Lurchers That Tree ???

7 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Where I live there's more squirrels than rabbits,TBH I have thought about either using the stepsons Russell terrier,if I was getting my own dog either a Plummer terrier or similarly a terrier x beagle . 

I like the first type dogs a treeing feist would be similar to the terrier beagle mix.

Those feist dogs have been bred for a couple of hundred years for their treeing ability.  If I were real serious about it I would be after a mtn. cur because it's easier to find a great one, though if you know where to go, it's the same way with feists.  I'm just not as impressed with the feists.  There are a couple exceptions.  The Mullins feists and the McAndrews feists are top notch.  I hunted with a dog called Dummy, a McAmdrews feist, that was nearly as good as my Jagdterrier that I was competition hunting with at the time.  Both of those dogs were out classed for competition hunting by a Stephens Cur name Skeeter that year.  I don't think a Stephens Cur is likely to be you folks type of dog though.  Most of them are open on track, like the Leopard Hounds.

The nice thing about the Jagdterriers for hunting whatever game you choose is that while they are open on track, most of them sound like a distressed Poodle and aren't likely to attract much attention the way a hound does.  I used to take my dog Raven (Jagd) into the suburban neighborhoods and coon hunt all night long.  I used subsonic .22's so as not to wake people when the game was shot near a house.  As long as I didn't leave Raven treeing for an extended period of time, no one ever seemed to care or even turn their light on.  I would imagine some folks did hear her but she sounded like a lapdog and did not sound like a big dog, though I could hear that screechy voice of hers from a long ways away.  She piled up a lot of fur for me and never caused any trouble.  The only complaints I ever had about that dog was that she was hard to potty train and she was to small to handle coon by herself.  Other than that, she was one of the most productive dogs I've owned.

Are those Plummer Terriers open on track?

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely not like beef.  It's got a little more flavor to it.  If you get them out of the corn they are better but what isn't.  I got my last bear out of the big North woods and swamps and it was me

Rachel an American Leopard Hound and the best dog I've ever owned or been hunting with:

Well, if that's how you feel try this one on for size.  Some years ago two men we call Chief and Billy were out guiding another man on a bobcat hunt.  There were three dogs with that day.  They were P

Posted Images

Just talked to friend that has shipped dogs to the UK recently and she said it costs about $800 (USD), plus the health checks at the vets.  Mtn. Cur pups usually go for around $300.  Trained dogs are 3-10 times more.  Their a lot more fun to raise and train yourself anyhow.  I would think that after all is said and done it should be around $1000.  That works out to 760 pounds for the pup, shipping and health certs.

Edited by Dan McDonough
8 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Where I live there's more squirrels than rabbits,TBH I have thought about either using the stepsons Russell terrier,if I was getting my own dog either a Plummer terrier or similarly a terrier x beagle . 

I like the first type dogs a treeing feist would be similar to the terrier beagle mix.

There’s a fella who lives close to me who shoots/traps a lot of squirrels and he has a Russell that is mustard at hunting squirrels, he will follow them below as they run along the trees then mark them until the fella gets there to have a shot. He’s not a purpose bred dog, I think he got him from a kennel. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dan McDonough said:

Just talked to friend that has shipped dogs to the UK recently and she said it costs about $800 (USD), plus the health checks at the vets.  Mtn. Cur pups usually go for around $300.  Trained dogs are 3-10 times more.  Their a lot more fun to raise and train yourself anyhow.  I would think that after all is said and done it should be around $1000.  That works out to 760 pounds for the pup, shipping and health certs.

I have a dog coming over from Canada in three weeks time, it is costing a lot more than that for shipping, nearly $2000 canadian, i nearly said Fck it, but i have committed myself now and i will have something a bit different.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dan McDonough said:

I used to take my dog Raven (Jagd) into the suburban neighborhoods and coon hunt all night long. 

What sort of numbers would you get on average a night Dan?You still do it?

4 hours ago, Dan McDonough said:

Those feist dogs have been bred for a couple of hundred years for their treeing ability.  If I were real serious about it I would be after a mtn. cur because it's easier to find a great one, though if you know where to go, it's the same way with feists.  I'm just not as impressed with the feists.  There are a couple exceptions.  The Mullins feists and the McAndrews feists are top notch.  I hunted with a dog called Dummy, a McAmdrews feist, that was nearly as good as my Jagdterrier that I was competition hunting with at the time.  Both of those dogs were out classed for competition hunting by a Stephens Cur name Skeeter that year.  I don't think a Stephens Cur is likely to be you folks type of dog though.  Most of them are open on track, like the Leopard Hounds.

The nice thing about the Jagdterriers for hunting whatever game you choose is that while they are open on track, most of them sound like a distressed Poodle and aren't likely to attract much attention the way a hound does.  I used to take my dog Raven (Jagd) into the suburban neighborhoods and coon hunt all night long.  I used subsonic .22's so as not to wake people when the game was shot near a house.  As long as I didn't leave Raven treeing for an extended period of time, no one ever seemed to care or even turn their light on.  I would imagine some folks did hear her but she sounded like a lapdog and did not sound like a big dog, though I could hear that screechy voice of hers from a long ways away.  She piled up a lot of fur for me and never caused any trouble.  The only complaints I ever had about that dog was that she was hard to potty train and she was to small to handle coon by herself.  Other than that, she was one of the most productive dogs I've owned.

