Job reference

So im going for a new job, been at my current place for 3 years and just finished a diploma in horticulture. With the new qualification i looked for better place to work, less hours and more money and my current place dosent give one $hit about the workers.

went for interview, medical, aptitude tests and everythings going fine and just waiting on my start date, then they ask why one of my references won't reply to them. I got in touch with current manager and he says "I cant give you a reference because you are still an employee here, and i cant give you one until you leave" has anyone ever heard anything like this or is the man full of it? bit of a catch 22 for if i leave and still wont give a reference im buggered

Was reading that he dosen't have to give a reference, he agreed to before i started my diploma now i have it he came out with this, though i didnt really think that was a good excuse and is doing it just to be akward for he can't keep people in the place, il get on to solicitor and get in touch with my hopefully new employer, plus i wouldnt have put him down if id done anything that would go against me, have to face him tomorow i could give him a few bad things to say about me, needs hit with a spade lol

A solicitor couldn't make him give a reference, but the story about not being able to give a reference while you work their is rubbish. Obviously no-one would ever be able to change jobs if that was the case.

In fact forget the solicitor just simply ask him I he prepared too write it down for you and sign it mate his reaction will suprise you I guess , not sure what trade you in but nobody can treat you like they , or they will only if you let them 

Maybe you could skin them for more coin out the situation ,? Good luck 

Just now, walshie said:

A solicitor couldn't make him give a reference, but the story about not being able to give a reference while you work their is rubbish. Obviously no-one would ever be able to change jobs if that was the case.

You would be having to leave your job for every new application, he's a sour twat. Hopefully the new place sees it the same way, plus the conversation was done by text message which i can show to the new place, i asked him could he verify it with the new firm that this was the case and wouldnt text back or answer his phone knowing hes wrong.  normally chatting to him about anything like this he denies or says theres no proof of the conversation if theres a kick up. like a rabbit in a purse net hes caught this time

• Like 1
1 minute ago, arcticgun said:

In fact forget the solicitor just simply ask him I he prepared too write it down for you and sign it mate his reaction will suprise you I guess , not sure what trade you in but nobody can treat you like they , or they will only if you let them 

Maybe you could skin them for more coin out the situation ,? Good luck 

Its a big grounds maintenance/landscaping contractor here in ni, wouldnt ask them for a payrise for it would be twisted on me some way cant wait to get out theyre a bundle of gangsters, and the uniform is PINK ffs lol

9 minutes ago, walshie said:

Though i read something about if the reference causes me to lose a job place unfairly it can be trouble but im not sure on the ins and outs of it

Nobody could make him do it if he hell bent on refusing but it's not allowed under employment act , seen it played out in social work setting , worst you can do is refuse too comment , I don't think your allowed too be negative hence why many won't comment 

However in this case it's too impede the lad leaving and realising his potential etc it would buy e employment tribunal claim, and if he faultless employee they toast he could loose out on better wage etc 

Most managers know company policy but lack when it's the bigger picture , by solicitor I  meant getting reassurance he in the right which he is  , 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, elliotmcc said:

Its a big grounds maintenance/landscaping contractor here in ni, wouldnt ask them for a payrise for it would be twisted on me some way cant wait to get out theyre a bundle of gangsters, and the uniform is PINK ffs lol

They pulling ya chain pal for sure, speak too your new potential employer n fill him in on it , sounds like your better away very best of luck 

• Like 1