in Fords.

Some lunatics used to play and attend the scores, you wouldn't get them in a lucky bag, haha.

Some big money gambled both on the stake and on the road. I often saw thousands on a stake for the big scores and the same gambled on the road. And that was when a pound was a pound. They always started and finished scores at a pub, which was very handy for the alcoholic gamblers, haha.

Plenty of good bowlers up your side of the city Jigsaw as you well know, including a famous terrierman who was handy at it.

Sssshhh!!!! He comes on here I believe at times lol..handy is an understatement Rebel, Vincy Skully ring any bells with ye

3 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Sssshhh!!!! He comes on here I believe at times lol..handy is an understatement Rebel, Vincy Skully ring any bells with ye

Denis Scully, I saw him bowl and saw him  trying to loft the viaduct in 1984 with a 16 ounce bowl as part of the Cork 800 celebrations. Mick Barry was there the same day he hit the steel on the viaduct but never lofted it. There was a load of Dutch and Germans bowlers, they play a version of it. They were big strong men and they couldn't loft it. You couldn't do it now there were thousands there and the bowls falling from the sky, I don't know how someone wasn't killed.

• Like 1

Dennis scully was my next door neighbour,,,nice man and his wife and son still here,great people,,we were blessed to be born on the northside Rebel........oh wait your a SORRY....not  NORRIE lol...your still a great ambassador for the Rebel county,,,and top stud  too,:rofl:

Edited by jigsaw
2 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Dennis scully was my next door neighbour,,,nice man and his wife and son still here,great people,,we were blessed to be born on the northside Rebel........oh wait your a SORRY....not  NORRIE lol...your still a great ambassador for the Rebel county,,,and top stud  too,:rofl:

Sure there was only ever good things came from the northside, bowlers hurlers, boxers, soccer stars, pigeon and bird men, terrier, lurcher and hound men

If you don't believe me just ask any northsider, if you have half a day to spare, and the perseverance and patience of a saint. Northsiders are the  undefeated olympic and world  champions at talking and giving their opinions, haha.