Dan McDonough

Lurchers That Tree ???

No bud I meant baying like a hound on a scent. Hunting or running a line must be an English term I guess 

ive two lurcher bitches which are really good at catching squirrels ,they will mark trees and tell me if there is one in the tree or if ones been there , i find quite often they play dead up the tree ,i carry a catapult and have some great sport on them , the ones i get go straight into the ferrets hutch , very interesting post

I got you all now.  My lurchers don't make a sound on track.  Not even the whippet x Jagdterrier male.  I do have a stag x july hound that will open some but only when he's looking at a coyote on the run and only if he's having to give it everything he's got and he's still not catching.  Once in a while there'll be a coyote around here that has some real speed and just can't be caught.

As far as making a lurcher that trees, I would prefer that it be silent on track.  I'm going to sell off all of my lurchers that don't tree shortly.  The exception will be my first stag x BC pair.  Those I'll be keeping.  I just get on to well with those two and they are basically part of the family now. 

The other day I picked up a mtn.cur x border collie female and if she works out, I'm going to make another batch of lurchers and see if I can get something that trees well.

I wish I could send a litter of dead game squirrel dogs over there for you folks to play with.  I think you guys would be hooked!

• Like 1