Lurchers That Tree ???

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely not like beef.  It's got a little more flavor to it.  If you get them out of the corn they are better but what isn't.  I got my last bear out of the big North woods and swamps and it was me

Rachel an American Leopard Hound and the best dog I've ever owned or been hunting with:

Well, if that's how you feel try this one on for size.  Some years ago two men we call Chief and Billy were out guiding another man on a bobcat hunt.  There were three dogs with that day.  They were P

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Dan McDonough said:

Does anyone out there have lurchers that tree?  I would like to know if you have and what cross did it.  I'm expecting a collie cross but anything could happen. 

There's not really much in the uk to tree to be honest dan . Squirrels feral cats and some fox if pushed hard will get up in to large fallen trees but any lurcher of any breeding will do that . 

However over here we don't want are lurcher to bark/open up on quarry so we don't praise a dog for barking at quarry in trees.

i like the look of them black mouth cur dogs and the fiest dogs you lads over there use for squirrels.i love hunting squirrels with a 410 and always watching the vids on YouTube of some the squirrel dog championship 

I had a Jagdterrier female that made up to 2nd in the nation on the squirrel dog of the year list.  Our last trial was in Oct. and shortly thereafter she started sliding down the list as there are plenty of trials after Oct. in the South.  I only competition hunted for two years for squirrel but it was a fun time.  I got pretty hooked on running bobcats and everything else went by the wayside. 

I nearly won the Leopard Hound World Hunt but my dog trashed off on a bobcat that kept jumping out of the trees and took the cast quite a ways out.  We had a 70+ year old man in the cast and had a difficult time making it back to the trucks after that and the whole cast got scratched for coming in after the deadline.  That 70+ year old man's dog would have got second place too.

After I got into that fine line of Leopards and shook off the competition hunting bug, I spent 10 years raising and training bobcat dogs out of those Leopards and did real well with them.

I plan on breeding my stag x border collie female to one of my leopard studs this winter and that will be my second try at making lurchers that tree.  This summer I had a litter of Kemmer Mtn.Cur x Stags and I kept a yellow colored male out of that litter.  He'll be the first one to get worked on tree game, and then the leopard cross.

If you've been watching the squirrel dogs then your well aware that there are a lot of dogs that move a track and tree on scent having never laid eyes on the animal they are baring at.  That's a tree dog.  If you could watch a good video on coonhunting you'd see it in spades.  That's the name of the game in coon hunting.

If you have a bunch of squirrels and not very many squirrel hunters over there, you would serious have a blast with a well bred squirrel dog.  If you ever want to ship one over there, I know a man that has been making some of the very best in the country for around 30 years.  His name is Larry Albrecht, he's in Green Iowa and his kennel name is Coldwater Kennels.  He farms dogs for the pet market (lapdogs) but also breed a line of Mtn. Curs that are world class.  I've owned several dogs from Larry and they were all very nice.  That's saying a lot considering I've owned about a dozen from him.  Not a dud in the bunch.  Some were great, most were good but no culls.  I'd be happy to help you line it up if you ever decide to pull the trigger on one.

I used to have a squirrel dog that was a mtn. cur x mullins feist.  His name was Buddy and he was the single smartest dog I've ever owned.  He was a great squirrel dog and a good coon dog but it was his other antics that really made me think.  He could navigate traffic like you or I.  He was supremely aware of what everyone around him was doing at all times.  He also had a route of about 8 miles around the area and he would go out once a week and check all of the female dogs along this route.  He ran loose most of his life and I nearly never had to look for him.  He and a terrier I had removed the 18 cats when I bought a small farm farther out in the country.  When the cats got smart, he would catch something and leave it out in the barn yard until one of the cats came out to check it out, them WAM.  In the end, I was more concerned with bobcat hunting and I sold him to buy a fancy new dog box...should have never sold that dog.  He did train a boat load of pups for me while I had him though.  If I'd have sat down and really thought about it, he was the most valuable dog I had.

Just now, Navek said:

Loads coon in uk ..just not raccoons lol 

Someone told me about two separate magazine polls.  One was in Country Life and one was in Ebony.  Each poll asked what peoples 3 biggest fears were.  The results of the Country Life poll was Nuclear War, A Major Terrorist Attack and A Close Family Member Dying.  The results from the Ebony poll were Ghosts, Dogs and The Mail Man.  

One time I was visiting a girl down in New Orleans, Louisiana and her roommate had a black lab.  I went for a walk one morning and asked the roommate if I could walk her dog for her.  Every single black person on the street moved to the other side of the street when they saw me coming with that black dog.  I live in a pretty white area.  I see a black person here about once a month and they are usually just traveling through and stopping for gas.  I asked around about this deal with the dog and was told that black people (in general) don't like dogs and especially not black dogs.  This was quite some time before I had heard of the magazine polls.

I know a few black fellas that love dogs just as much as I do and are pretty good handlers but I sure don't think that's the norm.

10 minutes ago, Dan McDonough said:

Someone told me about two separate magazine polls.  One was in Country Life and one was in Ebony.  Each poll asked what peoples 3 biggest fears were.  The results of the Country Life poll was Nuclear War, A Major Terrorist Attack and A Close Family Member Dying.  The results from the Ebony poll were Ghosts, Dogs and The Mail Man.  

One time I was visiting a girl down in New Orleans, Louisiana and her roommate had a black lab.  I went for a walk one morning and asked the roommate if I could walk her dog for her.  Every single black person on the street moved to the other side of the street when they saw me coming with that black dog.  I live in a pretty white area.  I see a black person here about once a month and they are usually just traveling through and stopping for gas.  I asked around about this deal with the dog and was told that black people (in general) don't like dogs and especially not black dogs.  This was quite some time before I had heard of the magazine polls.

I know a few black fellas that love dogs just as much as I do and are pretty good handlers but I sure don't think that's the norm.

Majority of Asian ( mussies not chinks lol) don't like dogs .. I loved walking my mums old dog through the market and terrifying the mussies lol .