Pike fishing advise

23 hours ago, elliotmcc said:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Rod-Carp-Set-Up-With-Shelter-Bivvy-Tent-Carp-Fishing-Set-Rods-Reels-Bait-Bag/291514580393?hash=item43df9f7da9

All you really need is traces for deadbait think theres a cheaper one without the bivvy on there somewhere aswell

23 hours ago, elliotmcc said:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Rod-Carp-Set-Up-With-Shelter-Bivvy-Tent-Carp-Fishing-Set-Rods-Reels-Bait-Bag/291514580393?hash=item43df9f7da9

All you really need is traces for deadbait think theres a cheaper one without the bivvy on there somewhere aswell

I did look at these bud bud would it be buying cheap buy twice. I'm not saying I'm wanting to spend loads but I want something that's going to last. 

hi bud, there's a few ways to fish for pike, spinner/lure or live/dead bait, in which case i've always had a few rods for each, i have a 10ft telescopic spinning rod for the spin/lure fishing and a carp rod for live/dead bait fishing, in the past i haven't been a fan of the telescopic rods, but i found a rod made by diawa, and it's been a really good rod, i'm not too sure of the make of the carp rod, it but i think it's a 2 1/2- 2 7/5 test curve, the reason for a few rods are the length of the rod butts, the spinning rod butt is a lot shorter making it easier to cast spinners/lures, where as (i find) the carp rods butt, is to long for the spin/retrieve, (it's a pain in the backside) plus the rod, just doesn't perform right,

i'm not a fan of buying (rods/reels) of the internet unless iv'e already had it in my hand, and felt the feel/balance/weight/action of them first, but that's just me.....you could ask the guy in the shop for which reel goes with each rod, then pick the one that feels right for you on the rod you choose, i use 12lb line for spin/lure/dead bait, you can pick your own spinners/lures, as that's probably a personal choice, buy wire traces (treble size 8-6) or make your own, for dead baits, and traces for your spin/lures (i normally  carry half a dozen of each), also, get a few different sized pike bungs for different waters, (lake/river/canels) get the ones with the slit in the side with the removable bar in the middle, then you can switch from ledger to float without having to cut your line to put the bung on...long handled forceps, some smaller ledger weights, to help sink your dead baits (if they need it), weighing scales, big landing net with a telescopic handle, i also have a leather glove in my kit which saves your knuckles get cut when you hold the fish under the gills, get a good comfortable bag for your tackle that you can sling on you shoulder while your spinning/luring so you don't need to carry anything by hand, you can just keep walking and fishing, but most importantly............your thermos for them cold mornings......

hope this points you in the right direction bud.......Tilly     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks ks for the input guys. Well I've decided my bass rods will be perfect for the pike but the reels I've got are well and truly knackered. I've been looking at shimano bait runners but what size should I get? 

Also it will be dead bait fishing 

I have a major craft spinning rod that I've used for bass in the past it wouldn't have enough guts for the river where I'll be fishing but think it will be ok on some of the open waters.

Do you guys make your own wire traces or buy them already made also what breaking strain should I use. 

Regards. 

hi bud, if your going to use a baitrunner,  3000-5000 models will be ok, you don't need a big line capacity reel, as you won't be casting out dead bait, loads of yards,  i would have thought the 3000-4000 models, could hold 150-180 yards of 12lb line, that would be enough for your needs,

i use to make my own traces, the initial lay out is more, but saves in the long run.....my traces were 20-25lb with size 8-6 trebles, the ones for dead bait were 10-12 inches long, and the spinner ones were 6-8 inches, the reason for this is, when you are dead baiting, your leaving the bait for a longer time when the pike is playing around with it, normally the bait gets taken deeper down it's mouth, hence the longer trace, whereas, when your using a spinner, the pike hits that lure instantly, usually hooking it in the side of the mouth, hence, the shorter trace,  buy your wire/trebles/crimps/snap swivels/line swivels.....then have a look on line on how to make them, your be pleased you made them yourself, i know i did....

Tilly 

19 hours ago, tillylamp said:

hi bud, if your going to use a baitrunner,  3000-5000 models will be ok, you don't need a big line capacity reel, as you won't be casting out dead bait, loads of yards,  i would have thought the 3000-4000 models, could hold 150-180 yards of 12lb line, that would be enough for your needs,

i use to make my own traces, the initial lay out is more, but saves in the long run.....my traces were 20-25lb with size 8-6 trebles, the ones for dead bait were 10-12 inches long, and the spinner ones were 6-8 inches, the reason for this is, when you are dead baiting, your leaving the bait for a longer time when the pike is playing around with it, normally the bait gets taken deeper down it's mouth, hence the longer trace, whereas, when your using a spinner, the pike hits that lure instantly, usually hooking it in the side of the mouth, hence, the shorter trace,  buy your wire/trebles/crimps/snap swivels/line swivels.....then have a look on line on how to make them, your be pleased you made them yourself, i know i did....

Tilly 

Thanks tilly . I went and got some reels today shimano 10000 they are a bit large but will do. . I also got some rig making gear wire trace crimps pliers etc. 

Letting the lad have a day off tomoz as I'm on weekends so hopefuly get him to land a pike too. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1