Are those Plummer Terriers open on track?

I don't know, I think they are silent 

TBH the dog would be in my sight, I learnt a lot about reading dogs body language when I used to mooch the woods with my shepherd lurcher,I think if you get out there often enough an gel with the dog can get decent rapport going.

7 hours ago, Blackdog92 said:

There’s a fella who lives close to me who shoots/traps a lot of squirrels and he has a Russell that is mustard at hunting squirrels, he will follow them below as they run along the trees then mark them until the fella gets there to have a shot. He’s not a purpose bred dog, I think he got him from a kennel. 

That's all they have to do.  It's still not that easy to find a good one when you want one though.  That guy sure did. :)

3 hours ago, mackem said:

What sort of numbers would you get on average a night Dan?You still do it?

I still coon hunt but Raven's been dead for at least a decade.  I mostly hunt the Leopard Hounds for coon.  If I go all night I can expect to bring home 10 coon if it's a decent night, some times more and most times a few less.  Hunting the corn before harvest is fun but some times the cornfield races take a little longer to end up at the tree so it's not the most efficient way to do it, just the most fun.  Still, got to go where they are, so if they are in the corn then that's where I'll be.

I go as often as I can.  Wife's been working extra late recently so I've only been out in the mornings and on the weekends so far this season.

3 hours ago, myersbg said:

Dan ' have you hunted with Plotts ? my mate that is fetching my dog over has had a few, they seem to be real good tree dogs on coon, and they run Coyote pretty good, i have had some good times hunting with him.DSCN0420.thumb.JPG.8abdc7881585cb7caf9d0d5588f9e397.JPG

I've only owned two Plotts but have hunted quite a bit with them on bear and some on coon.  They are the cats ass for bear as they are very brave and like to have their teeth in something. They are crap for coyotes.  The Treeing Walkers are way better for coyotes and they aren't even close to the running bred dogs like Walkers, Julys and Triggs.  For all around dogs for tree game and coyotes too, I would gowith the Treeing Walker.  For Bobcats, bear and coon I would go with American Leopard Hounds.  The name is stupid and I've always thought so because no one hunts leopards with them, it's just a name that folks came up with because some of them are spotted.  If you want a duel purpose coon and squirrel dog, the Mtn. Curs are the best if you don't mind a silent to semi-silent dog.  If you like and open dog for coon and squirrel, the Stephens Cur is it.  If coyotes is your main thing, I wouldn't even consider anything but a Walker, July or Trigg.  If your solely after squirrels, a Mtn. Cur if you like a medium sized dog or a feist if you like a smaller dog.  Mtn. Curs can do everything from bear to squirrel but if you start them on larger game they won't want to mess with the smaller stuff.  You have to start them on small critters and move them up as they get older.  Many are smart enough to go and catch what you tell them too if you work with them on that while they are young.  If you want to have a coon dog that goes until it's treed no matter what and doesn't have to care about where you are a Treeing Walker out of hard running comp. lines will do the trick.  There are lines of Treeing Walkers that mind though.

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Always liked look of the plotts.

like look of the hound/cur types seem to handle variety of vermin and edible game.

Always liked Plotts too but except for bear, there are other breeds that will do a better job on everything else...a lot better.

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Dan what’s a fiest? Never heard of them mentioned I don’t think

Just do an image search for:

Mountain Feist

Mullin's Feist

Hybrid Feist

Cajun Squirrel Dog

There's piles of images.  Certainly more than I could post here.  If you want to check out the cur dogs look up:

Kemmer Mountain Cur

Tennessee Treeing Brindle

Stephens Cur

Canadian Cur

Yellow Black Mouthed Cur

Original Mountain Cur

Treeing Curs are any cross of a Mtn. Cur to a hound or feist or some other line of cur. 

The coonhound breeds are:

American Black & Tan

American Leopard Hound

Redbone

Bluetick

Treeing Walker

Plott Hound

English

There are numerous other more obscure lines of curs over here but these are the major ones.

2 hours ago, myersbg said:

I have a mate over there that runs walkers as well, mostly on coon

DSCN0361 (1).JPG

DSCN0359.JPG

Nice, I've had a couple of nice English hounds.  The dumbest dog I've had was also an English hound.  My buddy had a nice English hound that was one of the best dogs I've seen, but he was out of a line of great dogs.  I've had about 5 Treeing Walkers that were very nice and another five that ended up feeding worms.  I've hunted with many, many more.  For the most part, I like a dog that is a little more biddable than the Treeing Walkers and English Hounds.  That is why I gravitated towards the American Leopard Hounds.  They are like the other hounds but with brains.  I like a dog that hunts all of the time at a nice trot and checks in about every 20 mins. if there's nothing to run.  I also like a dog that I can call to me no matter what.  It keeps me coming home on time and out of cold water.  I can't count the number of times I've had to wade through freezing water to go get a dog...not my cup of tea, so to speak.

I like running bobcat and grey fox more than any other animals and it takes a big brain to put up numbers which is anything more than two a day.  The most bobcats I've caught in one day is 4, not counting mothers with kittens.