Crow shooting red letter day

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, sorry only replying now, haven't been on in a while. 

On 07/11/2017 at 20:38, David.evans said:

Just wished I could shoot half as good as you mate , great shooting as always , and a sound video 

do you shoot with both eyes open Ollie ,. I've started to try shooting that ways, but  can't hit a barn door , lol

atb mate 

I honestly can't tell you if I shoot with both eyes open or not, it's just natural so I don't consciously open both or close one. 

On 07/11/2017 at 21:03, Sound Moderator said:

I do hope that none of those pigeons were passing racers, some people devote lots of time and money in that sport. 

My best mates father has raced pigeons all his life told me before that racing pigeons do not decoy into fields, they fly on a straight course back home normally at a decent height. I can assure you all the birds were ferals.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2017 at 21:29, Sound Moderator said:

Not hard at all when you're actually supposed to be shooting & decoying crows

I don't go to a field with the intention of shooting crows or pigeons. Both are vermin, so I'll gladly shoot both given the opportunity.

This farm has a chip factory on it and the feral pigeons congregate around the factory sheds. They fly between this farm & another farm I have permission on and both farmers have asked me to shoot ferals around their sheds. 

On 10/11/2017 at 16:38, Navek said:

Did you actually watch the video ? He states there feral and some them birds were shot at a good range 30+ how do you know them feral weren't the high birds shot.my old man is a well known pigeon fancier and I shoot not far from where he flies his birds so I don't really like shooting feral in case there racers but at 25 yards coming in quick to a decoy then sory but if your saying you can jump up and see if a bird is wearing a ring at 25 yards your eyesight is amazing.ive been watching my dads birds come in after races and most the time I carnt tel the difference between his and the mans behind him until there on the landing board 

Yes you are quite right I shouldn't have to justify myself on the video, I stated they are ferals so why should anyone doubt me.

On 10/11/2017 at 17:05, jok said:

No didn't watch any video. I do know, as you obviously do as well, that a racer is hell bent on getting back to the loft. They fly in a straight line at a rapid rate of knots without any other thought other than getting home.,If a shooter can't tell the difference between a fluttering feral, a woodpigeon or a racer than perhaps he/she shouldn't be shooting. Just my humble opinion mind you and I've been among racers for a lot of years. Jok.

Thanks another person with common sense that can tell the difference between a feral & racer.

On 10/11/2017 at 18:20, Sound Moderator said:

His title reads "CROW" SHOOTING RED LETTER DAY if you neglected to read it Navek....My father was also one of the best national flyers this country has ever seen as clearly stated recently in the Homing world and he could tell the difference between a feral and a racer with a very keen well trained eye having spent countless hours watching the sky for his birds to hopefully get back home. Jok hit the nail on the head with what he said. Number one rule before taking any shot no matter what the quarry..."IF IN DOUBT DON'T TAKE THE SHOT" ! .....Simple as 

My title reads that because it was a red letter day at crows. I was hardly going to put the title as "crow shooting red letter day with ferals, magpie & a handful of woodies". If I was in doubt what the birds were I wouldn't take the shots, as I stated in one of my other comments this farm is full of ferals.

On 10/11/2017 at 21:50, The one said:

Nice going mate and as said a racer flies dead straight a woody or feral flies like a s on it back rising and falling 

Thanks fella.