Lurchers That Tree ???

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Dan what’s a fiest? Never heard of them mentioned I don’t think

Just do an image search for:

Mountain Feist

Mullin's Feist

Hybrid Feist

Cajun Squirrel Dog

There's piles of images.  Certainly more than I could post here.  If you want to check out the cur dogs look up:

Kemmer Mountain Cur

Tennessee Treeing Brindle

Stephens Cur

Canadian Cur

Yellow Black Mouthed Cur

Original Mountain Cur

Treeing Curs are any cross of a Mtn. Cur to a hound or feist or some other line of cur. 

The coonhound breeds are:

American Black & Tan

American Leopard Hound

Redbone

Bluetick

Treeing Walker

Plott Hound

English

There are numerous other more obscure lines of curs over here but these are the major ones.

2 hours ago, myersbg said:

I have a mate over there that runs walkers as well, mostly on coon

DSCN0361 (1).JPG

DSCN0359.JPG

Nice, I've had a couple of nice English hounds.  The dumbest dog I've had was also an English hound.  My buddy had a nice English hound that was one of the best dogs I've seen, but he was out of a line of great dogs.  I've had about 5 Treeing Walkers that were very nice and another five that ended up feeding worms.  I've hunted with many, many more.  For the most part, I like a dog that is a little more biddable than the Treeing Walkers and English Hounds.  That is why I gravitated towards the American Leopard Hounds.  They are like the other hounds but with brains.  I like a dog that hunts all of the time at a nice trot and checks in about every 20 mins. if there's nothing to run.  I also like a dog that I can call to me no matter what.  It keeps me coming home on time and out of cold water.  I can't count the number of times I've had to wade through freezing water to go get a dog...not my cup of tea, so to speak.

I like running bobcat and grey fox more than any other animals and it takes a big brain to put up numbers which is anything more than two a day.  The most bobcats I've caught in one day is 4, not counting mothers with kittens.  

Buddy a Cajun Squirrel Dog  (Kemmer Cur x Mullins Feist) I owned that was very smart:

Little Buddy & Me 2002.jpg

Edited by Dan McDonough
Clarifycation
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

They look like a leggy terrier,bigger than a Plummer. 

Google image  fiest or squirrel dogs 

Great thread bring back memories of where the red fern grows lol. Some great pictures very interesting
I thought any dog would tree some thing I guess its what happens next is the important bit. I either shoot the squirrel or if I don't have the gun just encourage or lead him away.
He has enough bad habits with out yapping up trees lol

31139261921_b90c4d8f84_k.jpg

11 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Terrier blooded dog .apparently they are crosses of smooth fox terrier,old white smooth terrier ,jack Russel type terrier that the old English and Irish minor  immigrants took over .they were also used in the rat pits when gambling was rife .the black mouth cur dogs are a nice type dog wich are made up of hound and herding type dogs as well as some of the native dogs 

1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

Terrier blooded dog .apparently they are crosses of smooth fox terrier,old white smooth terrier ,jack Russel type terrier that the old English and Irish minor  immigrants took over .they were also used in the rat pits when gambling was rife .the black mouth cur dogs are a nice type dog wich are made up of hound and herding type dogs as well as some of the native dogs 

BMC's have a dose of bull blood in them.  I've heard stories of one here and one there that were very good but I've been in competition hunts, both for squirrel and for coon, and I've never seen one that I would consider even close to being good.  The best I've seen was below average and hunted to close.  I've hunted with around 20 of them.  I think the major appeal of them is that they can put on the muscle with a fairly light amount of activity. 

4 hours ago, terryd said:

Great thread bring back memories of where the red fern grows lol. Some great pictures very interesting
I thought any dog would tree some thing I guess its what happens next is the important bit. I either shoot the squirrel or if I don't have the gun just encourage or lead him away.
He has enough bad habits with out yapping up trees lol

31139261921_b90c4d8f84_k.jpg

It always surprises me how different things are in the USA compared to the UK.  Over here, unless your a bird hunter, no one wants a silent dog.  For bear, mtn. lion, bobcat, coyote, fox, coon, squirrel, etc., people would cull a silent dog.  At least 2/3 of the coon hunters will cull one just for being silent on track.  No one will hunt one that is silent on the tree too.  Squirrels are pretty tastey.  Cats are supposed to be good but I've not fried up a domestic cat yet and unless the SHTF, I don't plan to either.  I've tried bobcat and it's good.  Lions are really good.  Coon is good if you now how to cook it but the method takes nearly all of the taste out of it, if you get my drift.  Opossum are the same as coon.  No one eats coyotes or fox here though I'll bet they are better than coon.  Rabbits are good.  Most birds are good.  I try to follow what the bible says to eat with the exception of bacon...who doesn't love bacon!