Lurchers That Tree ???

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely not like beef.  It's got a little more flavor to it.  If you get them out of the corn they are better but what isn't.  I got my last bear out of the big North woods and swamps and it was me

Rachel an American Leopard Hound and the best dog I've ever owned or been hunting with:

Well, if that's how you feel try this one on for size.  Some years ago two men we call Chief and Billy were out guiding another man on a bobcat hunt.  There were three dogs with that day.  They were P

Posted Images

Great thread bring back memories of where the red fern grows lol. Some great pictures very interesting
I thought any dog would tree some thing I guess its what happens next is the important bit. I either shoot the squirrel or if I don't have the gun just encourage or lead him away.
He has enough bad habits with out yapping up trees lol

31139261921_b90c4d8f84_k.jpg

11 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Dan what’s a fiest? Never heard of them mentioned I don’t think

Terrier blooded dog .apparently they are crosses of smooth fox terrier,old white smooth terrier ,jack Russel type terrier that the old English and Irish minor  immigrants took over .they were also used in the rat pits when gambling was rife .the black mouth cur dogs are a nice type dog wich are made up of hound and herding type dogs as well as some of the native dogs 

1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

Terrier blooded dog .apparently they are crosses of smooth fox terrier,old white smooth terrier ,jack Russel type terrier that the old English and Irish minor  immigrants took over .they were also used in the rat pits when gambling was rife .the black mouth cur dogs are a nice type dog wich are made up of hound and herding type dogs as well as some of the native dogs 

BMC's have a dose of bull blood in them.  I've heard stories of one here and one there that were very good but I've been in competition hunts, both for squirrel and for coon, and I've never seen one that I would consider even close to being good.  The best I've seen was below average and hunted to close.  I've hunted with around 20 of them.  I think the major appeal of them is that they can put on the muscle with a fairly light amount of activity. 

4 hours ago, terryd said:

Great thread bring back memories of where the red fern grows lol. Some great pictures very interesting
I thought any dog would tree some thing I guess its what happens next is the important bit. I either shoot the squirrel or if I don't have the gun just encourage or lead him away.
He has enough bad habits with out yapping up trees lol

31139261921_b90c4d8f84_k.jpg

It always surprises me how different things are in the USA compared to the UK.  Over here, unless your a bird hunter, no one wants a silent dog.  For bear, mtn. lion, bobcat, coyote, fox, coon, squirrel, etc., people would cull a silent dog.  At least 2/3 of the coon hunters will cull one just for being silent on track.  No one will hunt one that is silent on the tree too.  Squirrels are pretty tastey.  Cats are supposed to be good but I've not fried up a domestic cat yet and unless the SHTF, I don't plan to either.  I've tried bobcat and it's good.  Lions are really good.  Coon is good if you now how to cook it but the method takes nearly all of the taste out of it, if you get my drift.  Opossum are the same as coon.  No one eats coyotes or fox here though I'll bet they are better than coon.  Rabbits are good.  Most birds are good.  I try to follow what the bible says to eat with the exception of bacon...who doesn't love bacon!