French hunters spark national uproar for slaying stag in front garden

Frances turn...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/06/french-hunters-spark-national-uproar-slaying-stag-front-garden/

When asked to comment public reaction, Edouard Philippe, the French prime minister, said: "All this suggests a societal debate is needed on this type of hunting, which is increasingly raising concern in public opinion."

Good luck to our friends on the continent. Though it sounds like they are a political force to be reckoned with.

3 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

I'm a bit confused by that situation. Would it not of been best to walk away? Or were they asked to finish it there?

Speculating, I'd say the huntsman felt his hounds had done their job and that the hunt should be concluded. It doesn't sound like he gave much thought to public perception? Or possibly the legality.

and yet  , they wont allow  to hunt any animal with any type running dog, i know this as my brother lives in france, and he tells me there big in hunting  with hounds / guns wild boar etc, but he told me  what ive had and done over the years with lurchers , you have no chance   , it just  guns and scent hounds  and i think terrie work there not sure  think there a french  or a german  lad on here   does digging work , over there on badgers / foxes     i thought i seen the posts on here unless ive got  it wrong ,  lol 

1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

Speculating, I'd say the huntsman felt his hounds had done their job and that the hunt should be concluded. It doesn't sound like he gave much thought to public perception? Or possibly the legality.

Just seems a strange decision to make after obviously a period of time has lapsed, an audience & the police have arrived! Maybe the police thought it was best in the interest of public safety? Or am I being silly? I think I would been happy to walk away & avoid all that shite tbh..... 

• Like 2

Tbh i wouldn't be to happy if a load of hounds were running through my garden and someone discharging a rifle either outside my front door lol

Nothing against the actual hunt before i get lynched but come on resedential area  really?

• Like 1
Just now, Accip74 said:

Just seems a strange decision to make after obviously a period of time has lapsed, an audience & the police have arrived! Maybe the police thought it was best in the interest of public safety? Or am I being silly? I think I would been happy to walk away & avoid all that shite tbh..... 

I got the impression that the police were with the hunt anyway? I'd be lying if I said I had never thrown caution to the wind in the heat of it so I'll not be knocking the huntsman but at the same time I accept you are probably right. But perhaps they felt it was worse to leave the stag there as you say, better to get it done and be away?

Best outcome for public and the deer was for it to be dispatched out of view of the public .there was police presence there surely they could of sent all the onlookers up the street while the deer was dispatched.letting that stag out of that garden could of caused a big road traffic accident causing loss of live to innocent road users .safest thing was to dispatch it there and then but not in front of a huge crowd of crying anti,s 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I got the impression that the police were with the hunt anyway? I'd be lying if I said I had never thrown caution to the wind in the heat of it so I'll not be knocking the huntsman but at the same time I accept you are probably right. But perhaps they felt it was worse to leave the stag there as you say, better to get it done and be away?

I'm sure it's a rare incident though. The media will whip it up for a while, but it will soon be forgotten. Obviously it doesn't help that it's Paris!

Sounds to me like it was just another hunt but they were unlucky enough to have an anti nearby with a camera phone.

Hounds cross gardens regularly without incident and most folk love the sight. I remember a Stag being taken several years ago in the field beside my house and to me it was an honour to be there.

2 hours ago, neil cooney said:

Sounds to me like it was just another hunt but they were unlucky enough to have an anti nearby with a camera phone.

Hounds cross gardens regularly without incident and most folk love the sight. I remember a Stag being taken several years ago in the field beside my house and to me it was an honour to be there.

Did you actually watch the film neil? Haha.....

It wasnt a case of hounds just crossing some back gardens, In fact It said they didn't leave the wood. The stag was found taking refuge in the confines of private property in a street & apparently the owner didn't give permission for it to be shot? & I don't think I would of either. Does that make me an anti? When does a hunt cese being a hunt? I have no objection to what they've done, but in this day & age it would be niave to assume the locals were just looking on with glee & everyone appreciates a stag shot in the street! Common sense has to prevail, surely?

The local hunting syndicate do drives on the land behind my house & if I came home & found them in my garden in persuit of a hare that had gave them the slip I'd be telling them to fcuk off out of it! Haha.....

Edited by Accip74

It was France and they have a different mind set....luckly they don't have the media sensation around hunting that we do..... though I see this might be changing. Hounds took a stag in a supermarket car park a few years back and the press was positive in local media.... including a picture of a smiling store manager!

• Like 1

Ive been digging in a big public (townie) park in the middle of a city as joggers and strollers walk by, no eyelids batted. Stopped for a bit to eat and people bid you 'bon apetit'. Then the mayor comes by with a couple of bottles of wine for us! This is a city bear in mind! Have dug and hunted with quite a few different village mayors, gendarmes etc.

Yes, I concur France has a different mind set. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1