Bloody mixy

2 hours ago, The one said:

I used to flatten every rabbit with even the slightest  sign of myxi  but now its worth leaving them to see if they survive 

If you don't mind me asking... how do you know it's the same rabbit that you saw previously then? :) 

Normally me perms are kinda enclosed so I don't see much of it, but it has took hold the last two winters and to be honest, not much survives. Which is a shame. But I guess that's the purpose of it. 

You dont but my theory before was get a permission hit it hard flatten it  move on to more permission , as there comes a time you have so much permission you cant honestly cover it all . Then some are happy to see a odd rabbit , some are happy to have the place hit 4 times a year keeping levels manageable  others want ever rabbit killed , 

A couple of years ago it was like a military operation on my days off you would organise a day out with two pals and whatever the weather you went two teams of two ferreting hard etc now with less rabbits my son and i can get days out and its easier more enjoy able . Lamping used to piss me off the rabbits turned it into another night shift operation now  its a fun couple of hours and as long as the farmers no moaning about seeing a odd myxi rabbit what harm are they  doing they probably feed the foxes or crows .

Now days i only have one plan get enough in the freezers to feed the 12 ferrets all summer with out putting my hand in my pocket 

• Like 2

Good plan ,been on all nighters with a friend who controls for a "public concern" and they want nothing left so its constant graft for him as i believe the little varmints "breed like rabbits" :rofl:and dont follow his plans or the companys rules :whistling:

Had one one day run up to me and rub its head on my boot

hardest rabbit iv had to shoot scabs all over its eyes blind totally blind

it gutted me for a long time that one .

That was it for that day packed up and went home ,,,,still think about it some times ,,,,,AND THEY CALL US ANIMALS .

ATVBJIMMY:sorry::sorry::sorry:

• Like 1

Mixi is nothing like it was when it first came out  , to start with it was 99.9% lethal . It was an awful sight in  every field around us there were hundreds  just sat out if you walked up to them the would walk away if they could then bump into some thing , in 56 i went with my Grandfather  on is moterbike and sidecar to a place in Charnwood forest, the road was called The Warren Hills  Lane  and it was covered in dead and dying rabbits  and you could not miss them me and my sister were in the sidecar and it never stopped bouncing , it was a sight , and sensation that i have never forgotten .

Had similar at Eggington back in the 90.s a warren covered about 150 yards and when it came the rabbits were in a right mess ,and the bodies where everywhere .Not a pleasant scene for anyone.Same as Mac putting the dying  out of their misery was unpleasant to say the least .Nasty things humans inventing things like this

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Had similar at Eggington back in the 90.s a warren covered about 150 yards and when it came the rabbits were in a right mess ,and the bodies where everywhere .Not a pleasant scene for anyone.Same as Mac putting the dying  out of their misery was unpleasant to say the least .Nasty things humans inventing things like this

The disease  has always been there it was not invented , the scientists  devised a way of spreading it 

Had great times no regretting any of it running a couple of snare lines out 100 /150 wires set 50 fen mk6 at another  farm check them and away ferreting , had a guy over from the isle of man for a weekends ferreting had a ball, one small holder asked how many wires you got on the bottom fence i said couple of hundred she said closer to 600 and you've more on the top fence pissed me off as she was walking them felt she was checking up on me took a pile of rabbits she called me back 6 weeks later said it was nearly as bad :laugh:.

Older and calmer now injuries picked up take longer to heal i can remember the good years 60s , 70s 80s due to myxi , rhd  don't think we will see the rabbit back in those numbers there's still good patches but if you flatten them they never seem to recover where as years ago they would of bounced back 

I remember 2 years ago we took on a new permission ferreted it hard took 3,000 rabbits off of four field that season  the farmer followed us round with a manitou ? with a mesh bucket and filled in all the holes any that opened up where ferreted again  despite the surrounding coastal walk being like swiss cheese last week we took 6 rabbits off those field on the slopes the machine couldn't reach Mans being trying to kill off the humble rabbit since the start of time maybe now we are succeeding i cant ever see there being  closed season on the rabbit  but i really think we've seen the glory years