Bloody mixy

Well the weather was stunning this afternoon after the lashing we got here last night and this morning so off I went to a perm I'd visited last week and had a mixy rabbit and Maggie from.

As soon as I pulled up there was two rabbits not bothered about me about 25 yards out so I hopped out of the van,  checked through the scope and sure enough....riddled with mixy, so the r10 put them to sleep..........followed by another 5, all with medium to late stages of mixy. No pics of the infected as we all know how shitty they look but while waiting for some Maggie's to come in I did manage to grab a long range pic of this little fellow. It is a red squirrel but a very dark one and quite a size compared to some others I've seen down there. I took it on the phone at full zoom so it's pretty grainy but you can make him out ???

20171107_192528.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The one said:

Normally get a touch of myxi late aug / sept when its still warm been frosty here the last few days so might of seen the last of it 

That sounds about right pal. We've not had a frost yet. Maybe tonight though. It's bloody clear and still now.

To be fair Matt, it doesn't sound like you had a bad trip out mate.

......... You managed to put a few rabbits out of their misery and, hopefully help reduce the spread of mixy a little.

And, of course, seeing a red squirrel in the flesh is a big bonus :good:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, just-A-snap said:

Just surprised that one would be surprised at finding it.

All the very best

Not so much at finding, more the extent of it on this  particular perm. It's always had a bit now and then but all over is a new one at this time of year?

Such a shame - Almost seems to be an annual event that I start thinking I have the rabbits a good seeing to only to find I’m a few weeks too late and mixi has done it for me.

Lucky enough to back onto permission of open fields behind my house,  got this fella a couple of days ago with the HW100 with the early signs of it.

C175DCBC-509B-463D-B9D3-0B2026A0EEF8.thumb.jpeg.eeea176db943cb82c3bbcfe751c73c7f.jpeg

one thing I’d always say about rabbits is don’t go too easy on them thinking you’ll preserve sport for another day. Either you’ll get them, someone else will... or mixi will come and do your job for you!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Yokel Matt said:

Such a shame - Almost seems to be an annual event that I start thinking I have the rabbits a good seeing to only to find I’m a few weeks too late and mixi has done it for me.

Lucky enough to back onto permission of open fields behind my house,  got this fella a couple of days ago with the HW100 with the early signs of it.

C175DCBC-509B-463D-B9D3-0B2026A0EEF8.thumb.jpeg.eeea176db943cb82c3bbcfe751c73c7f.jpeg

one thing I’d always say about rabbits is don’t go too easy on them thinking you’ll preserve sport for another day. Either you’ll get them, someone else will... or mixi will come and do your job for you!

Very true that pal.

I've found keeping numbers down low keeps mixy at bay.  I'm currently trying to get the permission of the surrounding land at this perm as it's got lots of rabbit about. That might help a little....and get me more land to shoot on too??

• Like 1