Finding homes for shot birds

Not sure what it’s like for the rest of the country but having trouble in Northamptonshire finding a place who’ll take our birds, couple of chaps who run other shoots I know are having the same problem, the game dealer we used to use has packed up! If anyone in Northamptonshire Area has a market for them please let me know! I’m not being part of a shoot that chucks away birds! You have to question what and why your doing it if it comes to that...  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How the industry and greater sport adapts to this problem will be a large factor in it's future survival! If the consumer continues to demand big days with harvesting the meat of secondary or no

Just a little off topic , in season i pick and sell a lot of the fungus called BLEWITS i usually do well in the first two weeks of November , over the last few years the market for these has diminishe

YOU WILL SELL THEM AT MELTON MARKET UP TILL XMAS AFTER THAT THEY WILL NOT GET A BID  , AT THAT TIME LAST THEY MADE TEN PENCE A BRACE BUT YOU HAD TO BUY 50 BRACE AT A TIME AND A LOT REMAINED UNSOLD

Same problem all over mate there worth 10pence each , You give a brace to each gun then see if they want to buy more ready prepared Or try selling them ready prepared in a wee tray wrapped in cling film 

15 minutes ago, Jarvis said:

Not sure what it’s like for the rest of the country but having trouble in Northamptonshire finding a place who’ll take our birds, couple of chaps who run other shoots I know are having the same problem, the game dealer we used to use has packed up! If anyone in Northamptonshire Area has a market for them please let me know! I’m not being part of a shoot that chucks away birds! You have to question what and why your doing it if it comes to that...  

YOU WILL SELL THEM AT MELTON MARKET UP TILL XMAS AFTER THAT THEY WILL NOT GET A BID  , AT THAT TIME LAST THEY MADE TEN PENCE A BRACE BUT YOU HAD TO BUY 50 BRACE AT A TIME AND A LOT REMAINED UNSOLD

LAST WEEK AT MELTON

PHEAS     £1 A BRACE 

PART        £1   A BRACE

MALL        £1  A BRACE

RABBITS     £5 .50  A COUPLE       

• Like 1

What quantity are you talking about? On our shoot, the lads drop off all remaining birds to my place and I dress them and deliver to our local butcher ( who is already moaning about not having enough) and we get paid handsomely. By the way, I pluck and present the birds properly as a brace which his customers really like. This way you can put aside birds that are beyond saving and then the ferrets are looked after. Another good customer is the local Indian restaraunt who will not only take birds but will prepare you a gourmet curry using your own birds, for nowt. Use a bit of imagination . Jok.

• Thanks 1

West indians andChinese  buy a lot of pheasants if they can get them at good price, later in the season when the price drops to 10/15 pence  the will buy a hundred brace at a time , they buy a lot of eggs as well. .

What quantity are you talking about? On our shoot, the lads drop off all remaining birds to my place and I dress them and deliver to our local butcher ( who is already moaning about not having enough) and we get paid handsomely. By the way, I pluck and present the birds properly as a brace which his customers really like. This way you can put aside birds that are beyond saving and then the ferrets are looked after. Another good customer is the local Indian restaraunt who will not only take birds but will prepare you a gourmet curry using your own birds, for nowt. Use a bit of imagination . Jok.

there are a lot of curry places in Leiecester and some of them are very good but if you order a dish that contains off the bone chicken you will get the lowest grade of mechanically recovered  chicken meat you can buy it comes from Holland and it is shit, the stuff you get in the chinkeys is worse

Stumfelter. Only an opinion , and only mine. When a shoot is charging £35.00 plus vat for every bird shot, is it not common sense to ask someone to take away the residue at .30p each.? Now don't get me wrong. I don't agree with any of it but financially it would work. My concern is that the birds could be introduced into the food chain if we were only allowed to let them. Health and hygiene have made it a tad difficult. Again, only my opinion. Jok.

All the birds from the shoot not used I’m involved with go to Belgium, picked up weekly .pheasant , partridge-and , ducks ..some are done in house oven ready that get sold in the farm shop , nothing goes to waste . Local pubs and restaurants buy loads oven ready ..There is a market out there for them but you need to work at it ..