my daughter has just started to imprint her own barl owl

j j m

olivia is 14 and was born around birds of prey,i fly and breed birds of prey and a few members on here have been to my house and have been impressed with the set ups livs has always liked the owls since being young so i said if you want to fly one you bring it up from 4 weeks old cleaning feeding the lot,she said no bother im really impressed with her the way she prepares the food and cleanes her knives bowls,and cleanes the owls sleeping quarters out in the living room up to 8 times a day,my eldest son has never been interested inbirds of prey,so im glad olivia is showing a intrest with her own bird

• Like 5

Sounds grand pal, bit heart warming hearing of young uns taking an interest in anything like this, hope she stays with it, or at very least takes some valuable lessons on in life from it.

A barn owl as well, one of my favourite.

i would love to have the knowledge and time to dedicate to keeping them.

thanks rabid the thing with taking on a your barn owl on this late in the yearis she has to keep it in doors and imprint it in a few weeks she will be put in a small mews during the day to get her hard used to the weather ,but brought back in at night then the training begins Olivia has been around birds for years and listens to what you tell her so she should do ok ,but I wont be far away if theres any problems,as you say the barn owl is a lovely little bird,ive 2 breeding pairs and never get sick of them

That’s brilliant mate, what’s she call it ?. I have two boys and neither are into “The Great Outdoors” but my 3 year old daughter loves ferrets , dogs chickens ect. I can’t go up to the Allotment without her tagging along lol. Is that all you breed now ( Owls)? I could have sworn I read somewhere you bred spars.

there not really that hard if you know what your doing ,or if you are new to it have a mentor to help you out,i got this one at 2 weeks but I have a incubater for heat, once they get to about 4 weeks old you can take then off heat and just bring them up in the house if your missus will let you they smell a lot when they bring pellets up and do ther business but so would you if your eating raw meat rats quail mice day old chicks pigeon,i like to give them a varied diet then if I cant get one certain food I have another at hand,its a lot of work when there young feeding cleaning and the white down feathers everywhere when there dropping off ,till they get there brown ones on wings and back,but its nice when you know you have imprinted the bird and the end result is when its flying free no better feeling mate,this will be olivias first bird and I'm proude of her she is not letting s,it and cleaning getting in her way of her task

Fair play, I had always presumed they would be a whole lot of work and need to spend many hours every day working with them.

My Mrs wouldnt mind them in the house one little bit,  think we had just over 100 turkeys and ducks in the lounge this year, until we had a shed free for them (day old chicks not strong enough to go straight out).

i have heat lamps and incubators, I probably have everything bar the knowledge, finding a mentor around here, that would be the hard part.

you dont need a mentor if you get the bird at about 6 weeks it will be off the heat bye then but will still need to be kept in doors till its fully feathered mate,theres loads of good vids on training barn owls on you tube mate creance training the lot,its all about weighted management to get them flying back to you