Braking a ferret to a terrier

JBL

Hi all, 

I can find info on braking a terrier to a ferret but what about the other way around? 

My terrier seems very happy to get on with my ferrets, or at least respects that I don't want him to snap them up, but the ferrets are less willing to be friendly. The Jills just try to stay out of his way but the hob will actually chase both my dogs (one I know wont get on with the ferrets anyway and is 9 years old) and constantly trys to bite their faces. 

Anybody have experiences with getting them used to dogs? 

I always  let my young ferrets play with my lurcher bitch who mothers them.Older ferrets usually get used to the dogs when they hunt with them,and get to know the dogs are there allies.I've had hobs who come out of warrens and savagely attack the dogs every time,these are rehomed to ferreters that don't use dogs.

• Like 1

It is a tricky one for sure. I have seen my old hob who is dead now chase my 26 inch lurcher around the yard. The dog did his best to get out the way but in the end started snarling over his shoulder and I got hold of the ferret sharpish before the dog did. My old jill on the other hand the dog will let her walk around his feet no problem as he trusts her. The two young hobs he don't trust and I don't let them mix. In the field all is well because he can get out the way 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. 

I think my hob may well be trying to play but he's young and will bite faces, including mine, but he's getting better. To him when my dog says hello he's just one big face. 

I have put a net stair gate across the doorway so both can see each other without getting bitten and my terrier has had a go back but they should get accustomed to each other. Then I think the milk and eggs or treats can start being used. Up until this week [BANNED TEXT] I got a bag of ferret food all my ferrets had eaten was whole rabbits and pigeons, duck eggs a few mice from my shed I cleared and minced beef. So is it ok for ferrets? Haven't tried milk so if its good yes both will probably just tuck in. 

Thanks for the replies and nice pictures 

8 hours ago, steg said:

Try a wee drop of milk together. Haven't kept dogs for a couple of years and ferrets for a few more but used to work for me. Found a couple of old photies..

20171107_082514.jpg

20171107_082608.jpg

2 hours ago, JBL said:

Thanks everyone. 

I think my hob may well be trying to play but he's young and will bite faces, including mine, but he's getting better. To him when my dog says hello he's just one big face. 

I have put a net stair gate across the doorway so both can see each other without getting bitten and my terrier has had a go back but they should get accustomed to each other. Then I think the milk and eggs or treats can start being used. Up until this week [BANNED TEXT] I got a bag of ferret food all my ferrets had eaten was whole rabbits and pigeons, duck eggs a few mice from my shed I cleared and minced beef. So is it ok for ferrets? Haven't tried milk so if its good yes both will probably just tuck in. 

Thanks for the replies and nice pictures 

Pugs love eggs and milk, it might work. But to be honest if hob is a kit then it's handle as much as possible you must get him out of bitting you first,  at end of the day it will get used to the dogs being around and as long as you tame him anufe all will be fine, my dogs play with my ferrets every day when I feed and clean them out. With time they should be fine, j

Ferrets are lactose intolerant apparently so don't over do the milk an egg would be better. STill amazes me i used to feed bread and milk as a kid just because the old fella said thats what you did. The poor sods no wonder they loved a rabbit when they got one 

• Like 1

My hob grabbed hold my mates terrier in weekend while ferreting .took me a while get him off .luckily I was close so managed to grab terrier collar so she couldn't kill it..the terrier will work all day long with any ferret but she will only stand been bit for so long then the terrier comes out of her and she will shake it like a rat 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's advise. For some reason I have had problems logging in and have dual accounts. I have had some pretty good results with the Jills, even with my older dog. He just can't handle the scent of the hob and wants to eat him, and the hob still hangs off my chin if I get my face too close

IMG_20171119_130820_857.jpg

IMG_20171119_125649.jpg

• Like 2

They might just be playing. I think the ferrets sense they can have more fun with my bulldog too. I often see them chewing on my wee bitches face and she takes it all in fun. The bulldog is all fun and carry on and they literally do be hanging off her face. My beddy whippet on the other hand would kill them if they even looked in her direction, or go near her kennel, or go near her food or water bowl. She works with them fine but has to be watched in the garden with them. She doesnt like any other animals touching her stuff.

• Like 1